SWARMING IN HOT ZONES

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Naugrin, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naugrin Augur

Seriously just stop. Get an instance so you don't make the zone unplayable for others. There were 3 people goin in valley last night on the rathe. They were asked multiple times to go elsewhere.

Most of us are adults. Act like it and be considerate of other players. We are all in this together.
  2. GaryDgeorge New Member

ah swarming the new thing to complain about since hsing is being down graded how fun yet this was being done prier too guess people just have to find something to whine about.

also valley is hudge just go to another camp or why don't you get an instance oh that right then no added xp bonus but I guess that's why they are there too isn't it.
    person I always pref instances anyway as I don't have to deal with the whiners possible trains and even name spawns that would take me time to kill but to each there own they have as much right to be there as you unless there causing a major ZONE like maybe pulling EVERY single mob in the zone and killing them selves all at once as valley is soo hudge that would be next to impossible and no matter who you are that kind of a massive train would most certaintly lead to death.

I capitalized those words cause people might say they are causing a zone disruption but there not there in a spot pulling x amount to be zone disruptive, at least what my take of it, would have to involve something much larger.
  3. Mykaylla Augur

I think the OP is probably talking more about the zone lag that results from massive pulls.

It doesn't matter if someone is on the far side from you or not, lag is lag. In all honesty, I'd be really iffy about swarming in Arelis, Valley of Lunanyn anyway if anyone was around, just because that particular zone is pushing the limit on size and objects- there's a reason that a lot of people crashed going into it, or zoning into the raid, et cetera. Pillars had the same problem. Sepulcher was split up into separate zones specifically to AVOID that problem.

Mind you, if someone's doing their thing in a zone, I'm more likely to just pass on by to the next zone... unless there's a specific reason I am there (like a quest or a progression task), at which point I send them a tell, ask what they're up to, how long they want to be there, if they have stuff rotting I need for a quest, et cetera. I tend to operate on the first come, first served basis- just like if you have a fast-killing group able to hold down six PHes, and a slower group holding down one, I'm not going to ask the former group to change their playstyle just because not everyone in the zone can do it, nor berate the latter group for "not keeping up"- maybe that's all they want, and they just want to relax between spawns otherwise.

If a lot of people are using a zone already when I get there? No, I wouldn't swarm it. It's rude. And it makes trouble for the rest of the zone, even if you're not pulling the mobs they want elsewhere. Come on, we all know this.
    Caudyr, Elricvonclief and Tarrin like this.
  4. Edrick Augur

Evantil is practically unplayable right now on Xegony, and has been for the past few days. When I play, at least. There is an individual there pulling the entire ground floor at night, making fighting inside the tree or on top of it frustrating. Pulling a mob across one of the branches on top, that would normally take five seconds less, can take over thirty seconds for the mob to reach you. When the mob catches up to you, its lagging so bad that it will appear behind you sometimes. Not to mention mercs are affected by it too, so their heals are much less reliable.

I've been trying to camp a named there the past few evenings to finish up hunter but I've given up, because my play time is generally when this person is swarming. Anything that is an NPC is lagging, rubberbanding, and taking way too long to respond.

If other people are in a zone, don't swarm to the point where it disrupts it. That should be a rule, engraved in stone.
    Tarvas and Tarrin like this.
  5. pk76 Augur

also in rathe -->. the ground zone ,, there are several who don't care to pull the area we already killing to bring as much mobs form their swarming.........
  6. Axxius Augur

Zone disruption petitions don't work anymore? Then AE blur will. Got enchanter? ;)
  7. darkenkal Journeyman

There is nothing you can do. They will not nerf the mages or SKs that are causing all the trouble. Though they did nerf other classes for doing this, they basically said they won't nerf theses 2 classes.
  8. Langya Augur

Oranges, all that swarming is amounts to an ability that by itself is harmless. Just like a gun is a piece of metal, polymer, and chemicals that doesn't have a care. Still, people blame guns when some A-hole uses it to commit a crime even though crime can be perpetrated with many other instruments besides a gun. People can't find the resolve to stand up against crime or the social ills that cause it, so they blame the inanimate object. This thread is about players being S-heads etc and being rude as well as inconsiderate that people don't want to confront. You take away swarming and these same rude/inconsiderate players may very well remain both rude and considerate. Good chance they will just find some other way to ply their trade. Meanwhile those who respected other players and use their skills responsibly get nerfed......
  9. Edrick Augur

I'm not asking to change the abilities of a class. I'm asking to have a rule enforced that prohibits zone disruptions.

Or better yet, update the code so that activating dozens of NPCs at once doesn't lag the zone. That would be fine too.
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

Somewhat relatively recently a dev explained the actual technical reasons behind the lag in cases like these; I think it may have been in one of the beam(?) threads. Though I don't remember if they said it would be addressed or looked into, or what.
  11. Brogett Augur

Every 10 seconds would be 180AA in a lesson burn. Is that *really* true? It's broken if so. In practice I imagine they run out of mobs too fast to make that possible.

