Take our money!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brazy, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Brazy Augur

Account to account transfers would be making you SOOO much money, especially on Oakwynd. Really wish you guys would bring this back and take all this money from us.
  2. Gnomie Denser than most

It's been requested for years now. I think the issue isn't that they don't want to do it, but that the person who knew how to do it has left, and nobody left knows how to do it.
  3. Brazy Augur

This can't be true. How sad if it is though, lol. So much easy money for what I feel like should be a little copy pasta. I'd pay $50 easy for a transfer. Come one Darkpaw! Get this money.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You really think that if they wanted to do it someone else couldn't have studied the code and learned the process by now and even automated it?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. Gnomie Denser than most

I agree, but not if they don't deem the value of the effort worth the cost and time. I was just repeating what has been stated by DPG multiple times on the matter.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The only thing I ever saw was on an interview from Loving Robot with Chen in 2020 and she stated they would not bring it back. In fact she did not even look like she knew what an account transfer was.

However there has been much speculation by players that it was removed because:

A. EQ officially ended Windows XP support in 2017. Although it had actually started a few years earlier it did not affect the patcher until they took it totally off without much notice.

Around that time the account to account transfers stopped working and they had to be done manually. The requests for them were delayed further and further until finally no more transfers were done after August 2017.

So was the transfer process wrapped up in coding from Windows xp? Others have laughed at this one.

B. The person who did it left the company

C. Around the same time as Windows XP could no longer be used they switched to flat character storage or something like that.

It would be nice but no amount of money will convince them.

But I have never seen any "official" reasons given by DBG.

The truth is out there.

But we don't care. We just want them back

Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As I understand it they never had a script for the A2A transfers, they were done manually & this was before the database structure of characters was changed so even the old way of doing it would not be as easy to do as it used to be.

I don't think its that big a deal, my ex wife used to have a level 65 character on my account & I deleted it & Recreated it on an old account I had which was just as old anyway using a Heroic (her character was 65 so she got a free 20 level boost out of me) I then went & farmed all of the "trinkets" her character had & that took me around a month of casual goofing around to get done.

Now I could see why a level 120 character someone's friend/wife/child had might be a bigger deal to do that with but it's really not that hard to do if they have your help.

The main reason I recall many people used to cite for why they wanted to do it in the past was related to Veteran AA but everybody gets those now.
    Brontus likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you have a level 120 character it means it was created/leveled up well past the time that they stopped doing these types of transfers. With how long ago they started people shouldn't be creating situations that get them in the situation to need one.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Valid point
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's not true. People just won't stop repeating that stupid conspiracy theory.
  11. TLP Addict Augur

X for doubt.

I think they just don't want to do it because it would facilitate more RMT, even though we already have a bunch of that going on.
  12. Febb Augur

I am a programmer and I can tell you just because some person left the company doesn't mean that another programmer doesn't know how to read their code and bring it up to date if it needs updated. No language is so complicated that some other programmer can't figure it out. Like Beimeith said, it's a conspiracy theory that's been circulated around since they stopped doing it. People don't understand programming so they automatically assume the person who built the account to account transfer system must be this super human that only wrote code in a language that somehow no one knows. More than likely they were just handling flat files before the db conversion back then and there is nothing complicated about that, it's just a delimited text file that contains all the data.

Updating columns in a flat file like that is a huge waste of a time and I'm sure that had alot to do with why they stopped doing it. I'm really surprised they didn't convert to a database earlier, it's not complicated to insert the data of a delimited file into a sql table. You just have to make sure the data types are correct and more importantly the data lengths of each column are big enough to hold the data. What's to stop them from offering account to account transfers now that everything is in databases where you can just write a stored procedure that you just plug in the parameters for the 2 accounts and let the script run? It probably boils down to they don't want to deal with the headache of trying to verify accounts.
  13. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Until DPG tells us why they disabled account to account transfer years ago, we have no idea, sadly
  14. Brazy Augur

Got $50 on an account 2 account transfer. WTB
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Question:

Answer:
    Barton likes this.
  16. toxicsmell Journeyman

also in favor of bringing this back. grinding out an extra 1000 hours sounds like a chore ...
  17. Brazy Augur

Okay, got $60 on an account to account transfer! Make it happen get this money.
  18. Barton The Mischievous

Lol they don't care.
    The CS headaches are not worth it.
  19. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Speculation. Until DPG says why, really.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It still should be clear that it isn't because no one knows how and no one is able to figure it out.