The EQ Show is looking for Hardcore raid/guild leaders

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fading Illusion, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Spellfire Augur

2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Triton was not the first guild to wake the sleeper.

Too lazy to fact check the rest.
  3. Arrrowheade New Member

You are correct in the timing for waking the Sleeper. I was not in Triton when that happened. I was in Wudan on Rallos Zek server where the Sleeper was first killed. Wudan and Ascending Dawn had that rare moment of collaboration between bitter enemies. I believe that a Wudan wizard named Trylun got the kill shot. My memories of that night were significant for the vast number of participants and the spirit of the night.

In answer to other messages; I am not accustomed to following these pages closely. I read them but rarely find the need or desire to engage. My comments to the folks in RoI are tongue in cheek. When I first started in 1999 I would have been willing to get up at 5 for a raid. Just not so much anymore. That does not mean that I do not have respect for that dedication. However, it is hard to make comparisons for speed of progression. Perhaps our friends at DayBreak could change the lockout timers to full days; 4 or 5 days. This would level that field.

The race and disinformation are legendary.

Fading: I think a very cool thing would be for me to try and get Zaar to chat with you. He was the leader that started Triton and he has many more stories than these. Let me follow up on that.
    Fading Illusion likes this.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You have to define "hardcore" a bit more. Is it a time-investment thing, or a skill* thing? These are not interchangeable terms.

*Skill I define as the ability to execute a complicated plan without error.

In the old days guilds used to raid 5-6 days a week due to a combination of more content and not being able to clear all of the content quickly and easily. However, I'd also argue that the average skill of players in that era was also lacking compared to modern EQ. Raids like Fennin Ro, Tunat Muram, or Overlord Mata Muram as hard as they were during their respective eras in no way compare to something like Triunity or Unfettered Emerald Excellence in the level of skill required to beat.

No guild I'm aware of on live raids that much anymore because there isn't enough raid content...and even if there was I doubt most guilds would be dedicated enough to raid that much. You have to take into account when EQ first came out the core demographic was people in their late teens/early 20s that were in high school / college. That core of people now has an average age in the late 30s / early 40s. Most of them just don't have as much time to dedicate to a video game. But the flip side is the average skill of those players is much higher now because the content requires it.

When it comes to TLPs, most TLP guilds spend a lot more time raiding than live guilds do, but then their content is also much, much easier compared to live and the skill of many of those guilds is...lacking to put it mildly. Certainly there are skilled players on TLPs, but based on what I've seen (in game and watching a few streams) they are in far fewer number.

My point is mainly that you need to define what you're looking for a little more.
    Duder, Axxius, Ssdar and 3 others like this.
  5. Mizen Baenre Lorekeeper

Not really a suggestion for your post, but I really like your show. It touches on a lot of cool topics that I would have never known about. Can I make a suggestion to reach out to R.A. Salvatore about his experience playing EQ? He had some interviews in the past on print and I think he would kill it on a show like yours talking about his experiences with EverQuest.
    Elyssanda likes this.