IMO though there is one obvious reason why swarming in hotzones needs fixing. It's antisocial and it leaves few mobs left alive for those that are of the appropriate level for the zone (and those that REALLY need the XP).

Ocassionally as a rogue I'll find people in the zone I want to assassinate in and I leave well alone. That goes doubly so if they're a low level group hoping to XP. (It's not even the same ballpark of power, but has the ability to keep some old zones locked down of mobs.)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  12. Moklianne Augur

The difference is that SOE is a business and its within their best interests to combat the people and mechanics that break their play nice policy. If these people move on from beaming, swarming, assassinate, HS, etc to other forms of zone disruption then its the duty of SOE to address that as well. I'd like to see mechanics introduced that when a zone becomes unstable from swarming, etc, they just LD the character causing it. After a few deaths, they'll get the picture. Naturally, this would only be implemented in static zones.

Aside from that, you are much more likely to survive a knife wound than a gunshot wound and its difficult to cause major casualties in a public setting with a knife, so that analogy really doesn't work.
  13. Camou the Persistent Augur

Well swarming issues came up recently with Mages again.

In fact, some still are convinced they make a lot of exp with swarming, are causing the lag by agroing so many creatures, that the zone server has problems to pass all required information to all players in the zone. Most of those just come in zone with several toons, since under 5 in zone the lag wont cause the desired effect: mobs nearly dont move anymore and start warping.

Then they burn with mickey mouse AOE effects the mobs down, which not only takes an insane amount of time - but the more mobs are stuck the technique somewhen around 50+ agroed mobs (which cant move and stand in front of you) turns and you get out out a moderate amount of exp by blasting down all mobs with the infamous beam spells of the mages (low DPS line of sight area spell without number of target limitations).

With less creatures and players (no lag then) the technique is not really of use, because it takes lo0ng, brings few and every average group of 4+2 mercs is in regards of exp much faster than any beam kiter. But it can be sold for powerlevel. Those offer their services and bring any toon within a few hours to max level, within 4 days to max AA and they make a lot of platinum with that. But only at the costs of those that cant use the zone anymore because of the lag caused by those beam kiters.

CS cant do anything.
    DEVS know but ignore.
    SOE only wants money and that is paid by beam kiters, so no reason to complain.
  14. Langya Augur

My analogy might not be that great but the point I have is I am very much tired of across the board group punishment for the actions of a few people and having an entertainment for adults being policed in the same manner as a kindergarten class room. Perhaps other players don't want a confrontation and would rather just defer whatever they could very well handle themselves to some over worked and underpaid staffer. I get that. The thing is, we can do better, as players, in handling situations between ourselves without having whole archetypes of skills for multiple classes altered or removed.
    Moklianne likes this.
  15. Mykaylla Augur

Though that can be fun in and of itself-
    /t RandomPerson Hi there, are you XPing in here?
    RandomPerson tells you, 'Yeah, I just came back to game'
    You told RandomPerson, 'Want to see something crazy?"
    RandomPerson tells you, 'Okay sure lol'

Proceed to blow their minds on how fast you kill so many with them in group!
    Brogett, Elricvonclief and Caudyr like this.
  16. Caudyr Augur

I remember that...didn't it have something to do with each and every mob checking pathing (code) on how to get to that specific person every second, which was causing lag across the zone from too many mobs checking to get to one location, or something?

I also forget the exact details, but I could've sworn it was something like that.
  17. Khat_Nip Meow

Yeah, that was the one. I just don't remember where I saw it.
  18. Naugrin Augur

The zone was lagging so badly thar mobs were rubberbanding. A toon that would normally take close to 100% damage during the lifespan of 1 mob was taking around 8% damage. When using the moving mountains aa, the mob shot up in the air 4 to 6 times b4 coming down to the monk and the took another 5 seconds to start being hittable.

This is the definition of zone disruption. Reply to the zone disruption petition was that they need to witness it.

I could care less about how people are mass killing this week. Don't do it in the hotzone everyone wants to do their daily mission in.

I started this thread in the hopes that the asshats responsible or someone close to them reads it.

Side note - one of them is the guy who spams gen chat with selling beam pulls......I want to sell him an instanced zone.
  19. Langya Augur

Heh. I think I know who this person is on the Rathe. If so, they have gotten feedback from other players in /ooc about it. Its not like they can claim ignorance.
  20. Denial_Sinfae Augur

http://www.youtube.com/user/Helzdog/videos

I can't post the video's here because they disappear very soon after, or I get my post deleted and a nice message, or my post is deleted and no message. It just disappears.

If anyone thinks that mages beaming is mickey mouse or slow... you're wrong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.