Starting stats

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cazguk, May 26, 2021.

1. Cazguk New Member

any veterans necromancer know which stat points i should allocate in a new human necromancer on mischief
  2. jiri_ Augur

Some people will say 25 Int 5 Sta, others will say 25 Sta 5 Int. It depends on whether you're going to play past PoP and intend to raid.
  3. Cazguk New Member

I def plan on playing past pop I've only ever played p99 rly on a serious note and we o ly ever tried to put stam in the beginning since its hard to get
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

didn't see this was about TLP, please disregard. :oops:
  5. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

All possible points into stamina!
  6. Ted the Mechanic Journeyman

I love the monthly rehash of what the best starting stats are. It's cute that people still care. It's a guaranteed indicator of someone who played in vanilla EQ when it actually mattered. The bad stat choices regret was a common and real thing back then.
    Anyone familiar with current endgame can tell you that it barely matters now. Heroic stats have 10x the impact, and gear easily caps all base stats. The min/maxxers will tell you otherwise, but most folks these days just throw the whole pool at stamina and be done. For any magelo people that think they have some kind of edge from starting stat choices, I'll tell you there are 100 ways to cheat that system. Coding there has barely been touched in a decade.
    TLP are the only level playing field where it would matter, and skill far outweighs stat choice. My advice is: don't let regret or FOMO dictate what is one of the singular points of personal choice you get in this game. Even your character name is less indelible. Do what seems right to you. If nothing else, it makes you unique. Hell, you could max out INT for faster skillups and tradeskill advantage. The point is: own it.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I've always done Stamina, regardless of class. Stamina = HP = staying alive longer = more of your job in the long run, etc...

Now... For the most part, stats don't mean much. Yes, in Classic, they mean more than other expansions. In Kunark, you'll see some of the same, due to limited stats on items. Come Luclin you'll be easily hitting cap on your primary and possibly secondary stats. This is even more the case if you get decked out in Vex Thal gear.

PoP rolls around and stats are just a thing of the past. You'll easily be capping out most stats and resists without really trying. It stays this way from PoP onward.

At some point (Around TDS I think?) the focus heavily shifts into Heroic stats. Not only due to the game mechanic changes that were made.. but prior to that, getting enough Heroic stats to activate said mechanics just isn't a thing.

Now...

The one minor minor foresight is DoN progression. One of the DoN AA's will give you increased HP/Mana. This is based partly on your class, but it derives the base multiplier from you UNMODIFIED base stats. That means 0 gear, 0 buffs. AA's that increase the stat cap and stat amount do count.

This is a very small amount "per stat point" but it's something to take into consideration.