So in conclusion...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sethiroth, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Sethiroth Augur

DBG have somehow created an “ultra casual” server, that is perfect for tha hardcore crowd who love to race through content yet will leave actual casual players miiiiiles behind the curve, while at the same Time creating a hardcore server that no one will play due to torturous slow levelling and long unlocks.

It’s actually impressive that a group of people can sit down and mutually come to such a bad decision. /golf clap.

If you want to make both servers viable, there’s an easy fix. Make the exp rates, loot drops, and instance lockouts on mangler the same as on selos, and swap the lockout timers.

You’re never gonna please everyone, but by doing this, you’ll at least please some people.
  2. northstar Augur

All Content Subscription based server "Casually Hardcore" everyone gets a fresh start.... no one gets left out. boxing or otherwise..
  3. Emrok New Member

in conclusion.. your never going to please everybody...

your right... I'm pissed u keep items on death.... Casual scum.
  4. Nimblering New Member

Corpse runs was something I felt sure would be on hardcore...
  5. northstar Augur

its about as much fun as getting a lightning bolt soon as you hit cap and the server rolls you back to lvl 5 with all your unusable gear..... and you have to level again to cap. That would be Hard Core!
  6. ch0rny Elder

So make the "hardcore" server easier and more convenient?

I'm actually pretty ok with Mangler. I actually was hoping for an even more Classic ruleset with things like corpse runs and such. Even a Zek style would have been great. For some people, hardcore means more than just raid races and uber loot, and involves a more challenging/punishing game environment. EQ was brutal back in the day when a bad run of luck could have you die 5 times in a session and lose an entire level. On Mangler, people are going to have to put in more time, and choose their friends and leveling partners more carefully. Cleric rezzes and maybe even Necro summons will be sought out even more, so things will be more social that way.

Every single progression server to date has had mad competition with guilds rushing through, so making special rules to accommodate that isn't really anything new. This is just a different type of hardcore.
  7. Whallowisp Journeyman

I am pro corpse runs for hardcore and on a 20 years anniversary server its only appropriate. CR was one of the things that made the community back then. Dependence on fellow players and/or guild is among the things that made EQ great.
    ch0rny likes this.
  8. northstar Augur

I can almost Guarantee they wont do it. from experience with corpse runs.. the moment a raid team Wipes in Kael or VT and the entire team needs to petition to get all there corpses summoned from /rot is the day they hire GM's to facilitate it... wont happen. and if it does Woah!
  9. Sethiroth Augur

You’re right, but I’m thinking more from a “make the server successful, or at least viable” point of view. And I would bet money that a server with faster exp and free flowing loot on a quick unlock schedule, would draw in and retain more people, than a torturous slow Grindy server. Even if there are a small subsection of people who like that aspect.
    ch0rny likes this.
  10. ch0rny Elder

I do see a lot of negativity towards the server, but I hope there's a non-vocal minority who will play there. I'm going to. I think its definitely a niche server, a bit like an official P99 with some QoL updates. Maybe a few folks who are tired of P99 toxicity will move over.
  11. northstar Augur

^ This is what I am thinking too. I haven't played on P99 in a very long time nor will I go back. BUT lots of people play there for these reasons of the true difficulty of leveling etc... I wouldn't rule out Mangler being totally dead.
    ch0rny likes this.
  12. Nimblering New Member

I hope the Origin AA won't be on hardcore (and CR;)).
    ch0rny likes this.
  13. Weebles Augur

I'm actually excited to play on Selo's. I get to actually level up on a progression server in Kaesora, Crystal Caverns, and Paludal Caverns, and won't get bored doing Temple of Veeshan 12 times while waiting for AA's. I think it is a great ruleset.
  14. ForumBoss Augur

I like the leveling in new zones aspect, but I'm guessing that most guilds will raid twice as much as previous servers due to the lockouts, which would be 20 to 40 hours per week. So you will still do ToV 8 or 9 times, just every few days (or have much less chance at loot than previous servers).
  15. Weebles Augur

Maybe one guild per server raids 40 hours per week. 90% of guilds are like 3 hours on two weekdays and a 4 hour raid on Sunday or something. This server won't change that. Guilds will still have similar raid schedules, they'll just focus more on the content with the best gear since they can do it twice as much.