The only thing that needs to change…

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Matari, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Matari Augur

I am going to keep this post simple. Small groups have been the backbone of EverQuest since its March 16, 1999. Gaining experience was never fast, but there was always progress to be made even with limit amounts of time invested.

Fast forward to today. Requiring hails for experience IS THE LOWEST BLOW the developers have ever given the community PERIOD. Who cares whether or not this game survives the transition into the new company. If there is not a complete reversal of this new formula, this game is not going to survive the next expansion.
  2. Brohg Augur

lolwut?
    Iila, beryon, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  3. Coronay Augur

So don't hail mobs! Just kill them!
  4. Cicelee Augur

There are other places you can burn a lesson than a Gribble HA. Trust me. There are zones out there. Seriously.

And being a player since February 2000, I am 100% confident I can think of 26,735 things that have happened in game that are far worse than hailing a COTF HA mob at the end for your AA. Other veteran players may yield similar results...
    Lisandra and Benzarden like this.
  5. silku Augur

I would imagine, though I could be wrong, the OP is talking about the quest system in TDS that requires you for instance to hail Ognit 12 times followed by 3 more.. for just the very first progression quest in the zone.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree that TDS went way way overboard on all the hailing of NPCs.
  7. Cicelee Augur

OP was referring to hails for experience. Which with the change of COTF HA, you get all your experience on your final hail. At least that is what I am presuming...
  8. Benzarden Augur

He said, "requiring hails for experience," not hails for progression. So who knows what this guy was referring to. Or why he felt the need to create the 17th thread currently discussing what Daybreak needs to change, OR ELSE!

If he's referring to the hails for TDS progression, the devs said it was so that we could see the lore, but admitted it was probably not the best method to effectuate it. I wouldn't expect to see this in future content.

If he's referring to the Gribble nerfs, get over it. The amount of experience you receive hasn't changed. The reward for completing those HAs is still ridiculously high compared to the risk. People were sidestepping the lockout timers they instituted, so they had to do something or people would never leave. 3 days after TDS launch, probably 90% of my guild was chain running Gribble missions to grind xp. That's most likely not what they were hoping for 3 days after an expansion launch.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Famka Elder

The amount of xp you receive HAS changed, you get nearly nothing for any mob that isn't required for the task, so if there's a lot of them in the way, with no good way to skip them, you are not getting the same xp as before the nerf. If you used these HAs to do lesson or xp potions... you know.
  10. Questoften32 Augur

Lore is important, this is not a hack and slash dungeon crawler/finder game. Never was.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree with the get over it part but maybe the cotf missions shouldn't have scaled up to 105 if they didn't want people doing them when TDS came out. Mobs could have topped out at level 100. It did seem that at the time the devs were acting with a split personality. One wanted CotF to remain part of the post 100 experience and they other one wanted them to leave it for TDS. We also have to remember that TDS exp and the TDS experience wasn't the same at start as it is now. TDS had changes too.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Whose to say they didn't try to take into account the number of mobs you would have to go through when they set the exp for each HA. I do miss using lessons on HA though.
  13. segap Augur

They didn't. Neriak HAs were a lot more exp if you killed everything. You only need to kill about 20% of the mobs to complete it and invis past the rest. It also lowered the exp gained for people even a few levels lower than the highest member in the group, removed race/class exp bonuses and full group exp bonuses. As well as several other aspects that lost effectiveness.

It is what it is, but I think there were a lot of unintended consequences from them doing a quick, reactionary change. In the original threads for the first round change, people even asked outright if they'd be able to drop task to avoid the lockout and the developers replied yes. They knew people would still chain them over and over again and seemed ok with it at first.

And the thing a lot of people missed is that there was a time threshold after which it was more efficient to complete them and get the hail exp rather than drop and restart. I know several people that leveled much slower than I did by recycling when I moved between 5 different ones taking the completion bonus and then working on some TDS progression with the rest of my time for the night.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Good points although what I meant was the minimum number of mobs needed to be killed were taken into account when they awarded the exp at the end. I have to assume they used some criteria to determin the exp and didn't just toss an amount out to each one.

I don't think the exp we are getting from CotF is bad considering its not the current expansion. But you are right all those bonuses were lost.
  15. Rykard Augur

Just my thoughts....

I am gladly not near this expansion but, let the players level and play their way. If a player runs out of content because he bypassed the the game was meant to be played, the void of content following the easier play will be on them.

To get players to play in the current, stop nerfing exp, abilities, or whatever else maybe next on the list and let them play their way.

Rykard
    Fenudir likes this.
  16. Barton The Mischievous

It is bad design not just for players but for the company if I don't get Exp until I hail the last npc in the mission I have no reason to spend money on and use a potion for bonus exp putting more money in Daybreak's Pockets. Horrible design you should want me to get exp from everything so I am more likely to spend money on perishable store items.
    Scila likes this.
  17. svann Augur

I dont care at all about the mob xp vs turnin xp. But the only thing I could possibly get out of a cotf HA at this point, aside from helping someone, was merc xp. Now I cant get even that. Sorry guys. Not running cotf till my merc can xp there.
    Caell likes this.
  18. Kellaer Augur

Haha. Yes. The only thing in Everquest that needs to change is the amount of hails you do. That will fix everything.
    Iila likes this.
  19. Matari Augur

These forums are loaded with trolls...

Experience based a completion of task instead of per kill has eliminated almost my entire friend list. Not everyone out there has the ability to complete a HA in 10 minutes.

Don't think for a second this is just about HAs. Most people don't complete a long term goal in one sitting. You break the goal up into smaller tasks. 30 minutes before work and after work add up. The only caveat is must play content that you manage with your current setup. Ding 101 and experience earned for killing that said content is reduced to 0 for many players.

Only have 30 to 45 minutes to play? Not worth logging in anymore...
  20. Dre. Altoholic

I agree that being blocked from progression when you missed a hail, failed to acquire a quest, hailed an NPC while you were invisible, or missed an update because you were on a different step than the rest of your group, or any other similar situation can be extremely frustrating.

One way to fix this could be when you kill an NPC, loot a quest item, or take any action that satisfies a step of a quest you do not currently have, the action triggers a dialogue box "Do you wish to accept the quest XYZ' and you are awarded with the appropriate update, regardless of prerequisites. This would at least permit you to contribute in groups, and backtrack at your own leisure.

Obviously you might not want to be spammed with quest offers constantly, so this should come with a toggle akin to 'Allow automatic quest adds'