Take a break from Lockjaw drama - tell me why I should play this class !

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lejaun, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Lejaun Augur

I've made a few characters, and a couple of them are 50 and well-geared. None of those are well-suited for soloing. With all of the upheaval on the server lately, my smaller rotation guild is not going to be able to compete with the Faceless, MM, etc. for raids other than freebie ones. Whatever, not really bothering me anymore.

I'm trying to think of what I'd like to play as a solo character who groups as well. Something pretty self-sufficient that can handle a lot of the content by himself if needed. I'm looking past classic, though. Classic-Kunark-Velious I want to be able to say /LFG and find a group or go solo if I can't find one. Something I can go to most soloable named spawns to farm if I get bored. The idea is to have a non-guild character to just relax and do my own thing sometimes.

My thoughts have been narrowed to a few classes in current order of preferance, but of course I'm open to ideas.

Shaman. I played one to the mid-20's. It was fun, but at the time there seemed to be so many that I stopped playing it.
    Pros: Group friendly, dots/heals/slow, pet
    Cons: Solo power seems weaker/slower than others

Wizard. I have a mid-level one. Fun to nuke away, but very fragile.
    Pros: Nukes, seldom going to get KS'd, port to where I want to go quickly
    Cons: Glass cannon that dies easily. Doesn't seem dungeon solo friendly. Gets in serious trouble if there are resists, and solo ability severely limited by mana.

Necromancer: Good in groups, but few people think that they are.
    Pros: Super DoTs,pet, and feign
    Cons: Seems like it would be harder to get groups with one

Enchanter. Everyone wants a chanter.
    Pros: Probably easiest to get a group, self clarity, can charm great pets in classic at least like at hill giants
    Cons: Real pet doesn't take orders, lower DPS, not really a role I'd want to play in groups.

So what have you? What should I play and why?
  2. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I'd probably do a Necro out of that list honestly. Ton of utility available.
    Alphont likes this.
  3. rekais910 Augur

Let's face it. Feign death is everyone's best friend, but especially someone who is soloing.
  4. Orienn TreeHugger

This is true while right now in this era they may not seem "the best" choice, but further on they keep getting better, they're pets are OP, can FD/Lifetap. They're a fun class I've played a few before never on TLP but all the necro's I know have NP soloing if they can't get a group. You can pretty much rule Lguk for xp or money.
  5. Porygon Augur

Necros are by far the most entertaining solo class. You have tons of options when it comes to "how to kill".

Plus they can effectively solo in nearly every expansion in the game.

I would probably play a necro on the no box server.
  6. taliefer Augur

necro was the first class that came to mind as i was reading the post, before i got to the list of classes. they can solo pretty much anywhere via a variety of methods

shamans are godly in kunark tho. chanters can do some crazy stuff, but has a higher learning curve.
  7. Lejaun Augur

Lots of necromancer love ! Thanks for the input. Makes for a nice break from the he said / she said threads.

Any differing opinions to consider?
  8. Tris Augur

Enchanters are the bomb, when you first get the hang of charming, nothing can beat you. and you can beat everything.
    Elthe likes this.
  9. -wycca Augur

Wizards are a raid class, they're not so hot in groups. They are so limited by mana regen that their sustained group dps (aka only group contribution) is probably the lowest out there.

Unless you just really like wizards, I'd recommend another class if you're heavily group focused.
    Ducreux likes this.
  10. Orienn TreeHugger

I have a shaman I box as well, to be honest they're pretty fun too. With the pet nerf, shaman pet's didn't get effected by this. They're pets are pretty decent believe it or not, great in groups. I can see where the solo time would be slow, but it can be done. I went troll with Inny as a diety for the snare clicky, while I don't use it as much since I 2box alot, when I am by myself I have a snare of some kind. And potions, only shamans can make them, granted some of the must have one's are expensive. Can always sell pots to make money though. That's another thought.
  11. Merau Journeyman

Necro. The pet nerf wasn't even that bad for us. You're still wanted for high DPS in groups/raids and can solo anything you want. They get even more ridiculous as expantions come out and are never in a bad spot. I have a feeling that the no box server is gonna have way too many. Basically the mages of pre nerf TLP servers.
  12. Porygon Augur

As a necro you can solo glowing runes in oow. I mean it's like 6 years seat... But still!
  13. Semah Augur

I love having good necros in my group. Lots of utility, lots of DPS. And that's as a shadowknight, so in spite of some overlap.

If enchanters aren't a role you want to play, I'd say avoid the class---but their DPS is great if they are charming! And later on, real pets will take orders via AA. Trouble is you don't often get a chance to just DPS as a chanter, unless you group is so overwhelming that you don't need CC (or you have two chanters).

Shamans are interesting. Their buffs are incredibly valuable, but I don't see many around. I'm not sure why that is; maybe clerics and enchanters are just sexier choices in this era for people who prefer support?
  14. Adonhiram Augur

Hey, I liked the title of your thread :)

I have been a mage forever, since I started EQ, and my class is good at soloing, but I must admit nothing beats the necro for the ultimate solo experience, especially indoors (dungeons) with FD as pulling toon and out of the jail card.

However, if you can single pull -which is of course less likely indoors-, the mage is an excellent soloer, as you don't have to pet tank systematically ; if the mob is too hard, or too resistant to spells, you still have the option of chainpetting (you don't cast anything on the mob to minimize your aggro and chain pets, killing the pet which is near to death a fraction before your pet summoning spell goes off).
  15. Tyraxor Augur

+1
    A well played Chanter kills very fast with charm.
    It's just only for those who like the feeling of being on their toes, watching for charm breaks.
    Necro etc. for those who like safe battles instead.
    If you play as duo with a snarer, it's safe thou.

In PoP you can have pets in high level zones that chain kill everything in sight for example, no other class can do that.
  16. Makelite Augur

This is how I feel also, I love duoing chanter and druid with chanter being my absolute FAV but so many people play them and you just don't need that many in a raid.

For grouping and soloing, chanter is fun but kinda meh raiding until much later expansions.
  17. Lejaun Augur

Awesome comments. Thanks for all the help !
  18. Porygon Augur

Tell us you're conclusion!
  19. Kolani Augur

Do you have a ranger leveled up? I'd get one at least up to level and in semi current gear for the release of Planes of Power, when you will be a GOD.
  20. Bewts Augur

You're doing it wrong as a chanter if you're exclusively mezzing. Charm that add, turn it into DPS.