So, why did they consolidate body types?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, May 3, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I support the body type change if it improves game performance (checks mentioned above) and/or allows for streamlined design for higher quality or more quantity in content.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Pretty sure they're just eliminating T1-T4 or at least T2-T4, since they simply aren't used.
    Hobitses likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id guess that every time there is a level increase they need to tune 40 different mercs (4 class x 2 type x 5 tier). And this isnt an overhaul, its just dropping the ones that no one uses anyway.
    edit: oh and also they currently need to tune those 40 different mercs for each of 5 new levels. No wonder they never work right.
    Hobitses and Kaenneth like this.
  4. Herf Augur

5. Riou EQResource

I believe they do the Master tier ones too, at least all the strings and that are still done for them :)
  6. Paladin Augur

Now if this to finally add Master Mercs to the game.....
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

NPCs have both a body type and a race.
    A body type would be like "Humanoid" or "Animal" or "Plant."
    A race would be like: "Human, Dwarf, Bear, Wolf, Treant."

The best way to think about it is Body Type is like an overarching category with Race being a more specific subcategory.

So an NPC like Lord Inquisitor Seru should most likely have a Body Type "Humanoid" and a Race of "Human."
    Yelloweyes should probably have a Body Type of "Animal" and a Race of "Owlbear".

My understanding is that sometimes over the years these have been conflated / misused and the changes were made to bring these more into alignment. E.g. a "Vampire" makes more sense as a Race than a Body Type, but previously it was a Body Type. So now "Vampire" is a Race that utilizes the Body Type of "Undead." Undead is the overarching category with "Vampire" being a subcategory of undead along with others like Zombies, Mummies, Skeletons, etc. which are distinct from Vampires but definitely also undead.

"Banes" can be against Body Type or against Race. I believe the first ones were against Body Types but were then made to work on Races for more granular control.
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. uberkingkong Augur

They did body types wrong or they need to further work on it. So DPS is done properly.

What I mean is fighting a clay golem, they should have thick metalic body type.
    What that means is rogues do next to nothing damage to them, but wizards they do crazy insane damage when its a fire spell.

What I mean is fighting a wurm/dragon, they should have a certain extra body type.
    What I mean is rogues do normal damage, wizards do normal damage, berserkers aka 2 hander fighters, they do extra insane damage. Wurms/Dragons have huge HP pool as well.

What I mean is fighting a heavy armored humanoid, thick body humanoid. Thats the extra body type.
    Rogues do insane damage. Rangers range attacks do next to nothing. Wizards fire spells do normal damage. 2 handers do normal damage.

That's where EQ is doing it wrong with body types. All they take into consideration is triggering the AA, its more than that.

Game that does Types right is Pokemon. Few other games more DnD RPG do this right too.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This makes no sense at all, why would something that is made of clay have the durability of something made out of metal? Besides why would you want to get so detailed in how damage is dealt that you have to tune at this level? It would make creating new content much more time consuming to ensure that some classes are not completely useless.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

They would be an elemental.

Rogue backstabbing, doing dps on elemental, should be fairly low.
    While a wizard/mage caster role, they should be melting elementals down.
    So in situations like this, physical dps SHOULD be garbage compared to caster DPS. Poisons shouldn't even land on elementals. You can't poison a rock in real life.
    Pokemon, posion vs steel. Normal vs Steel
    Poison is not very effective, Steel cannot be poisoned. physical/normal is not very effective.

It would not
    They already have body types implemented.
    Thats the point of fighting certain mobs, you shouldn't be effective at killing everything. It defeats the purpose of realism.

The whole point of why they put in body types. So you aren't effective at killing everything.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And elementals have different body types, not all elemental types are going to have a "steel" body and if you want to go that route you would need a different type for every elemental type. That starts to become very complicated and not worth the extra work.

You also need to stop comparing this to real life as this is fantasy and most of the stuff we do here can't be done in real life.

Yes they already have body types implemented but that doesn't mean we need to nerf peoples DPS based on the mob type. In a previous expansion we had a raid that only had golem mobs, should a guild that is doing that raid sit all the melee and only let casters join? Or if a raid only had mobs that casters are weak against should the guild sit all the casters? There are raids and zones where every mob is a dragon, wyvern or worm of some type and that would make casters useless in those zones.

The goal of body types is to add some flavor to the game not determine if someone would be useless or not in a group/raid.