Suggestion: Armor Rack to display old Armor

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vizier, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Vizier Augur

A placeable NPC for guilds and homes, similar to the combat dummies. This NPC will accept armor and display it. The type of NPC model you can get creative with, all player NPC models would be easy to implement, but something cool like a wooden cross post that the armor shows up on would be sweet.

When you want your items back you can kill it and loot it. Then you'll have to buy another obviously. Feel free to sell these NPCs at the marketplace to make your money.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

This has been asked for a number of times. And while it would be very welcome, don't hold your breath.

There are a number of issues with displaying armor on a stand.

Armor pieces are not models on their own. They are part of character models. They aren't going to create new individual models for every item in the game.

Also there is a limit to number of items displayed. A rack with 4 pieces on it, counts as 5 items towards the cap, but only occupies one 'slot'.

So the idea of armor pieces hanging on a rack is highly unlikely.

A character model (like the 'guards' or parcel merchant) that would equip armor, might be more possible.

If they could take the 'guard' items we can purchase in marketplace, and give them the ability to equip items you give them, that might be cool.
  3. Vizier Augur

I'm fine with using existing character models. Just sell NPCs from the market place of every race that we can dress up how ever we want and plop them in our homes. That said, I dont think it would be as difficult to implement a new armor rack model either if you simply BASE it off of one of the existing models like Human or something average sized. Just use the wireframe and make the model invisible. Pose the wire frame and turn off animations...done?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I started thinking the exact same thing right after I posted to you. Technically it would require doing something, however trivial, as opposed to using an already existing model. But yes, seems possible.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

My question would be how much DBG would need to charge for it for the work to be worthwhile? We are looking at the number of people who are into decorative housing and willing to pay whatever the marketplace cost would be. The smaller that number gets the more expensive it would end up being.
  6. Vizier Augur

Guilds can use them too not just individuals. Making Display rooms and halls with armor and weapon sets from each expac would be cool in my opinion.
    KarmaKitty and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. Bobokin Augur

Aren't many models in the game transparent like Enchanter pets and mobs that float?

It would be cool to have armor displays to be sure, but if it is worth the work involved, I don't know.

I'd like to be able to transmute the races and sexes of guards. All Barbies are boring.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  8. Greymantle Augur

Well there are the training dummy's used in Gh's. Modify them to accept and display armour given to them if possible. Getting it back may be an issue but that's what the coder's are for :)
    KarmaKitty and MasterMagnus like this.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My question is... why? Other than a very limited number of exceptions, all armor looks the exact same with different RGB values. Unless you mean Hero's Forge armor bits, of course.

I guess if you can inspect it and see the items or something.
    Jennre likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Making a hero's forge consolidator that is actually a displayable invisible NPC based on adventurer graphics could be awesome.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. Vizier Augur

This is what I was hoping for ultimately.
  12. Vizier Augur

Each expac has unique hero forge sets. Some of them are amazing, some are duds, but it would be really sweet to display the armor and weaps from each set together.
    MasterMagnus likes this.