Something Unique! Its whats missing.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lyrical, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Lyrical Augur

Do not want to get a complaint started here. And do not want to hear any more about the recent nerfs. I just wanted to point out, as a player since original beta 1999, that what made this game incredible is long gone and gets further away with each update. This game was a challenge. At times, pretty brutal. Classes were not just important, they were exquisitely necessary. Sometimes the simplest thing like a class with snare was simply mandatory. Now in the group game, besides a very small amount of exceptions, nothing is mandatory. Everyone is a puller, everyone has the same gear, nothing really unique.

Not long ago items were much harder to get and with good reason. They actually made a big difference in your characters ability or power. A great equal reward for equal risk. Now you can kill a rat from level 1 to 100 and eventually get every piece of gear off it you need to stay above par for player equipment power. In current content now there is nothing unique that makes your character any different than someone else. Camp the item you want, or buy it with points. Here at everquest we now just want to make sure you all get what you want regardless of time spent or effort put in, or ability to play your character. With the most recent update what took paying customers years to accomplish is now handed out for a $15 month subscription. Granted, soe needs money and the game needs new blood, but its at a cost of veteran players. Class abilities are all farmed out completely. There is no longer a crowd control class or a pulling class or even a healing class. Some do some things slightly better than others but basically its a hodgepodge of the same thing with either plate, cloth, leather or chain graphics.

My proposal, as anyone suggesting something is wrong, had best offer something useful at the same time...........is while helping bring new blood to the game making it easier for them to catch up, at least put something into the game that gives the people who worked their butts off, and payed your salaries for 16 years something that sets them apart again. Or at least put in the option that allows them to strive for it if not achieve it. Why not one big fat epic quest line? For one item out of a list of items. You can only choose one........ever. You can use many of the current achievments like collections, missions, quests, slayers, hunters etc etc as ways to gain bits and pieces of the item you choose like the way the expansion reward for the discord seal. This will allow you to add power to the item or stats or both each expansion by putting in only a handful of quests/missions as well as having to complete the new achievements. So minimal work for devs with much of the needs being already in place, 1 item out of say 18 slots that effects YOUR individual class differently from all others. The only other suggestion would be.............make it actually epic. Meaning it really makes your character special and make it so difficult to get that the quest is worthy of being called epic as well. Devs it gives us vets something to do for the months between each piece of expansion you give us. This latest release lasted me 5 days and I havent played since. It leaves me wondering why im spending money each month waiting for something new. If I had something worth doing, that could set me apart once again, I wouldnt have that question entering my thoughts everytime my credit card bill comes in.

Thanks for your time.
    Melanippe likes this.
  2. Nissko Journeyman

I believe that they are implementing rare, hard to get items back as of the last few releases. Burdens, Rare shoulders, Shields / Belts / Rings w effects etc. . . It has brought some excitment back to loot a little bit. I know its chaos when our guild happens to get one.

I would sure NOT want to be responsible for those loot tells thats for sure.

I do miss the the days of exstensive itemization but it really isn't feasible anymore, in my opinion. Think people are wiggin out about nerfs and AA changes now? Try takin their free gear away and watch the sky fall.

I know I worked my butt off to get my Twincast click, and was very exvited when I accomplished it. Also even though it is easier than it once was, completing your Tear of Alaris is unique as well. I believe there are still unique things and achievements to be had if you try hard enough, they are just different than in years passed.

Hero, Destroyer Titles, Rare mounts and illusions, clickies. I know a guildy that collects Katanas. EQ is what you make it I think.
    Pirouette likes this.
  3. Lyrical Augur

"I believe that they are implementing rare, hard to get items back as of the last few releases. Burdens, Rare shoulders, Shields / Belts / Rings w effects etc."

Thanks for the reply. Shields, belts, rings, shoulders etc were things that use to be available through hard one fights when a new expansion was released. Now they are only new because they were not released when the expansion was. And you can purchase most of them with cotf heroic adventure coin you stashed away for a couple months waiting for new content. I would hardly call that rare.

As for the titles anyone who wants to kill gray con mobs with a damage shield can own the destroyer title. Its certainly not unique, or difficult, nor does it improve your character at all in any way. Mounts and illusions are now mostly purchased with station cash, it also does nothing to improve your character though you will look different from others, at least until they click their player made potion that does the same illusion as your clicky.

Your last statement I like and I appreciate that Eq is what you make of it. I use to say that all the time when people would say how tough the game was. Now a days I would argue that EQ isnt really what a player makes of it any longer. Its more like a one size fits all. The difficulty has been taken out of it and because of that the feeling of being a truly unique player/character is gone. Eq is still fun, obviously im still playing after all these years. Im just suggesting it needs a little magic back to regain its luster instead of just another shiny in the station cash store.
    Nissko likes this.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

8 tiers of gear every expansion
    Same spells copypasted every 5 levels
    Kill X, do all the quests in zone Y, earn Z aa's.

Change the names, add 15%, rinse repeat. This is what's wrong with the game. The only thing that changes are the names, the maps and artwork.

These days I couldn't tell you the name of a single piece of my gear that isn't part of a class-tier set unless I look at my Inventory/Magelo. 'T3 tank ring' 'T2 warrior BP' /yawn
  5. Tarrin Augur

The items in question are not rare merely because they were released when the expansion was.

The burden of truth, a helm, is still rare and its from RoF
    The shoulders from CotF are rare and they were released when CotF was.

You can purchase none of the items listed with HA coin/raid currency ( outside of doing a lot of raid achievements ).

There are plenty of rare items still in the game and ways to make your character unique.
    Nissko likes this.