Soloing for 65 Shaman?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Kealios, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Kealios New Member

Its been years since Ive played EQ. If I had to wager, its been since 2004? Anyway, I was excited to find that the game was still around, and even stranger, my characters all still exist!

Ive been perusing the Shaman forums over at http://crucible.samanna.net/ but havent found much on soloing.

I lead with a Slow, like Turgur's Insects, then hit with 2 dots...Bane of Nife and Breath of Ultor. I then root with Petrifying Earth and step back while my doggie hits the mob.

I have one more dot I add...Plague, a lower level (49) disease dot, and after that I rinse and repeat as necessary.

This doesnt seem very efficient or fast. I seem to get wailed on by blue-conning mobs, and therefore assume I really am doing something wrong. Do you have suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kealios
  2. Llayena New Member

First off get and max Virulent Paralysis AA. At your level Plane of Fire Tables mobs were great for VP dotting. Have a root up in case you get an add or VP breaks before refreshing. I don't know what the pet is being sent in for honestly, I never use one when soloing. Mem as many dots as your spell bar can handle, with malo and slow up and a heal, that do NOT have DD initial hits on them. Then just keep refreshing them until the mob dies. VP maxed should prevent you from taking any damage at all.
  3. Kealios New Member

Excellent tip! I found that AA and got two levels trained in it. Thanks for the heads up. As for the pet, it seems like another dot, personally, but if its attacks will break the VP, I can see why you wouldnt (except keeping it on passive might not be a bad thing, letting it taunt as needed to let you get away).

I'll try Plane of Fire tonight.
  4. Tordail Elder

First, pull with a disease debuff, such as Malicious Decay. When the mob is almost to you, hit Virulent Paralysis to knock it away and root it. Puppy taunt is not necessary. Apply slow if you like, but also remember to use the Malo line. Then load up your DoTs, as many as your spell bar can hold. A spell root or clicky root is good to have handy if VP breaks early, though it shouldn't be much of an issue if you're pulling with a disease debuff. Don't use puppy, as he is very naughty and will break root. Rinse, repeat.
  5. Llayena New Member

Play with your VP a bit as you get use to it too. It is directional based on which way you are facing when it lands. Maxed you can just use VP without casting any initial and just place it right where you want it. VP will fling the mob the exact direction you face!
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

if your level 64 you can also buy Bane most spells under 80 have been added to POK
    You want to make sure you have an extended range item and then do the following:

1) Pull with Malicious decay
    2) Hit Virulent Paralysis
    3) Load up your dots (Use anything that doesn't have a direct damage component).
    4) Refresh dots as they expire.
    5) At the 2 minute mark VP refreshes so you have 6 seconds to re-apply the root to the mob before it breaks.
    6) Repeat the dot steps until the mob dies.

Get the AA- that affect Root VP
    AA- spells that effect Dots
    AA- add spell slots for more DOTs - Mnemonic Retention

Their is a click root pants you can make -Scaled Avatar's Leggings can find the drops in the baz some times.

have fun
  7. Tzorg New Member

Been a long time away as well, my shaman is 80 but has only ~150 AA.

Will the above soloing work for me as well? Clearly not in PoF.
    Is this soloing tactic better then using a Merc?
  8. Feel New Member

Spent a lot of time in split paw when i was high 60's low 70's...just in entrance you can root and rot...not a lot of room to move around when the mob breaks but makes it interesting...easy singles and high lvl mobs so good exp if you are just on your own...that was all pre mercs.Never had vp then either.
  9. Potionless Elder

I think this is better than a merc.

If it can be rooted and doesn't summon, you can kill it. The only exception I've found is if they are casters and cast spells that have a recourse (lifetaps? wizard nukes with the recourses?) Those will break VP. You can still kill those if you stay out of their range. I guess belly casters would be out too but those are probably all raid mobs.

Check out the necro forums. Generally, wherever they can solo, shaman can root rot.
  10. Sylence New Member

At 80, try the boars in Tosk.