STILL no tank mercenary weapons?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rickoshay, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Rickoshay Journeyman

I was hopeful that our tank mercenaries would have their weapons returned. Looks like that may never happen since it hasn't been fixed by now. I feel CHEATED that I must send my tank merc into battle with no weapons. Why has that obvious visual effect not been addressed by any of the patches since the release of the ToL expansion? Disgusting.
    Fenthen and Izzard of Bertox like this.
  2. Chaoslayer Journeyman

They have lots of game breaking bugs that could be fixed.
    Rickoshay likes this.
  3. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Agree - for a visual form of entertainment- things like this should be given some attention.
    Rickoshay likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

It just had been forgotten to also remove their armors. Monk tanks ftw !
    Rickoshay and Nennius like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

I think mercs. should organize! Down with the oppression of the players! Give them weapons now! What? No! Don't dissssbbbbaaaannnddd me.........
    Rickoshay likes this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Mercenaries were given non visible gear because tanks mercs with merc weapon equipped tanked significantly worse than one without a weapon
  7. Knifen Augur

Were did you find that info? I'm not saying your wrong or right, its just in my head id rather them hit with a weapon and do some type of dmg then see them punching someone.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not sure I completely understand these statements. Not sure if you are making a joke as if this is a cosmetic complaint.

The tanks not having weapons is not a visual bug. They don't actually have weapons. It is believed to be impacting their already sub-par performance.

IIRC, the 120 cleric merc doesn't have a shield and is missing out on the AC and block benefits related to having one?
  9. code-zero Augur

Back in 2017 was when there was a change
    minimind likes this.
  10. Sup Rog Elder

Let us just turn our alts into mercenaries! I'd buy another gold sub, to be able to have that.
    Ozon and Vumad like this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

From the post code-zero linked:

I can't tell if that means "weapons don't matter" or "the swappable weapons were crap, so now we auto-spawn the mercs with specific weapons that are much more effective".

If the latter, then the the lack of weapons/shields new high-level mercs is a problem beyond cosmetics. I assume it's the latter because my tank merc slashes with weapons and punches without and thus the weapon is more than a graphic.
  12. Tappin Augur

Tanks? Not sure they can even be classified as speed bumps.
  13. Knifen Augur

Yeah I'm thinking that's just the equipable vigilant gear they are talking about. But they def equipped weapons in 2021/2022. That or I'm just going crazy.
    Rickoshay likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

They are talking about armor in the merc tab in that patch note. The tank merc had been duel weilding swords since that patch. They parse as slashing. They would simply spawn with swords rather than you putting an item on them via your inventory window. However, since ToL, I believe 120 specifically, the merc has been parsing as punch.
    Nennius and minimind like this.
  15. Celephane Augur

The last time this happened it was stated that weapons or not it doesn't matter, it is merely a graphic bug is all. They still do their same stuff either way
    Rickoshay and code-zero like this.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is a little more explanatory for the bug at that time.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Mercenaries

or in long form so you don't have to click a link:

Originally, mercenary equipment had the following bugs:
    • Tank mercs who wear a shield have reduced aggro generation
    • Rogue mercs who receive two weapons reduce their DPS (by half). Tank mercs also have lower dps with a shield, but tank merc dps is already so low the difference in dps is unlikely to matter.

In the February 15, 2017 game update, changes were made which also fixed the above bugs:
    - Mercenary equipment has been simplified and improved:
    - - All existing pieces of mercenary equipment (excluding the Vestments of the Forsaken) are now 'Faded' items that can be converted to newer equivalent level and archetype items.
    - - Vendors that sell mercenary equipment now sell the newer items.
    - - The stats for all levels of mercenary equipment have been improved significantly.
    - - There are now four archetypes of mercenary equipment corresponding to each of the four mercenary types: Defender, Soother, Assassin, and Sorcerer.
    - - Mercenary equipment slots have been changed from head, chest, primary, and secondary to ear, neck, shoulder, and waist in order to correct a bug that would cause melee DPS and tank mercenaries to become less effective when wielding primary/secondary equipment.

From Fanra

I think this will all be moot once the new ranks come out.

Rickoshay likes this.
  17. Conq Augur

Merc's are the Devil.
    Conq
    Rickoshay likes this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Mercs have extended the life of eq for alot of people. Gotta remember not everybody boxes a bunch of chars. I know for me if there was no mercs i be playing something else.
  19. Strawberry Augur

How do you know it is actually the fault of DPG. Maybe the merc decided weapons aren't his thing and decided his knuckles can do the job.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Good point. Has anyone actually asked the mercs. what they want? What we think of as their fists could actually be a digital representation of something like an Absor smash sort of thing. Weapons might actually reduce their damage output. I for one wouldn't want to risk what could be a huge cause of damage to the space/time continuum and or Force.
    Rondor, Fenthen and minimind like this.