The fate of Powersources in EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by verakis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. verakis New Member

I just wanted to get others thoughts as to the availability and functionality to the powersources currently in game. I have xorbb's power sources and the new geomantic steelstones from the new expansion. In my own opinion neither of these powersources are by any means functional in game with the exception of magelo fodder to up the rankings without actual players characters actual playtime statistics. Currently in game everyone is still using the same powersources for regular grouping and raiding which is the elite energians from the Solteris expansion. Is there any plans to actually make any of these new powersources more functional for full time use? I would think there is a few options. I know everyone I talk to would love to have upgraded powersources for full time use.

1. Make powersources rechargeable by trades IE, an item that is tradeskillable to recharge specific energians or strictly player made energians?

2. Maybe do something to the effect of once you loot one in an expansion you can then buy that powersource with that expansions currency from Heroic Adventures?

3. I think most people would even entertain questing for a new expansions powersources.

4. Make an expansions powersources apart of the rewards for expansion progression as an option for reward.

I dunno what is SOE's long term plan is for powersources. But I think everyone would agree looting a new powersource just to use it up in 2 days is kind of a bummer. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Items that deplete or have charges are by (The Water Boy) definition...da devil!

I'd pay 10k aa to make food, ps or tribute effects last forever without the annoyance of having to remember to toggle them!
  3. Marshall Maathers Augur

I use the dredge PSes on TDS raids. I don't need them elsewhere.

I have 9 of them, which should last me a while.
    Dibab likes this.
  4. Zentara Augur

Use them when you need to, don't when you don't. It's pretty simple.
  5. Maeryn Augur

If they wanted permanent stats from the slot they would just make the slot no different from a finger or back slot. Equip a permanent item and get those stats.

Instead they want to give tradeskillers an item to make for stats that are pretty trivial to have all the time for most players from Solteris PS and also made TDS PS so someone can have additional stats just for named or with more time spent farming for raids.

The Xorbb PS rarity is absurd and pretty much just ignore the existence of the item. TDS PS a reasonable amount of time or plat will allow you to have additional stats when you want them the most and most likely some people even use them all the time.

That change to permanent stats largely happened with charm slot switching from stats you sometimes had to stats from Cultural, Class Gear, Progression or Faction (Shards and PoWar) since VoA and the legendarily terrible when drunk charm as well as other charms with extremely limited value.
  6. smash Augur

They ok as they are.

They should be so you use them on important targets, not something you use 24/7.

If you do need 1 just to stay alive on trash, then you should consider if you at the right spot.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  7. Pwnography Augur

While I believe Xorbbs were rare enough for the longest time to have no real practical use for nearly all of us, I've found that the new power sources drop frequently enough to be actually viable. Given that I only equip the Geomantic in raids, my current power source has lasted me the last month and hasn't dropped significantly. By farming a few of them, I expect they will carry me through the entire expansion without any issue. The same goes for most players I know.

I think the implementation of them was built around situational use. I can't imagine stocking enough to use them constantly 24/7, but for situations where they matter, I think a decent balance was made here. For group players, throwing them on only for challenging missions or named may just give that worthwhile boost.

I disagree that they're only for magelo padding. I think we've seen a dramatic improvement over the Xorbb situation here. Having a much stronger power source than stock, vendor-purchased ones for instances when you need a boost doesn't bother me. My only complaint is I wish they were included in Bandoliers so I don't have to rummage through my bags (and that the Geomantic and Metal look identical, so sometimes I mistakenly leave it on - please change this!)
    Iila likes this.
  8. Mintalie Augur

I use my Combine Power for raids only. Otherwise I use the player made ones, and occasionally the Xorbbs I stocked up on several months ago.
  9. Ghubuk Augur

I would like to see the new ps's stackable. Even 5 or 10 stack would be excellent.
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I don't use power sources at all, and those who've grouped with me pick me over end-game raiders of the same class despite my group gear, and lack of PS.

Happily, skill > all in this game.

When I returned to EQ, I found two things annoying, the other being that suddenly, I have Bard songs. :( Happily, Power Sources aren't a big deal. I do have to sing my freaking songs though. :/
    Sancus likes this.
  11. RPoo Augur

Dang, Q, why don't you just play nekkid =P
    Silv and Mintalie like this.
  12. Edrick Augur

It's evident from your posts here that you have a very high opinion of yourself.
    Crystilla and Mintalie like this.
  13. Mykaylla Augur

I understand why they don't stack now, but it would be nice if you instead looted a "Sealed _______" that stacked, which you can click to produce the wearable power source. They could be no-trade if that's the concern, it's just the lack of stacking being rather annoying.
    Mintalie, Evercluck and Edrick like this.
  14. Silentchaos Augur

Yeah, they really ought to change the graphic on the geomantic steelstone. The combine power shard looks so dope tho.
    Mintalie and Maedhros like this.
  15. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Been there, done that. Back in the day, when gear varied, my stat of choice was Charisma. Hitpoints and AC were so low on my list that I did play essentially naked. I learned well how not to get aggro! I would do it again today if I could trade thousands of Hitpoints and AC for just a little Spell Damage or slightly improved foci.

My 90k-ish hps make me feel like a tank in comparison!

After all the time I've spent challenging myself in this game, and avoiding the easy path, something would be very wrong if I wasn't highly-skilled at it.