Specialization Augs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by The Drood, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Iila Augur

My last two divination spells were level 68, and 52, both of which are replaced by my group invis AA. The last time I actually cast a divination spell was Sense Animal in my Epic Request mission. Most other classes are in the same boat for that school's usefulness. The divination one is definitely just there to fill out the cycle more than to be useful is my guess.

And paladins/hybrids don't get specialization skills to make use of these augs. But I know they would be snatching up the alteration and evocation augs if they could.
  2. Nylrem Augur

assuming you're a druid, here...

IMO, it sounds like you're not using what I consider the best heal (coincidentally adds a touch of dps) multibind of Sunbeam Blessing, Vivication, Stemfang Rush, then Sterivida... Go ahead and try that one time, and see how your mana holds out.

If all you do is spam 'vida as single target heals with the necessary group heals when needed, then no, mana will not be an issue. Use the higher casting cost, better heals though, and you will see a dramatic difference in your mana usage.

Also, that spec aug will be helping you (where a straight mana aug will not) after a death or mana drain component. After you receive a rez, click that mod rod, possibly receive a focused paragon, etc, then you will have a very limited amount of mana to continue casting. A 300m aug gives you nothing to add to that, a spec aug will save you 40m ish per vivication, 25m ish per sterivida, 55m per lunassuage, that you are casting with that very limited amount of mana. It may just allow you to cast 1 extra heal needed that event.
  3. BoomWalker Augur

Hmmm....

Not sure the cost of Stemfang Rush is worth the DS damage over the long run...since you can get 2 x the Stemfang casts in the same mana amount...

Lets say over 90 seconds (just for discussion) you can get 28 casts of in the weave....something like

Adrenaline Rush x 5
    Sterivida x 10
    Sunbreeze Blessing x 6
    Vivification x 7

and if that costs 25k in mana (roughly?)...but if you used Stemfang Rush your mana cost is an extra 10K (speculation at this point)...that means you spend 35k in the same time as just healing gives you 25k...not sure that is a good trade off if you are suppose to be healing.

Now, if a fight lasts longer than 450 seconds (7+ minutes?) AND your all out spam healing...you will run out of mana with just the listed spells...(90 seconds x 4 = 450 seconds, 25k mana x 4 = 100k)....

Adding in the Stemfang Rush means you will run out faster. And of course, being OOM at the end of a fight is a great thing...it means you have done your job of spending your mana....or was it to heal/dps/etc?

Using 35k (guessimate) in 90 seconds for 5 Stemfang Rush means you run out of mana in 270 seconds (4+ minutes) instead of 7+ minutes....which looks nice but not sure that is the best option.

And that doesn't include any group heals needed in the mix...which will slow down the weave (extending your mana?)...

Still, agree that casting just Sterivida over and over will not likely run a drood out of mana in most fights...even if is just spammed over and over...but casting Sterivida at (3.75 casting time + 1.5 recast) would mean 17 casts in 90 seconds if things were perfect. Compared to 22 + any possible twincasts in the weave. With any reduction in casting time (to 2.3 for example) you get 2.3 + 1.5 and thus 23 casts in 90 seconds. The total healing power is less (ignoring crits) with just spamming Sterivida...but at a greater mana savings.

The weave looks nice...even with just Adrenaline Rush instead of the more expensive spell...and overall healing would be greater because of Adrenaline Rush's base heal amount...

Now droods just have to decide if they want to use the least amount of mana for less overall healing (Sterivida only) or a version of the weave listed...for more mana but more healing overall.

Interesting suggestion...
  4. Mykaylla Augur

Fenthen is a cleric.
  5. Nylrem Augur

Cleric isn't really any different.

If all you mainly do is spam Light/Word, mana won't be an issue.

If you use better, faster heals such as a multibind of Graceful, Fraught, Fervent, Virt. Intervention, Ely. Intervention, then Light for single target healing, it will be.
  6. Nylrem Augur

Also, finishing every event with 60% mana is much more of a waste than finishing with 0%. If it's an event where mana might be an issue when using high casting cost spells...

Well, that's what this OP was about, if this aug is useful. It very much is, for those that use least efficient, but higher healing, higher cc spells. If you don't, and never run OOM ever, then it's no more useful than any 300m aug would be.
  7. Nylrem Augur

Global cooldown is 1.9 seconds, not 1.5, like so many post.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No it's not. The spellbar refresh time depends on the spell, and -most- of them have 1.5 seconds times. A few have more, a few have less, but the vast majority are 1.5.

Lucy calls it "Fizzle Time," Raidloot.com calls it "Rest Time" and EQResource calls it "Spell Bar Lockout" for reference.
    Evercluck and Mykaylla like this.
  9. Nylrem Augur

Take a spell you can immediately recast... cast it 100 times using a stopwatch to see how long it takes you to cast it that many times, then see if it's not ~1.9 sec.

If I cast Rev. Light 100 times as fast as it can be cast, it takes 408 seconds, with raid focuses, spell cast time of 2.2 seconds. That equals 1.88s global cooldown. If it was 1.5s global cooldown, it would only take 370 seconds.

If I do the same thing with my raid focus magician with Beam of Brimstone, it takes 336 seconds to cast it 100 times, with 1.5 second cast time on that spell, with focuses, for 1.86 cooldown. It should only take 300s to cast beam 100 times.

Possibly it's in the cast time of the spell itself... most certainly there is a very small amount of lag/operator delay of hitting my hotkey for the spell (I did both tests in GGH instance, only a couple people in them, and almost 0 lag and was extremely fast at hitting the key). But there is NO WAY it should be adding over 30 seconds to 100 casts, if it's actually 1.5s global cooldown.

However you want to figure it, the cast time plus 1.5s is NOT the total cast time you should use for a spell.

Try it with an instant recast wizard spell, and see how long it takes you to cast it 100 times.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You are forgetting things like latency to the server, general computer lag, and human reaction times, (though that is less of an issue if you are using spam macro).

Just because something refreshes in 1.5 seconds doesn't mean you can -cast- it every 1.5 seconds exactly.

I should also point out that the spell bar actually lags behind the actual refresh. If you spam click something, it will cast before the bar actually stops being greyed out. I'm not 100% sure if that is for everyone or just a quirk of my computer, heh.
  11. Ismel Augur

If its just a quirk, I am also infected =)
  12. Crystilla Augur

I can also cast before the spell has fully ungreyed out (have gotten very good at that over the years). It is 1.5 seconds because of that.
  13. Nylrem Augur

My spell bar never ungreys when constant casting. I use a multbind which has from 2-9 spells each on, (not a macro) for almost everything, and always hitting it as fast as I can, always before the spell gem ungreys.

I usually replace my keyboard about every 6 months, as soon as the 'main' keys I use for my keybinds start sticking.

When figuring total time of spells being cast, you cannot use spell cast time plus 1.5s recast time.
  14. Axxius Augur

Your test shows that your effective lag is 0.4 sec. Which is pretty normal.
  15. Explicit Augur

Off-topic here but you should look into getting a mechanical keyboard. It's a bit pricier but it'll pretty much last until the end of time. Granted, they're a bit loud even with the "quiet" switches.
  16. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Cleric. See Magelo...
  17. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Between Yaulp, shawl aug, etc... I prefer HP/AC over mana. I can literally chain single target heals and never go below 97% mana during a raid. If I spam groups/splashes between main tank heals it takes 15-20 minutes to run out. I am usually only low on mana after death, and even then VP/QM/mana rod gets me out of it. However I typically save QM for BLs/Paladins/Druids that request it.