Spell Damage and Clairvoyance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hellboy007, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Hellboy007 Augur

Going through upgrading some caster gear. So it seems like huge mana upgrade and even AC in some slots relative to CoTF T1 raid gear.

However i have a concern.

if i upgrade say 2 bracers i will loose 68 Spell Damage & 96 Clairvoyance.

Basically 2 group bracers will have 2 spell damage and 4 Clairvoyance.. does this even sound right? Could this be more of the unfinished part of itemization? Considering TDS wizard T3 Group bracers had Spell Dmg: 31 Clairvoyance: 44

Ill be honest i have no clue what those 2 do and if they make much of a difference.
  2. Hellboy007 Augur

Well it would seem this is sort of the same for all slots.. This would be basically like having 22 spell Damage and 44 Clairvoyance... Vs the gear i have now 810 Spell Damage and 1166 Clairvoyance.

I have to think this would make a difference wouldn't it? unless those 2 stats on gear means nothing.
  3. Silv Augur

From what I've seen of peoples' posts that are much more knowledgeable on those intricacies... it's insignificant. Get the HP/Mana/Heroics you want and call it a day. The contribution of +Spell Damage and Clairvoyance will not ever make up for decreases in the other stats.

I'm sure some others with actual stats and calculations will post though.
    Pirlo likes this.
  4. Hellboy007 Augur

but there is no way this is right lol. its not just spell damage and clairvoyance.. it is all of those secondary stats. Avoidance/Sheilding and so on. its simply not there. something is not right at all.. OMG i even notice even basic mana regen is a significant downgrade..

There is no way this gear would work for a tank lol
  5. segap Augur

I'm guessing you went all in on either HP or Mana with either the Valiant or Resourceful type 9s. You could take a more balanced approach with Vengeful and the SD and Clairvoyance are at least close to TDS values. Other things like mana regen do go down a point or two which is a high percentage considering how low those values start off at.

In the end, itemization just plain sucks. I like the idea of having some choice. The implementation is half baked at this time. It's become a one size fits all for all slots and classes. You're forced to trade off some stuff that is beneficial to multiple classes with different AC and HME needs to fulfill those roles. The mods need to be untied from the other choices and be baselined versus TDS. There is no way to get a good balance for various classes.
    Iila likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Can't speak to the other stats, but for clairvoyance, I just parsed my recent EQ log. 1788 fights, and clairvoyance proc'ed 158 times. So approximately once every twelve fights.

As close to completely worthless as you can get.

Tat
    Iila likes this.
  7. Hellboy007 Augur

I see what your saying.. so the nice caster augs (big mana) really are just a mana bag.. this way of doing this is just no good..

its just a bunch of "you think your upgrading, but your really not.."

is raid gear still simple? lol
  8. Silentchaos Augur

The loss of mod2s and mod3s on gear is likely unintentional. The latter is mostly inconsequential for casters. The former, however, is very important and worth sacrificing hme ac and heroics by equipping older gear to remain mod2 capped.
  9. Silv Augur

Raid gear is pretty much the same aside from a few exceptions:
    1. There are 4 - 5ish "templates" per slot that vary by heroics mostly. They no longer indicate the "ideal class" the item is for.
    2. Visibles are jacked up for some classes. Ex: Enchanter raid visibles have HUGE drops in AC and hAGI and apparently got a boost to hSTA instead because... no clue. I know a few other classes are kindof QQ with their armor as well
    3. Non-visibles seem relatively on-par upgrade wise with TBM. There are no mod2/3 issues.
  10. Cicelee Augur

My magician is 62/35 shielding. I could lose 25 points of shielding and still be above the limit of 35.

Keep that in mind, some of these mods do have a limit as to how valuable they are.
  11. Hellboy007 Augur

12. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

It's part of it, but incomplete. The bonus you get depends on the cast + recast time of the spell.

Source post
    Iila and Axxius like this.
  13. Hellboy007 Augur

If its correct.. i just want to compare spell damage effects if one would to simply use the mana augs on TBM gear.

This will exclude Type 7 augs.

Total spell damage with TBM gear ~30
    Total spell damage with TDS T3 group gear ~660
    Total spell Damage with CotF T1 raid gear ~880

Spell Ethereal Skyblaze Rk. II
    Damage: 31743
    Cast Time: 3.75
    Recast Time 5.5
    Total Cast time: 9.25
    SD factor: 1.321

TBM SD bonus: 39.6
    TDS Group bonus: 871
    CotF T1 Raid bonus: 1162

Base DPS 3431
    TBM bonus dps: 4.28
    TDS bonus dps: 94
    CoF bonus dps: 125

Formula
    (Cast_Time + Recast_Time) / 7 * Spell_Damage = bonus damage per hit of spell
  14. Axxius Augur

Yes, kinda. Sirene posted the more detailed version. And that bonus dmg is not focusable.

Both SD and Clairvoyance are irrelevant as far as gear choices are concerned. You get some baseline amount of them (unless Aristo forgets to add them at all :rolleyes: ), and the small variations from gear/augs choices don't make any difference. They need to be buffed by 20x before we start paying attention to them.
  15. DruidCT Augur

If you like spell damage you could be using Resplendent Sulstone of the Vengeful rather than one that does not include SD. Or you could split them half and half and get some of your spell damage back at the cost of mana. For my druid I take Resplendent Sulstone of the Beneficient and keep a reasonable heal amount (although thats not really why I chose that one). The druid TDS group gear gave us both HA and SD. So I suppose I should split half and half if I want to keep my spell damage up (will be a net loss to TDS unless they change things). I guess I'll play with my magelo and see if its worthwhile (I doubt it). Like Axxius said it really needs to be like an order of magnitude higher for it to count for much. After things settle out I may change the mix of Augs I use.
  16. svann Augur

I think 1 SD is worth about the same as 15 mana.
  17. Sancus Augur

Spell Damage crits, so it will do somewhat more than those numbers suggest.

When doing augs or minor gear upgrades, +/- a few spell damage will make essentially no difference. However, if you're losing out on ~600-800+ spell damage, it will make a noticeable difference in your DPS. I'll admit I haven't spent much time looking at TBM group gear, but it appears you have to make a pretty huge sacrifice in terms of mana to get the spell damage added back in. With that in mind, for most in group gear, that loss in SD/DPS is likely worth the extra mana.
  18. Axxius Augur

TBM gear is messed up in many ways, including the lack of SD. I assume it's just a temporary issue and will get fixed sooner rather than later.