Suggestion for an improved NPC naming policy

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dday99, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Dday99 Journeyman

One minor thing that has often bothered me in EQ is their naming policy. When I roam around the countryside looking for creatures to slaughter I don't like seeing names popping up saying "a highland snake" or "an angry orc". I'd prefer they skip "naming" the creature and instead just describe it in a description window if you're interested in finding out more information.

So rather than having a silly name above its head, just show an aggression bar (indicating whether it's aggressive or not). I realize they need something to discern between two different units using the same model, but I wonder if it's not possible to just make the model slightly bigger or a slightly different color instead?

I can accept seeing names like "Roger Laeron" over human or humanoid heads. Obviously that NPC has a name, and therefore it's fine to see that hovering above its head. But seeing "a highland snake" hovering above its head just looks a bit crappy. That's my opinion anyway.
  2. Mykaylla Augur

You can choose not to see NPC names, in your options, and bind /con to something for convenience so you can find out if things are aggressive faster, if you would prefer.

Alt + O, Display tab, second check-box.
  3. Gragas Augur

Without names above their heads, it would be rather hard to kill pher's for "named" mobs. It also would not be EQ that has been around since 1999?
  4. Falos Augur

I wish real life copied eq's naming policy personally.

Oh look it's a curious spider I have nothing to worry about!

Oh look it's a Furious Hornet, I better avoid it!
    Kyreth, Elricvonclief, Sita and 7 others like this.
  5. Gragas Augur

Plus it would make it harder for stuff to sneak up on you!
  6. artofnoise Augur

Unfortunately, EQ is not consistent with using Capital Names for all tough/challenging mobs (ie. named).
  7. Mandelbrot Lorekeeper

And sometimes, downright cruel about it. Love the 'named' mobs in the animal area of Blackfeather Roost. 'a mountain snake' = easy trash fodder mob. 'an injured mountain snake' = death without legs. And, normal snakes are not social, but the injured one will assist all other snakes and all other snakes will assist it. Surprise!
  8. artofnoise Augur

they must have restored that injured snakes' ability to KICK
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I thought /con was bound to the "c" key by default...
  10. Gladare Augur

And right clicking an npc.
  11. Mykaylla Augur

Heh, some people remap though, so whatever would be fastest for the OP!