Starting...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ditka, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Ditka Journeyman

So I'm going to be starting on Phinigel server and was curious about Rangers. Are they well-received on Phinigel?

I'd love to play one, but my backup plan is a Rogue. I just think they are kind of basic though. Sure, they do what they do very well, but I wanted a bit more for play options.

However, the last thing I want is to put a bunch of effort into something and nobody really want the class for Groups or Guilds.
  2. CaptainSkeet Augur

Make a class you want to play. No one is "exempt" from raiding of grouping. All classes have their uses, even if in the future. Bard for example get some great things in PoP. Rangers get head shot. Rogues get some crazy poisons in OOW. I wouldn't worry about it too much, and if for some reason it becomes an issue, make your own groups so you won't have to worry about getting an invite.
    arwilly and Your_Ad_Here like this.
  3. Adonhiram Augur

Yes, CaptainSkeet is right, make what you wanna play. The class desirability issue is really less problematic than it used to be in early EQ on live, no one is left behind for grouping/raiding. Of course, you still get more attention as a cleric or a warrior, but that's how EQ always has been and it's not preventing other classes from enjoying themselves and fitting into a community.
  4. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Rangers get track. People pay for Rangers to track mobs. Profit!
  5. jiri_ Augur

My experience in the low-to-mid level game across the last week has been that I'm struggling to find healers and struggling even harder to find tanks, but haven't had trouble putting groups together with DPS. Most of my healers have been Shamans with one or two Druids and very few Clerics; I haven't seen a Paladin in quite some time and I've only grouped with one or two Warriors and SKs. I've been doing most of the tanking as a Ranger, which isn't sustainable for much longer. So my recommendation would be to play one of those two as getting to 60 isn't trivial.

That said of course just play what you want to.
  6. Ryanxp Augur

Caster classes you'll have the most luck with. Armor is trivial.

I started a rogue, and without constant badgering of friends, group members, guildies, I always came in last. There's a lot of twinking, and running around doing a 50 damage backstab at 25 made me facepalm -- hell, was glad to get the group and nobody really cares as they understand, but I definitely felt like the 3rd wheel..

With a druid, you'll be apt at any level, and you can /join taxi channel and get some monies
    Likewise with wizard

With necro (or druid), you'll be able to solo certain named

With chanter, you'll be your own boss

With cleric, you'll always get a group (and random messages from friends, asking if you're busy)

Mage. Shaman. Still deff apt gearless.

All melee: You'll struggle to find the best of the best weapons, gear lacking, and in the end-game, difficulty on soloing even a light blue or green. You're always a great choice, when dps or tanks are needed, but so are our casters. But you'll find yourself envious until you start your trek in Chardok, Old Seb, and all those other end-game zones to gear up what many Lv.1s will be using.

It's all fun,
    but I suggest a caster class if you're not insusceptible
  7. Adonhiram Augur

Also it is easier nowadays to have unconventional groups as people know mobs, strats, are better geared than back in the days. If you have no healer, recruit mages/necs/beastlords (if on Phinny) and let pets tank and resummon when needed. The aggro overhaul also makes it easier with petclasses, you can again partner a mage and a rogue for example.
    Glistarian likes this.
  8. Glistarian Augur

Play what you want. Leveling up, there's virtually no tanks right now. Most of the ones that exist are uber-twinked, but when you're sitting in a group of all casters, you just want a meatshield. Even poorly geared warriors/knights are welcome, and rangers, monks, and bards tank all the time. Sure, at 60 they can't really, but by then there's plenty of actual tanks.

To tell the truth, rogues do have it hard, but only because of the lack of tanks that can let them backstab.

I've leveled 2 toons in the last 6 weeks and never seen anyone complain a melee was undergeared or didn't do enough dps. Groups never have a dps problem anyway. People just want the full 6 person group whenever possible.

Especially right now with most on their 60s mains grinding aa's, groups are taking whoever comes along.
  9. taliefer Augur

rangers are competent group tanks all the way up to and including 60, and are very welcome on raids currently once they get a bare minimum amount of AA.

i always tell people to play what they want, but rangers are in a very good position right now as it happens anyway. that said, there is still a stigma to the ranger class for some reason, so common perception may not match reality.
  10. Arclan Elder

I started a month ago, rolling a cleric. Rogues and rangers seem rare; but rogues seems to be more desirable in groups because although rangers have DPS, rogues have more. Personally I'm happy to group with rangers and rogues alike.

I've rarely had a hard time finding a tank; and if you think about it, the desirable group is 1 tank, 1 cc, 1 healer, 3 dps. And melee DPS is in high demand because their damage is not resisted; fewer people play melee DPS due to the inability to teleport and solo.

Rangers bring DPS, snare, and SOW, and track. Mobs die fast enough that snare isn't necessary; I've rarely had it in groups; and SOW potions are cheap. I have never seen anyone in general chat saying willing to donate for Track.
  11. Arclan Elder

I found this amusing. from 2014.

Warrior vs rogue vs ranger#1

1. which is the best best dps
    2. which is the best all around
    3. which in your opinion is more fun
    4. which is best for boss runs

I really don't care to much for pvp, i love, LOVE, dps high hits and out doing others, but i almost equally love being able to stay alive. I also prefer to solo train but will group too. I just am having a hard time deciding which to go with. Thanks for the help

RESPONSE FOLLOWS:

1 rogue any day
    2 rogue as well
    3 rogue
    4 rogues always hit the highest so rogue.

End of story. Easily the best class
    Lvl 110 rogue
    Rosmerta
  12. Arclan Elder

13. Adonhiram Augur

Arclan likes this.