Suggestion: Allow blocking of chat from other servers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mikana, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Mikana Augur

General chat keeps getting spammed with people from other servers selling PL services, guild recruitment, collection sets, etc.

Could use an option to block seeing any chat messages from other servers.
    Iuwene, Vumad, Nennius and 6 others like this.
  2. Windance Augur

While I like Mikana's suggestion ...

The spammers would just spin up a level 1 character and keep on spamming general.
  3. Bernel Augur

True, but they would have to spin up a level 1 on a server-by-server basis. With cross-server messages, they can sit on one server and spam all the others from a single client. But if they had to make a level 1 on a server to spam that server, they could only spam that one server from that client. If they wanted to spam multiple servers, they'd have to have a client for each one. Certainly that's doable for motivated spammers, but the extra effort would help decrease spam by making it more difficult.

One other change I'd like to see is to have a minimum level to be able to send cross server messages. Don't allow level 1's to send cross server messages. I'd put the limit at level 50, or even higher. As it is now, a spammer can create endless level 1's to get around /ignore lists. They can create a new one every day. But if they had to level them up to 50+, it would mean they couldn't make them one after the other to spam endlessly.
    Vumad, Mikana and Windance like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sounds nice but they could just pl the characters up to 50 (or whatever the required level is) and continue to spam. If they are offering pl services they have the tools to level up the characters that spam advertise it.
  5. Bernel Augur

That's certainly true. There's no way to completely eliminate spammers. PL spammers can easily get a character to whatever level they need. But that takes time and effort, which slows down their ability to create new spamming characters. In addition, not all spammers are PL spammers. Krono and collection set selling spammers might not be able to whip up level 50 characters one after the other.

Hopefully they'll come up with a way for users to just turn off all cross server chat. If that feature is ever available, I'll turn it on immediately and never worry about it again.
  6. newc322 Lorekeeper

What they should do is disable cross server universal chat. tells only. OR give us an option to disable it/turn it off so we do not see it. I have 20 toons on ignore from 1 collection seller. TWENTYT. that is absolutely absurd and something needs to happen.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  7. Knifen Augur

But dont mention their name or a name that rhymes with it, THAT they will immediately take care and remove your post.
  8. Mikana Augur

Could limit it by only allowing cross server tells on paid accounts that are over a couple of months old.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Ravanta Suffer Augur

It doesn't seem like a level based restriction or even an account age restriction would be a good catch-
    It is also worth mentioning a paid heroic upgrade is redeemed back to the person if they delete the toon and make a new one. Just another reason why a level based restriction has holes.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Click on name for the drop down menu currently in place, and add the Ignore function. Regardless of server, that person would be ignored. How about a global ignore list?
    Nennius likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And how about a public message announcing that you have been ignored.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Account based ignores would be amazing.
  13. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

People already usually say so before they ignore someone. But a public message, yeah that's a good idea too, maybe it would clue some people in that they are being a nuisance, and modify their behavior.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Oddly enough, I don't announce it. At least not usually.