[Suggestion] Move Vaniki illusion unlock to level 40/50.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Benito, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I would like to see the Vaniki illusion reward unlocked at level 40 or level 50 instead of 60. The primitive weapon ornaments are a big enough carrot for level 60. It would make the Vaniki illusion equivalent to a redeem a Krono promo.

I also think it would be a great way to get players started and hooked on Vaniki. It could also introduce more Live players to TLP. I've noticed a decline in population in off-peak hours and an earlier Vaniki illusion grant could inject renewed interest and fresh population.
  2. BearBuddy New Member

Why do you care? It's a one-time account wide claim that will most likely be expansion locked on TLPs. It's not really a reward my friend.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I want to avoid a facet of the Vaniki vs. Yelinak/other TLP debate. I also expect criticism from people banking on selling PL services to level 60.

This point is mostly directed at recruiting Live players. There are probably hundreds of Live players on Vaniki (active and inactive). I suspect the Vaniki illusion is one of their main goals. By unlocking the illusion earlier, DBG can draw in more players from Live while the level ranges are narrower (to group and gear). People who are unaware of the illusion on Live will see it and ask other players about obtaining it. If there is renewed interest too late into the server life (60+ range), the lower levels of the game will "feel dead." It's better to get their feet wet earlier on. Let players form early bonds and progress as a server community.

There are more than enough rewards appointed later for the server. It is best to frontload the server with at least 1 major goodie (like the 'redeem a Krono promo').
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Getting live players in earlier just leads to them departing earlier if all they wanted was the Vaniki Illusion.

I have a counter-proposal - delay the Vaniki illusion reward to level 100, to encourage all Vaniki players to join for a longer time & not just a blink of the eye.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This would be true if there wasn't 2 more illusions planned and more (including unique teleports).

Illusion: Gigyn at Level 80*

Illusion: Gnomework (Leadbetter) at level 100*

I expect both illusions will be equally unique (gnomework probably based on old Akanon clockworks).

Vaniki rewards are listed here: https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-vaniki-server-faq

*The rewards list was just changed in the last 15 minutes.

It is better to get people in early while things feel busy than "Oh, server is dead (level 1-50 range) and it may be hard to catch up, I quit or let me PL to 60 and go back to Live or another TLP." By having people create and play characters early on, you not only force them to get membership but get their foot in the door (make friends, join groups and guilds).

I get you may be concerned that Vaniki server would poach from Live or other TLPs but some players are already complaining about having nothing to do on Live (or falling away on TLPs). It is better to have them stick with EQ than go off to a competitor. Plus, the level locks are not quickly paced so as to allow players to continue to play on their main servers for the most part.