Someone's random ooc comment looks different depending on who's viewing it

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mukkul, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Mukkul Augur

This is baffling me. I'm just sitting AFK in PoK with 3 characters and I noticed an older ooc comment, but one of the words is different depending on which character I'm viewing it with. It's bizarre enough that I checked my log files and they confirm it.

characters 1 and 2 log: [Tue Dec 28 07:17:45 2021] Archer says out of character, 'would there be a cleric who could cast a Temp on my trusty merc and I please?'

character 3 log: [Tue Dec 28 07:17:45 2021] Archer says out of character, 'would there be a cleric who could cast a Temp on my trusty merc and me please?'

How the heck is that possible?

The only way I can think of a word looking different is if one of our characters is drunk, but that would do random letter substitutions, not grammar corrections, so that can't be it in this case.

edit to add: Another way the chat could change is via the Bad Words filter, but it's set to "Show" on all 3 of my characters. Also, it's not a bad word. So that can't be it, either.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

You are now entering, the Twilight Zone
  3. Tucoh Augur

Never seen anything like this.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

One toon is an Ogre or something? Maybe needs to skill up a language? OOC may not show languages, maybe the person wasn't using common?
    Hegsheoshed and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  5. Yteran Lorekeeper

Server-side language translation is most likely IMO, followed by a server side filter all language passes through (and it plays tricks) followed by wildcards the server accepts and replaces with words.
    Mukkul likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just looks like he ooc'd to reflect the proper sentence structure.

merc and I is wrong
    merc and me is proper

But with all the server hiccups right now I'm going to vote Twilight Zone as mentioned above:D

Seriously dude, why aren't you out hunting named right now????
  7. Mukkul Augur

I never knew EQ did that. Your explanation sounds likely. The Googles say EQ introduced automatic language translation in 2001, so is that feature still active?
  8. Mukkul Augur

He only OOCed once, and it isn't possible to edit your own message after you've sent it.

I am doing hunter when I can, just there are many many things to take care of in both EQ and RL.
    Tucoh likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Him doing it in a different language sounds plausible, but i believe it can't change the number of characters between me and I.

Maybe server lag is due to them translating all my weapon swings and procs????
  10. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

The player speaking doesn't have max common tongue.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Speech impediments can be a problem.

A post above refers to "Server-side language translation". Given that EQ is being played by lots of folks for whom English is not their native tongue, does the game allow for viewing the text in-game in languages other than English? And if not through Daybreak, are there programs to translate text in-game available from other sources? I have friends whose command of written English is quite poor and this would likely be of interest to them.