Taunt

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Nylrem, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Nylrem Augur

From what I have been told, if a tank clicks taunt, if it is successful, it puts them 1 point of hate above the highest PC or pet on the hate list, EXCLUDING themselves... is this true?

I have been given this as a reason why tanks do not constantly click taunt, every time it is available, because, if they are a good bit higher than the next PC/pet, then it will actually REDUCE their hate.

I play a magician as a main, and I know for certain that my pet's taunt does not work this way.

If it really does work that way, could you please change it so that it puts the tanks 1 point above everyone, including themselves if they have the highest hate, so there is no possible detriment to using taunt, if they actually want agro?
  2. Braveheart Augur

This has been a subject for argument for years. Truth be told, I have mashed taunt for some time now. Taunt is +1 over whom ever is top on aggro. It appears to add +1 if you are on top. Sony rolling out the disc Barbed Tongue--which does a DD proc everytime you taunt--is proof positive that mashing taunt is as designed. I would also like to mention I hold aggro on every full raid burns, this with our necro's approaching 100k dps.
  3. silku Augur

It also puts them +1 over pet aggro. When grouping with a tank that has trouble holding aggro, I can tell them to ride taunt and then send in a charmed pet and they have no problems anymore,.
  4. Explicit Augur

My only qualm with taunt is that it fails roughly 80% of the time, but I heard something was in the works maybe for warriors only in regards to taunt.
  5. Nylrem Augur

23 successful taunts out of 40 just now, when I tested with a 95 SK with 230/230 taunt skill.

I would say that is a fair bit better than 20% success.
  6. Explicit Augur

My point was more that it fails a heck of a lot more than it ever should, the statistic was for funsies and to give kind of an idea of what's goin on.
  7. Gladare Augur

Doesn't mob level affect taunt success? Taunting a lb beetle in SL isn't the same as taunting a raid target.
  8. Riou EQResource

Mob level relative to you does unless they changed it
  9. shiftie Augur

tanks do not click taunt b/c they need it to be ready when it is needed instead of down. In days of old that was all that was available, clicking it when you were top of hatelist meant you were basically doing nothing and so you saved it for when someone drew aggro.

At that point you click taunt and ended up at the top and your next action would rebuild your aggro over the supposed aggrowhores.

These days it is less important, I have taunt tied to my bash and renounce key and don't lose aggro except to raid burning wizards, but that is all relative to group gear, aggro mods, weapon ratio, rk II spells v rk II and the lack of SCS added this expansion.

either way taunt is just a key to press w/e it is minimal in overall aggro generation b/c of the fail rate vs con of the mob.
  10. Insaneo Journeyman

On mobs that are perma-rooted, and have NO KNOCKBACK or any other kind of spell that will move the tank away from the mob then by all means, mages, necros, BL's have your pets taunt on. Reminder: DO NOT under any circumstance have your pet on the mob before the tank has it in posistion... this is very bad....

I love being able to ride a pets taunt up the aggro... I can basicly have aggro lock by just pressing taunt...

On fights with knockback, or we have to move the mob.. for GAWD's take turn off taunt...
  11. Fllint Elder

Basically the only use I have for taunt as a warrior in raids (assuming ageless and area taunt aren't both down) is to set myself as 2nd on the mobs aggro list so when the 1st tank dies I am the next person to get aggro. When I want to be 2nd on aggro I wait until the 1st tanks aggro pet poofs then i will turn attack off and spam taunt for like 40 seconds or however crazy amount of time it takes to get one to actually land. I then let the 1st tank get aggro back, and wait until the 1st tank gets a decent aggro lead again before i turn attack back on.

I am actually scared that when Elidroth ends up putting in his idea for the improved taunt for a warrior, it will actually destroy that one use for it. From what i gathered from the AA chat it sounded like he was going to add some kind of aggro proc when you got a successful taunt to land (which of course on a red con mob is a crazy small % anyways).

Basically the only thing that will achieve for me is to get me killed when i try to sneak in as 2nd on the aggro list. Instead of only being 1 aggro ahead of the person who I want to get aggro back from me anyways, I will end up being like 10k aggro (or whatever amount of aggro the taunt proc is) over him which will cause me to take at least 1 if not more rounds of attack before the other tank is able to get aggro back from me.

