Sk.. Wasting my time????

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Hlb01776, Nov 12, 2013.

1. GuardSoroko Journeyman

So the SK is kinda meh in Eq1? I know im lvl 23 atm and damage output is only a tiny bit better then a paladin. 11dmg dot and still disease cloud? really? I got rid of my lvl 1 disease spike....everything else is a debuff which I suppose helps to kill quicker with Auto Attack.

And then again, maybe im to used to Eq2's super god mode everyone playstyle.
  2. Mithrandyr Augur

SKs are awesome. I couldn't imagine playing another tank class. You won't ever mistake them for a dps class but as far as tanks go, they are the best. The utility is amazing; lev, invis, fast horse, feign death, snare. Aggro is great with snare, harm touch, terror spells. Lifetaps make survivability great, especially a big instant cast AA lifetap. For what it's worth, all classes have horrible dps at 23, except maybe necro and wizard. The game changes at 61 and again significantly at 71.
  3. GuardSoroko Journeyman

DPS is aight I guess. I do kill relatively quickly. Maybe the pace of Eq hasnt fully set in yet.

The Pet is a nice addition to the damage, get him behind the mob and let it wack for 16 a pop...like my best perma dot.

Oh and Vampiric Embrace...why does it say 7:30 but when I cast it I get 3m?
  4. Brudal Augur

5. Lenowill Augur

SKs start to get very strong at level 70+ but feel considerably less amazing at soloing prior to that. At level 23 you don't yet have most of the tools that make them work so well (e.g. Feign Death, most of your lines of DoTs, self Damage Shields, Hate's Attraction, etc.) and the tools that you do have are on the wimpy side.
  6. BoomWalker Augur

As others have said....play what you like...but an SK can and will be better than the tank merc...eventually. Gear is key for a tank class...and you will want to get the augs, armor, etc. to make it viable. This is looked upon by some as a 'problem' but it also is a reason to play the game by exploring and camping named spawns, etc. instead of sitting on a hill somewhere and killing the same mobs over and over for weeks to grind exp and AA with nothing to look forward to...

Be warned...SKs have a LOT of AA to make them better...a LOT.

But...if you have a monk and 2 mercs...in your group makeup...you will eventually want a 'real' tank to deal with named you will kill...and the SK is fine for that...since tank mercs will eventually just not seem to cut it very well without a dedicated (real toon) healer to keep them alive...

As for catching up...a lower level toon will catchup if you have help...and the AA go quickly up to 4000 with the bonus...so it will be a slog but not that bad in the long run...perhaps getting to the level where you can group and get experience with the monk is key even if you are not tanking yet...at least the AA will come quickly and you can start the gear gathering...
  7. Zakor Elder

I am biased, but I would tell you to play a necromancer. You can do great things in a group to help them, you can solo fantastically. You can pull if you have to. Look into necromancer a bit.
  8. GuardSoroko Journeyman

Well im lvl31 now, taking on the HIll Giants alot better then my Paladin. I am not wearing the next set of defiant, so my AC sucks, but the shiny new 100point life tap, Heat blood, the series of debuffs, makes it alot easier then my Paladin.

I am stuck wondering what do I drop off my bar when I get new spells? I still have Despair and Siphon Strength. I am thinking the next spell I drop off will be Despair. I get Scream of hate that does the same thing.

My bar currently has

Heat blood, Engulfing Darkness, Siphon Str, Scream of hate, Scream of I dont know, Despair, Vampiric Embrace and my 105pt life tap.

I do have FD but idk what I really wanna drop off to put it on.

Also, does Despair not stack with Scream of Hate when I put it on the mob?

Should I perhaps make my own SK thread?
  9. Mithrandyr Augur

Yes.
  10. Zantor Augur

Best class for you is the one you enjoy playing the most, every class has its benefits and drawbacks.