SK sustained defensive abilities

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Utumno, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Utumno New Member

Fellow Norathians,

My SHD is level 100 with 10700aa, I am in a mixed of group and raid gear (on FV so it is purchased not earned). I would like to know what kind of social macro I should set up for those SHTF moments.

I would preferably like to be able to spread the defense out for around 2 minutes if possible because I run SHD/BRD/BST caster/caster/clr merc so my DPS is lower than a real group.

Lastly if the BST or BRD have any abilities that really up the survivability of the group as well that would be nice to know so I can click those abilities as well.

Thank you for your help,
    Utumno

P.S. If you are wondering how I can have so many aa without knowing anything about my defensive abilities its just a lot of farming in easy hot zones that require no defensive clicks on any character ever.
  2. Wuddane Elder

Hello Utumno

There are three defensive abilities you can rotate through

97 Unholy Guardian, 2 min duration 36% mitigation

98 Grelleths Carapace, 2 min duration 20% mitigation

98 Bonebrood Mantle, 1 min duration 35% mitigation

These abilities are also capped by damage absorption, which I didn't include. There are also some other effects on them you can research. You also have shadowknight third spire (self only) and bard first spire (group) that will help mitigate damage.

Fierce eye on your bard will help as well, it has a swift reuse and does :
    Slot Description
    2: Critical DoT (10%)
    3: Critical HP Regen (10)
    4: Critical Heal (10%)
    5: Increase Spell Critical Direct Damage Chance by 10%
    6: Increase Chance to Critical Cast by 10%
    8: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 10%
    9: Increase Proc Modifier by 300%
    11: Increase Critical Damage by 10% with All Skills

I don't have any macro's I use for those uh oh moments, just my ability hotkeys and reacting quickly.
    Remember you can use epic + visage as basically another disc, just be aware this won't stack with unholy guardian.
  3. Brohg Augur

The cooldowns on those are worth describing.

Epic 1min duration, 5 min cooldown
    Leeching Embrace (CoA BP) 30s / 5 min
    Vampiric Aura (DeadHills click) 3min / 10 min
    VoD 1min / 12 min
    Grelleth's Carapace 2min / 7.5min
    Unholy Guardian 2min / 12min
    Bonebrood Mantle 1min / 15min

Just like damage things, the earlier you use them, the more you get to use them. Bonebrood you maybe save, but the rest you throw on out there in regular rotation. Besides the "using all your all the time is what defines good players" thing, if you just always have some boost going, then there are less crises to react to :)
  4. Ravengloome Augur

All of those are extended by spell casting reinforcement except Guardian.
    Burstaf likes this.
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Maybe have two hot keys with something like Carapace, Lifetap, Lifetap, Lifetap, Lifetap for single target oh moments and then a second hotkey with Visage, Mantle, AoE Threat, AoE Threat, AoE Threat for the oh moment when you have a bunch of adds?
  6. Brohg Augur

No.

Okay, um, not communicating. Grelleth's Carapace should, basically always, be either already operating, or on cooldown. Ditto epic, ditto CoA BP, ditto Coating, ditto VoD (which does nothing interesting defensive-wise coupled to Mantle, little wut? there), ditto Unholy Guardian.

Deflection is the actual crisis tool and maybe Bonebrood you hold back.

Chaining all the other abilities are a big part of how good your tank is at tanking overall. Like even basic lifetapping is. You don't hold lifetaps for when you're about to die, you cast them all the time so you get in that situation less. Same with discs & clicks. If you're not already using all of them 2-4 times each every 20 minutes, you're just being weaker than you should be. By a lot.
  7. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Meh. If you're boxing and don't have a chanter for easy crowd control I would much rather prevent a wipe when you get 3 adds out of nowhere than to have less damage taken on a bunch of trash mobs that come one by one. Maybe it's just because I'm not doing top of the line 105 content and maybe you need to use abilities every single trash pull or its a wipe at that level, I don't know for sure.