Unless there is something else to his taunt idea, truthfully, I would rather not have it in my humble opinion.
    Anystasia likes this.
  12. Braveheart Augur

This is bad practice. Hitting taunt does not put you 2nd on aggro but puts you first. You would steal aggro from the tank. All the healers would put you on heals, thereby causing heals to fail on the main tank. If you want to build aggro, do these: Roar, blast of anger (max melee: this too can be enough to put you over the MT), can also help by using your challenge.

Aso for Area taunt and ageless: Use area taunt if MT dies and aggro goes to someone other than you. Use ageless when YOU are tanking to secure your lead in aggro.
  13. Gladare Augur

Taunting with attack off will put him at the top of the hate list for a millisecond. Then he can resume attacking to maintain his position on the hate list and use hate discs as necessary. I'm in the MT group regularly and our tanks do it all the time with great results. I see one of them jump to 98% hate without taking any damage or only taking one round. If the MT does die, the ST will be the first to have aggro instead of 2 dps dying before a warrior can use a no-fail taunt.

Just for clarification in case anyone does remember that I'm a ranger, I play a cleric on raids when we need it. If any clerics, druids, shamans are looking for a raiding family guild that finished the expansion first on their server (The Rathe) check out http://forum.thesilentminority.net/viewtopic.php?t=58 . Read the links in the second post as well.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

Taunting to catch up to the tank in front of you is perfectly fine if people are aware what is going on. In some cases (CC raid tentacle form) it's just about the only way to catch up. And mashing roar, BoA, ect won't put you anywhere near a warrior who has laid down our front loaded aggro tools. At the same time you impede their aggro gain by overwriting the aggro over time components of some of their abilities with your own.

And you actually blow ageless as an aggro over time ability instead of saving it for when it's needed?
  15. Fllint Elder

Yeah you obviously didn't read my post. If you are taunting with attack off you will lose aggro instantly as soon as the 1st tank makes his next swing. Most of the time you won't even take a single round of attacks b/c it will be between swings of the mob.

This is not something that I do on every mob, but it is a tool that I do use in certain situations when called for. My whole point was that Elidroth's aggro attached to a taunt success idea will make this tactic too dangerous to use b/c instead of being 1 aggro ahead of MT for a millisecond, you will likely take a few rounds before they are able to get aggro back.
  16. Makavien Augur

This is terrible because a ton of fights have spells not hitting us based on who is at the top of the hatelist us being in range of the npc doesn't matter . Only that we are on top of the hatelist or the first couple near the top of the hatelist . There are spells intended on a lot of events not to hit us because we have no real spell mitigation . So this is how they code things to adjust for that.
  17. Makavien Augur

Yeah taunting off the mt is an excellent strat and you can even go as far as doing a reverse aoe taunt order on npcs like tunat/king tormax (for a newer npc) or any npc that doesn't need dpsed after the mt has used his pet and big hate abiltiies. It's the same kinda out of the box thinking used to set multiple rampage tanks in an order on any npc that has single target rampage.
  18. Kamea Augur

I vaguely remember a dev stating within the past year/year and a half that they can't increase the success rate of taunt due to arcane coding.

If Elidroth wants to tweak taunt and can't just fix the success rate, I would prefer him to decrease the reuse time rather than add a hate component to it.
    Fllint likes this.
  19. Fllint Elder

Yup me too, I would much rather just have more ranks of a reduction of the reuse timer of taunt. Elidroth's proposal will do Way more harm than good by ruining one of the few uses tanks have for the taunt ability.

If for some crazy reason we want a real aggro proc while we are taunting then we can just use Barbed Tongue (even though I think this ability is pretty terrible in the first place, spamming taunt while you have aggro makes no sense).

A better option would be to just improve Barbed Tongue by giving it its own timer (seperate from Mighty strike), decreasing its reuse timer by a Lot so we can actually choose when we want an aggro proccing taunt, and giving us more ranks of hastened taunt AAs. This would basically function the same as what he was proposing without the negative side effects of ruining one of the only uses we currently have for taunt.
  20. Insaneo Journeyman

I do stay at the top of the hate list by riding taunt. They may be on there for a total of 3-8 seconds the entire fight? It's all situational. I do admit I have only been playing for 5 months and my information comes from my expierence in game, what I am told by people I trust for information, what I see officialy posted on the forums, and reading my gp logs.

If this is completely screwing some fights up and I am completely unaware of it thank you for correcting me. I am going to look into this further.

If this is accurate I completely agree. I use taunt for the same reason. I also throw it in with a gp or something similar if I need to pull aggro back in a group situation. I do spam if if barbed tounges is rolling, though.