Tax inconsistency

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by yepmetoo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Went to subscribe a couple of tertiary accounts that I tend to do month to month and let lapse when I don't have a lot of time. Noticed something odd.

First account, $14.99 + $0.98 tax. Normal, what has been happening since they started adding taxes last year.

Second account, $14.99 + $0.00 tax. No taxes on it.

What are the parameters on whether or not your account subscription (and other purchases) are being taxed?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Seriously?o_O
    You can research this internet/state required tax online stuff yourself if your that worried about it. You will find interesting facts like in Illinois, Snickers are taxed at a higher rate than Twix because foods containing flour don't count as candy.

So perhaps second account was not taxed because the character is a ranger and they die enough as it is?
  3. Barton The Mischievous

Tax should be by state. How they determine that umm not sure.
  4. svann Augur

Are you asking to be taxed on the 2nd account?
    Because thats how you get taxed on the 2nd account!
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

Do all of the accounts have the same billing address/etc and is one billed/paid through Steam and the latter direct to DBG? I've always wondered who assesses sales tax when users pay from a Steam wallet.

The "parameters" can differ from jurisdiction and in some cases whether or not nexus exists with the taxing jurisdiction. I'd imagine a consumer software/e-service company would be somewhat cut and dry and just have a payment processing solution that compares zip code/state to a table. Having a payment/distribution intermediary like Valve [might] muddy the waters, but I'm not sure. In some jurisdictions it can get messy where you have to draw the line between what a "product" is versus a "service" if the tax rules differ.

State tax can be complicated, that's why I've avoided it in my career :)