Sword and Board...

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Everstorm, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Dre. Altoholic

If one wanted to Dual Wield and tank they chose the Warrior class. If one wanted to tank with 1H and shields they chose Knights.

This is obvious to all but one of us.
    EightBitTony likes this.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

You are at a loss.

If players insist DW and 2H should produce the best outcome in the DPSing with another person tanking role then they must concede S&B should produce the best survivability, aggro, DPS, and utility outcome when tanking. One can't have enough survivability, best aggro, best DPS, and best utility and have players DWing 90% of the time co-opting S&B's role.

Why not get great DPS with S&B when content is trivial? The Romans did.

If one wanted to DW or use a 2Hander 24/7 the archetype to choose was melee DPS.

With Warrior Only shields dropping before Kunark was released and Warriors receiving shield AC not subject to the softcap and Shield Block it was pretty obvious that shields being impratcial for Warriors was a early design error and that S&B is for tanking/DW and 2H is for DPS.

I'm kinda shocked any Tank would have to be told that.

If you aren't tanking with a shield you aren't tanking enough mobs - Shiftee, a Paladin (one of three classes in the Tank Archetype)

or you aren't tanking a hard enough mob. - BA, a tank.
  3. sojero One hit wonder

2h for knights are only when in DPS mode, IF you are tanking with one, you are doing it on trivial or non current targets. SK's do it while visage and epic and Pallies when they can stun lock a mob and mainly only RAID geared. Other than that PLEASE stop putting out false information, it does not confuse the DEV team they know this, it only confuses new and/or ignorant players
  4. Makavien Augur

You know as well as the rest of us here that shields did not get used very often until GoD and the very end of Pop because we didn't have shield block.(we only get it from our aa) Actually I am even wrong it was omens of war .. lvl 67 Omens of War 01.0%

And don't freak out mr sk everyone knows how it works and you even use it when swarming and during those periods get faster exp then any other class behind a mage. I have even seen people forget they had their 2 hander out and raid tank as a knight so yeah.
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

Pick one:
    * Higher DPS and lower mitigation.
    or
    * Lower DPS and higher mitigation.

DW or 2H
    DPS increased at the cost of migation.
    (eg. Hitting harder but your defense is lowered as a tradeoff)

1H + Shield
    Mitigation increased at the cost of DPS.
    (eg. Lessening the impact of blows but your DPS is lowered as a tradeoff)

This makes perfect sense to me because it's logical.

If you're fighting a mob with a 2Her and realize its attacks are a little too much you would switch to your sword & board for the express purpose of reducing your damage intake. In doing so your DPS is decreased because of this defensive stance.
    Inversely, if you're fighting a mob and it really doesn't pose a threat you would switch to 2H or DW to up your DPS. Your mitigation is less now but you're not in much danger so it's moot.
    Explicit, Blink and sojero like this.
  6. Makavien Augur

Also the only time another tank is tanking is about a 10% thing in eq so why make any weapon set up usable 10% of the time instead of 33.3333% of the time ?
  7. sojero One hit wonder

I guess my group is the 10%, I play SK and my wife plays a Paladin. So we switch up tanking when one gets tired of it. I also often group with other tanks, I would see this as more of a 30ish % of the time, but mileage will very depending on guild/server.
  8. Makavien Augur

I am personally picking one the gap right now is just to large on both dps and survivability when switching to either of the other set ups. I am sure my 75% parry with dw is set too high but they will tune the ability to how they see fit so why not aim high ?
  9. sojero One hit wonder

the reason not to aim high is it easier to bring something up from low than to take away after the fact, look at NTTB :), You will always get a better reception by saying we can bring in the new ability at 5% and work it up 1% at a time to meet the needs than the other way around.
  10. Makavien Augur

Not from what I have seen in beta over the last several years they start high and lower things 2 - 3 times or more (nttb) and unholy/holy discipline just recently.
  11. Battleaxe Augur

Pick one

DW and 2H are for DPS
    S&B is for tanking
    Bow or thrown stone is for ranged DPS

A proper Tanking setup includes survivability AND aggro AND class appropriate DPS and utility should your tanking class come with some

(it was pointed out in the Make shields more practical for Warriors thread that DPS is a bigger piece of total class power for Warriors than knights. Set all of our DPS to zero and knights still have all that sweet sweet utility. Apparently SOE understands the point although SK's are waaay OP).

A proper DPS setup includes some instant self rescue that might last as long as 30 seconds AND severely reduced aggro - aggro is not your friend when you are DPSing, DPS weapon/s, and utility if your class has any.

This being the case, shield AC should probably be raised about 20%, EoA should appear only on shields, Warrior Only 1Handers should come with a pure aggro proc, the best DPS weapons should come with a damage proc and be next to useless when trying to aggro, etc.

And S&B DPS when not tanking should be reduced.

While one ought not be forbidden for using the wrong tools for the job using the right one's should be strongly encouraged and they are not.

Glad to help you out.
  12. Daegun Augur

Oh really?

I tank with a 2hander easily with my knight in group gear - without visage epic or mortal coil. Easily.

I can just as easily tank 2hand/dw with my group geared warrior, I just do less dps when not using a shield so what's the point.
  13. sojero One hit wonder

Then you are not doing challenging enough content or maximizing your group.
  14. Daegun Augur

Oh really? Considering I've maxed out group content (all of it) on 2 tanks? Would you recommend I pull 6 mobs at a time instead of the current 3-4 so I my group can see 0.45279% more overall efficiency?

I use a 2hander a good portion of the time on my sk because almost all content is trivial in a good group. Most of it doesn't even require a healer (even without shield).