Suggesting on how to handle transferring off of FV server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Venuhm, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because it shouldn't need to be spelled out in a statement saying that not everyone likes the ability to buy BIS from the bazzar in a free trade environment. And I know that those items don't actually get sold in the bazaar because of the plat cap but it is the general idea.
  2. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Epics were introduced in a patch just before Velious released, so while technically Kunark they were hardly within the Kunark expansion.

So 1 zone? But the Trakanon/Venril raids and every dragon, 100% tradable loot. VP was also added after Kunark release, so again something that wasn't scheduled with Kunark.
  3. Senvie Apprentice

If there were to be a way to transfer off of FV, I see no negative impact on economy and things of another server by it if it were things like, 30 day old character above level 20 like on live, as well as only with things that are no trade on both servers, AP, epics, revolvers, type 18/19 augs, raid achievement augs from tbl+ etc. I think letting a character keep these should be acceptable in the terms of the transfer and I'd love to see something like this.
  4. Goranothos Augur

When I transferred to FV years ago I knew it was a one way trip. No regrets. I wouldn't transfer off if it was free.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. JetZeppelin2h Augur

We are forgetting about the best method for transferring off FV. The best way to do it is delete the toon on FV and create a new toon with the same name on the server you want to move to. This is the fastest and easiest way to transfer off FV.
  6. kizant Augur

You can't trade the ores to make the TS gear or the gear itself. Trophies also can't be traded/sold and no, they aren't even very useful to begin with. Plus they require real-estate which just ruins your zone times. It's not complicated. I'm just pointing out that the bazaar could be utilized a lot more than it is on live servers and that many of the items sold aren't really that important.

Both TS and collections are also just mini games that many of us don't care for. I want to kill mobs for xp and gear, see a cool dungeon, do some cool quests, read an interesting story, have dozens of other people to play with, and that's about it. You know standard stuff you get from an RPG. I don't really want to run around clicking on shines, I don't want to farm content for hours that's far far too easy for me so that I can spend the afternoon standing in one spot clicking the combine button, I'd rather not decorate a house that makes the game perform worse, or hoard things I'll never need or equip fancy ornaments that will never be seen as I'm always in a superior skeleton illusion, etc. I didn't realize my perspective was so unique and anti-eq until this thread.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Not just 1 zone there are other No Trade items in Kunark as they are on TLPs. But, even if No Trade was originally only added starting in a patch right before Velious, that's still VERY early in the original development and was likely a response to observations made about everything being tradable so nothing was 'special' or rare. Tradable items ruins rarity and makes any item obtainable by just paying for it (and, yes, RMT was already starting to make its presence felt in Kunark). The original developers have been on record saying they were figuring out how to make such a massive multiplayer game while they were making it. Various features were altered by patch even in the first year of the game. It was not 'perfect' and set in amber from the first launch. No Trade being added in was one such change. In many panels for both EQ and EQ2 in various Fan Faires, other conventions, and developer roundtables, the development staff addressed the use of No Trade in the games as being part of the effort to shape the economy and provide rarity for items to allow them to make special items with higher stats and abilities.
  8. kizant Augur

Ninja looting of raid targets and all the dupe bugs were the main issues. Not making players feel special with rare items. They controlled that just fine with low drop rates or even stopping items from dropping entirely after they were seen to be too strong.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. The real Sandaormo Augur

Go to Hotel California, Stay in Hotel California. The Eagles warned you years ago.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Goranothos like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It isn't just the gear that is an advantage, they also have bonus exp on FV so chars created on there have had a clear advantage from the day they were created.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

FV isn't the only server that has had bonus XP over the years and in the long run I think that is a minor bonus. The bigger issue is all the gear that is tradeable that isn't on other servers.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Cadira Augur

Yeah I guess the XP argument is silly, rallos zek has same (?) XP bonus as fv and it's not only transferable off, but free to tranafer to.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Goranothos Augur

Relax, said the nightman, we are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. (Awesome guitar solos.)
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

The amount of things you could not trade was incredibly small through Classic, Kunark and even into CoV. It was mostly Class planar armor, quested planar items, and then some epic flagged items. It wasnt until VP and then ToV that most items in a zone were not tradable, even Sleepers had the major non-primal stuff flagged as tradable in the pre-wake form.

We had spreadsheets of who had BoC's, SoD's, Gnome masks, haste cloaks, AoW pants and the like (easy because we saw a whopping 2 BoC and 3 SoD, while everyones monk alts monk alt had pants) to move them around to other players once those players got upgrades.

The spirit of EQ died a long time ago. Its why tradeskills just make boxes now.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are talking about a very small portion of the game overall no trade has been a major part of most of the game.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. JetZeppelin2h Augur

No drop was pretty rare back in the day only rare spawn and raids gave you no drops and even then over 50% of those drops were droppable. I think the only really common no drop items in the early days were quest related. Think about it through velius alot of raid mobs still dropped droppable gear. In LS T1 is droppable but T2 and T3 are not. During velius and kunark T1, T2, and T3 were droppable gear for the most part (some no drops) and also some T1 (most T1 was droppable static dragon drops all droppable), T2, T3 raid gear was droppable.

TS gear used to be 100% droppable and wasn't no drop after the combine like today. They really should add droppable raid loot to every expansion that doesn't have any. Sure you could say chase loot is that new gear but chase loot is 1 expansion old, they need to add at least 1 rare drop that is droppable from every raid in LS (not attunable like chase loot but real droppable loot).
  17. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

The original game's intent was tradable gear until they realized they could monetize better by making everyone farm their own crap. And they couldn't control the RMT market over ebay until they got ebay to ban it, which spawned other marketplaces such as playerauctions, ect, and so on.

And who cares about RMT? That's really not everyone's jam. And is RMT directly hurting you so much? Who cares if your next applicant comes with some krono-purchased gear. Do they know how to play their class or not? With gear being so relatively easy to acquire nowadays, what's the real difference. There isn't an NPC vendor selling raid gear, it's mostly all being farmed from a raid chest.

If your only goal in EQ is to get better gear, then you're really missing the point of an MMORPG.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What does it matter what the "original" intent was back in 1999? What matters is how the game has developed since that time and the vast majority of it has included the concept of no trade gear.
    Nennius, Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you want raid gear you should either raid for it or move to a free trade server. The game hasn't had the idea of droppable raid loot in a long time. It isn't very helpful to point at how the game worked at the start to try and say that is how it should work now.
  20. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Yea I do think this has been a downfall for the game. I miss old school twinking when there was no required levels and you could use raid gear on low level tons. I really wish they would just remove required levels for raid gear so personas could use any raid gear even if you don't want it tradable. You can leave the levels on group drops.