Stop fiddling around with pet agro/mitigation, here is the better fix!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sneakle, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Sneakle New Member

Reverse all the crap!

Now add a massive banish/ward summoned to mobs you dont want pets to tank It can be direct target which will kill a pet instantly, and AE on other mobs if needed.

Very little dev time to do this, very easy, add a proc pr swing to those mobs, done.

But do stop trying to do things that does not work but annoy players even on live servers?

I was considering coming back, but since my main is a Magician and I dont want to spend days leveling a new character, I wont since you do not know what you are doing atm. I mean, do you even test these things thru?

Mages need a good pet, no root, no FD, no heal/life tap, no escape but to run. Pet walling is the issue, kill the pets when attempted, dont over nerf things, add things, that does not really work.

Imho :)
    Agrippa, Burstaf and Drexll like this.
  2. Ducreux Augur

1. Delete the mage class.
    2. Give druids call of the hero
    3. Call it a day
    DruidCT, Venthos and GrugSA like this.
  3. Edge Apprentice

Great idea Sneakle. Much better than what their current "fix" is.
  4. Dral Elder

DBGs added a flag to NPCs that can stop pets from generating any aggro at all - part of the aggro they would have normally generated is transferred to the pet owner.

This change makes pet walling a boss impossible, if the flag is on for a particular boss. In this case, you have to have a PC tanking in order for the pets to attack the boss, or the pet owner will instantly get aggro.

Bosses with the MotM buff greatly reduce the damage pets do and pets HP and mitigation were greatly reduced.

Now that the anti wall code was added, the pet debuff should be relaxed a little, as mages can't land fire or magic nukes on many raid targets and their pet is the only DPS they bring.

As it stands right now, mages are going to be pretty useless on boss fights until they have the ability to land nukes - which does eventually happen.

The aggro changes to pets on live have nothing to do with pet walling or the TLPs.

1. They gave pets the ability to tank while a PC is in range.
    2. They adjusted the aggro the pets were generating, because it was over the top.
    3. They added AA skills to set different aggro levels for the pet.

The only change that really needs to happen is an adjustment to #2.
  5. Marthisdil Augur

Wait...include mage DS too - it's better.
  6. Ducreux Augur

I'm accepting a few sacrifices (DS, Mod Rods, Pet weps) in exchange for the class's removal.
  7. Tulgin Augur

I suggested something similar months ago.

Proc: Banish Summoned (100% proc chance)
    Target: Summoned Creatures
    High Direct Damage + Moderate AoE damage
    Affects Summoned Targets Only

So any time the boss hits a pet, it's going to do DD + AoE damage. Maybe instantly killing the targetted pet and bringing all other pets down by 25% hp or so.

Done. Messing about with aggro, mitigation, HP, etc etc. What a waste of time.

Pet's have been messed up for too long now though, the only solution is a mass Wipe it Clean (tm) and start again, for all servers.
  8. Edge Apprentice

Excellent suggestion. Wonder why they didn't do something like this instead of gutting the entire class.
  9. Tulgin Augur

I wanted payment for use of my idea's.
  10. Edge Apprentice

Well they seem to think that pet mitigation is fine, which is baffling to me. I haven't played retail since PoP, the release of Phinny made me come back to give it a try. So I do not know how pets were prior to the mitigation nerf. I did play for a few years on p99 and mained a mage however. And pets here are a complete joke (hp/mitigation wise) compared to p99 which is supposed to be "classic". On p99 I have never seen a "pet wall" or pets tanking for a group, but they can hold their own and allow a mage to solo effectively without face tanking the mob.

Were pets too strong here prior to the nerf? Perhaps they were, I can't speak to that. But as they are currently, they are nothing like classic, and definitely much weaker than they should be.
  11. Rauven Augur

As I said before, mages can lie in the bed they made for themselves.

I made a suggestion shortly after the Ragefire release that curbed the power of pets without nerfing them by raising the level requirement of the pet summon spells themselves. This would have minimal impact on live (affecting levels 1-60 only). Many of the spells were simply returned to the original level ranges to boot.

However, the mages scoffed at the idea and said it was too impactful. They then did some crazy sh-t in game and got themselves hit with the nerf bat. So screw them. Let them sit at lower DPS than Druids.
  12. lancelove Augur

Mage earth pets damage mitigation has been nerfed just recently (weeks) to where it cannot 75% of the time tank in a group against named, with an enchanter, cleric and excellent dps. I know this because the group I have which kills named in all of the latest 2 expansions now struggles to stay alive. Not because of the lack of taunting by the earth pet (its actually not that bad), but because they made its damage mitigation so bad at the moment. So for group content, this is the worst I have seen the mage earth pet at least in a long long time. Instead of being able to hook up with a mage to fill out a group because you can not find a warrior to tank for group progression, you are now stuck sitting there...hoping your group of 5 can wait hours upon hours to find a tank. How many days and weeks of that before people find something else to do and eventually stop playing. Makes no sense.
  13. Tulgin Augur

What % of mages / necro players were actually involved with pet walling? 1%? Lay off the crack pipe bro.
    Drexll likes this.
  14. Bewts Augur

Player count is irrelevant when they run 30+ pet classes themselves. They displayed what massive numbers of a class can do - and the nerf bat took the pet classes deep. Not much unlike filling a raid with as many SK's for HT in DPS races.

It sucks, and I'm curious if it will be as brutal for beastlords considering beastlords have to be in melee range to dps, the inability to back out and heal themselves due to aggro changes completely breaks the class.
  15. Finley Augur

Not many people who boxed 5-35 magicians considered any of the mages to be their main anyways.
  16. -wycca Augur

Because NPC's are coded to ignore all casting restrictions on spells/procs. That proc would land on players too.
  17. Rauven Augur

At that time no one was 40 yet. So nothing I said had anything to do with pet walling.

So yeah it is to all the mages. They can just reroll anyway. They need to stop being bad by choosing a bad class.
  18. Lorong New Member

In original EQ there was a time when pets on raids were discouraged due to breaking mez and bad pathing. Thing to remember is that mages are so one dimensional that any changes to pets makes or breaks their playstyle.

Therefore I hope any nerfs are reversed because mage armies is the lesser of two evils, let people enjoy their class. Now the only thing that is left in EQ is nostalgia. There shouldn't be any nerfs for any reason.
  19. Rhiyannon Augur

yeah.... 30+ mage armies... sure lmfao
  20. Iyvy Augur

Mages are not the weakest class in the game. I for one am fine with the nerfs, sorry to legit mages but the mage armies are all gone and watching the boxers try and box an actual group is hilarious.
    Rhiyannon likes this.