So I have been lured back...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by PetMyLlama, Oct 21, 2012.

1. PetMyLlama Journeyman

I last played just after Gates of Discord was released so I am "rusty" to say the least. I am only just now downloading the client, so I am not even in the game yet. I have a Cleric who was at level cap when I left but I am sure she is way behind the curve as far as gear goes. How is the solo game for clerics these days? I am not so sure I would be as good at it as I once was so I am not thinking raiding is in my future.

I'm not so sure I have the patience to re-learn a cleric at that level. I would feel very inept at anyone who had the misfortune of grouping with me would probably wonder if I was above the age of 4. Are there any "catch up your cleric" guides anywhere?

I should probably really think about a new class at level 1. What is a good casual friendly class for a returning newbie? I have a station pass, so I am not restricted.
  2. Riou EQResource

If you do want to re-roll pick any class you think sounds interesting, with mercenaries they all can level really easy to like 60s (with gold), grab a merc it will help a lot

If you want to return to your old cleric you will also be ok with a merc to continue it
  3. Cloudia Augur

I'd play a brand new toon of whatever class for a while first just to get your head back in the game and an idea of how things have changed. Running thru the tutorial will give you the basics of current game and let you try stuff.
  4. Lenowill Augur

As already noted, soloing with you cleric will work fine if you get a Tank Mercenary to help you along.

Also as already noted, poking around the tutorial with a new character would be a good idea in any case. The rework of the tutorial is surprisingly effective at describing the various systems of the game, including augmentations and the way the spiffy new hotbars function.

Finally, if you want to roll a new character or characters, these are my recommendations:

Monk - to have fun with in the tutorial, beating up stuff without too much complication and get yourself back on your feet regarding the game.

Magician - to level up long term as a strong soloing/small-group character for higher levels.
    PetMyLlama likes this.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

Clerics have a lot of solo abilities added since you last played. Viral damage shields that spread from mob to mob; procs that heal your group; procs that damage mobs when you are hit. This of the DS and weapon procs that you had back then, and multiply then up in effectiveness.

To be an effective cleric soloer, you need to make sure that you have the right AAs for it, which aren't the same as the good old group healer ones, so it may take a little while getting yourself properly prepared. In the mean time, a tank merc will fill the gap for you, although slower than pure soloing would be.
    PetMyLlama likes this.
  6. PetMyLlama Journeyman

Thanks folks! I logged into my cleric which is now on Xegony and was immediately overwhelmed by all the spells and abilities I would have to re-learn. I think the learning curve to get back up to speed as an independent cleric would be a bit rough at of the box. I did have fun clicking all my old clickies though and conjuring up some yummy black bread hehe Currently I am running around on a Magician learning the tutorial. Seems pretty easy with my fire pet and a merc.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Here's a few links that should help you for your cleric. Apologies for not responding before, but I was at SoE Live and just got home late last night.

HERE is the main external Cleric site. It's primarily used for the Guides that are on it (over 80 were posted with the free to play launch specifically for new/returning players). Some examples:

And then even if you don't decide to jump back on your cleric, I would recommend you check out THIS website once you're high enough to purchase AA. www.eqaasearch.org currently has 14/16 classes in it (missing necro/zerker which will be added in the next couple of weeks) but lists all the key information including detailed descriptions that players have figured out about each rank of each AA for each class.
    PetMyLlama likes this.
  8. Abazzagorath Augur

Welcome back. A lot of good info here, enjoy the game for what it is and don't obsess about hitting end game and you'll love it.
    PetMyLlama likes this.
  9. PetMyLlama Journeyman

@Crystilla - Whoa - awesome detail! A lot of study I am sure hehe I do miss my cleric and will take a look at all this detail you have amassed right here. Right now I am re-learning HOW to play the game. Something as simple as the difference between Tab to target and f8 took a bit to get used to. Today I discovered that there is a tutorial after the tutorial if you hit up PoK... so much has changed.

The links everyone has posted so far has been a great help!

And with the Cleric University academic program listed out by Crystilla, I have no doubt I will be back waving my water sprinkler in no time!