suggested magic resistance for pulling

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by besbin, Mar 8, 2019.

1. besbin Journeyman

Hi all,
    I expect to be doing a lot of pulling on the new server and from memory the real problem that I ran into in classic was being rooted by caster mobs (sometimes from insane angles and through walls)!
    In order to counter this, what kind of number for magic resistance would be required to regularly be able to resist say hags in Unrest and ghoul wizards in Guk? I know a lot depends on the level difference but for arguments sake, say equal level between puller and mob.
    Look forward to receiving any advice. Thank you!
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

The short answer is.....

As much as humanly possible.

On my shaman I constantly keep resist magic on my puller, my brother who generally plays bard and or monk stacks magic resist pretty heavily, as long as he isnt gimping himself to hard in the hp department.

If you really want a number I would say in the department of 120-150 with resist magic... minimum. Cold is probably the next most important as higher level wizard mobs will cast that cold based nuke/root.
    Foaming and uk6999 like this.
  3. uk6999 Augur

What class are you playing? For any class try and not get hit by mobs that have melee abilities like ghoul root. Use spell/range items. This can be tough in tight spaces. Caster mobs are a pita because root is usually the first thing they cast and it is a short spell cast time. Bards can generally make it back to their group before caster root lands with selo's. Other classes like monk have drop agro although that can be a pain to FD with multiple casters landing on you. MR is top priority try to get as much as you can.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

MR is important, for sure, but the mob's level vs. your level is also a big factor. If you're pulling a lot of reds you're likely going to get rooted. Bards, have charm and mez up. ;)
  5. Weebles Augur

Yeah it’s somewhere in the 100-150 area to really start feeling good, but you really want as much as you can get.

As a puller on 2 previous TLP’s, MR was without question my highest priority stat. People will argue with me because thats what they do here, but the truth is if you get rooted by a caster mob before turning a corner and have multiple mobs, it is very easy to die, even with feign death, and no amount of hp or ac would have mattered. Don’t even get me started on mistmoore castle.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Don't forget the highly UBER /tar yourself, /disc throwstone macro.

Only newbs die on pulls!
  7. Machentoo Augur

They fixed that a patch or two ago.
  8. Punchu Augur

Yeah they fixed it so hard root-nuking is actually a viable strategy for the first time in EQ history.

RIP that walk to Xegony. No more breaking dat snare.
    Machentoo likes this.