Streaming?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tobran, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Tobran New Member

Hey all!

Quick introduction. My name is TobranEarnwood and I'm a well known streamer within the Landmark community. As of today I will be streaming EQ on my channel! (Huge thanks to Roshen with helping me out too!)

A bit different going from a building game to a well established MMO! As I was streaming I looked at who else was streaming EQ and no-one was there! I was the only one playing on twitch and that got me curious as to why. Thousands of people log onto EQ everyday yet but no-one seems to represent it in the streaming world. I was just curious as to why that is. And if you ever did watch an EQ stream what would you enjoy seeing? Leveling? Raids? PvP?

I would love to hear back from you all and thanks for reading! Until next time

-Tobran
  2. Taiqwon Augur

I'll add that while streaming can be pretty cool for certain games, EQ (IMO) is not one of them.

Here watch me stream my chat windows and dmg logs! EQ is like Golf. Fun to play but jesus christ on a cracker watching someone else play is beyond boring.
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I don't know... I'm sure that if a dev gave a bird's eye view of some of the expansion boss events, people may be more interested. Or a flowing stream of zone exploration.

Veracity's YouTube tribute to VG & raiding pulled 8k views... From a game with one server and avg daily population peak <400 (including alt accts).

Content drives views, not just the title.. Though title popularity does draw the most.
  4. Tinytinker Augur

I've tried watching EQ streams in the past and not enjoyed them. Each time I've gone to one, the screen's been overly cluttered with text; there's been a lot of standing around waiting for the raid to start; and the people in the streams have tried to push an agenda (recruitment for their guilds or calling for nerfs).
  5. Bidaum_TR Lorekeeper

Sorry Tob, but you lost me at "Landmark".... While it might be fun to watch time-lapse buildings grow a brick at a time over there; over here we just do it. Streaming EQ from a player standpoint would be like a camera looking at a mirror. Players have made videos to instruct other, newer players how to do "something." But at the same time those videos also caused grief to entire classes especially when they showed something that got labelled an exploit.
    Frankly, I'm surprised Big Brother would turn you loose among us, since you can also document broken graphics, broken items, broken quests that would make Devs look bad.

Anyway; Welcome to EQ
  6. Riou EQResource

Sadly, I agree with this. WoW is like the only MMO that gets any kind of viewership number wise, I don't get why so many people watch that though, MMORPG's just seem boring to watch in general :p
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Watching someone camp an item or grind xp would't be worth it.
    Watching 20mins of raid setup... Not worth it.
    Use as a recruitment plug... Never seen that being effective.

Now...
    Watching an exploration/journey... Sure
    Watching an exciting battle from a 3rd party perspective? Sure.

There are thousands of thousands of twitch streams. The ones that do well are the ones that play to their strengths.
    The game title will draw an inital amount of viewers, based on popularity.
    The content will keep them coming back and draw in new viewers (or vice versa if the content is poor)

Since a normal player probably won't be able to stream really good shots of raid events, it may be best to stay away from the end-game. (Only do raid events where a spare person "filming" won't be detrimental and the event doesn't take 30+ mins for a single fight)

Start at level 1, home town, not tutorial.
    Make it about the journey.
    Don't stream 2 hours of xp grind, item camping, or pulling to a single location.
    Choose a different area each stream (if possible). For instance, upper Sebellis one steam, lower seb the next or completely different zones like Lake Rathetear one stream and Mts of Rathe the next.
    Maybe follow along the epic 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 quests, ommitting the long camp portions. (If the mob isn't up, don't stream camping it).

Things like that...
  8. Kamea Augur

No audience, so few streamers. I even find watching edited guild clips boring.
  9. Iila Augur

Doesn't help that most of the streams that would be interesting lose the few things that would make an EQ stream more than standing next to a mob for a bit until it dies. No raid vent, not interacting with any stream chat, and covering any text worth reading with black boxes make EQ streams incredibly boring.
  10. Benzarden Augur

I tried to get my brother to play EQ with me in 2000. I hopped on my character and showed him the game. He was thoroughly unimpressed by the pace of the game. He didnt even have interest in starting his own char to try it. I have to agree with others that have said the pace of EQ makes it incredibly boring to watch. Though I'd argue that the slower pace of EQ is one of the best and most addictive features. It allows you to communicate and connect with other players in a way that fast paced games do not. These relationships you build are the foundation of "Evercrack." Bottom line, EQ is a great game to play, but a terribly boring game to watch.

note: this is coming from someone with no interest in watching other people play video games. If I'm interested in a game, I will play it, not watch somebody else play it. So I'm not exactly your target audience.
  11. Brohg Augur

There was a fella streamed his EQ for a while, got a couple dozen viewers nightly. Random exping from 80ish (he got PLed to there) to 100.
  12. halfpint77 Lorekeeper

Hello Tobrin!

Glad to see you make it over to EQ 1 - I also am a Landmark player and have done some streaming, none to the extent you have. Streaming in EQ1 is different, and the reasons were listed above from other members of the community. EQ1 Streaming would mostly consist of Raid events, Anniversary events or perhaps questing tutorials. As for main game play (Grouping/exp grinding/ item farming etc.) no one really is interested in seeing that, we would rather go in game to that camp / zone / named. Landmark is a great venue to stream due to what Landmark is; EQ1 on the other hand has limited appeal and limited numbers interested, and even fewer numbers who would actually look for an EQ1 Live stream.

There is no real press from SOE for EQ1 to encourage live streaming, heck there isn't even any real advertizing being done to let people know EQ1 still exists.

But thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy you're adventures in the old world of Norrath!
  13. ChoppSuey Journeyman

Depending what is on espn at the time I normally have some kind of live steam going on in the background. I wouldn't mind watching an actual oldschool geared player going through older content. As far as anything else its the same as watching paint dry
  14. Tmon Journeyman

I believe there is a person on the Cazic-Thule server who raids with the Freelance group that streams (twitch) during raids. I'm sorry, I don't remember his character name.
  15. Leighton_Orestes Elder

We have two who stream some of our raids in guild. If you're interested can get a hold of vox.dandin or vox.xaui. (Click their names for links to their twitch accounts)

They were streaming our plane of war kill last night. Was a pretty exciting fight, and no they didn't cover up our teamspeak chat or hide any guild messages. (twitch.tv/sinespawn/c/5225825)

Be warned though, we are an adult guild and like to have an adult good time. So if language is an issue, you may want to mute it. :) Blame the DPS who decided to burn at 20%, unbalancing the zek brothers and causing the raid to wipe for the more, um, colorful language.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  16. Fendy Augur

If I wanted to watch someone else play a game I'd be sleeping in my recliner with the golf channel on. ;)
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  17. iniari-TR Augur

on another game I play , a member on our team announced that he was streaming the battle.
    we got decimated within minutes.

the other team was watching the stream. :p
    ChoppSuey likes this.
  18. Bahdah Augur

i could stream now and then, if someone helps me block vent from it... (if possible)
  19. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

2 PC's 2 mic's... P2T/activate mic on both. ROI vent on 2nd PC.

Not optimal (especially getting used to guild voip on a different box) but lets you split and "talk" to each independently. Would be an even more boring stream, watching EQ with no sound at all lol.

I just use something like FRAPS (can't remember the better one's name atm), then edit, add commentary/music, intro, credits, etc and toss on YouTube.
  20. Kamea Augur

Can also use Vent on android.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.