SK solo question

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Medicus, May 22, 2015.

1. Medicus New Member

Progression (ragefire) server question:

Finding a group can be slow at times; its always nice to be able to solo a bit.

With that said- using snare/fear/melee attack/etc - can blue/white con mobs be taken out easily throughout the 1-50 leveling process (factoring in the expected crappy gear leveling from scratch on a new server)?

Are the mana pool and casting 'fizzle' rate too limited for this tactic to be effective?
    Is snare/fear a poor tactic with the high potential for picking up aggro with adds?

Played a shaman back in the day, and soloing during group down time was easy, effective and safe (but fairly boring) with root/rot. Was looking for something a bit different this time around.
  2. sifonin Augur

If you want to solo, roll a necro or mage.

Employing the tactics you mentioned with a necro would be completely feasible on rage fire, plus once you eventually do get to 50, you will have the most powerful mana regen spell from classic (Lich, think its a lvl 49 spell).

Just my 2 cents.
  3. sojero One hit wonder

I leveled up solo or with a pally partner until 45+ with an sk this way with groups here and there. It is completely feasible and probably way easier now than when I did it. Much easier to reach resources and knowledge now.
  4. complexication Kassina

Any class can solo efficiently if you're willing to put the time and effort into the toon.

That being said, yes. To an extent. Use your dots/lifetaps (or a healer merc, whatever) and utlize your pet, and you should be able to breeze through anything really. I also suggest starting working on hotzone kill tasks when you can start getting them at level 16.
  5. Lianeb Augur

Ragefire has almost none of this.
  6. Aaramis Augur

Couple of quick comments:

1 - if the OP wanted to roll a Necro, he probably would have rolled a Necro. His question was whether or not an *SK* could solo effectively.
    OP - yes, but you'll probably be stuck with blues / light blues. Whites or higher might end up requiring a bit of luck and/or a *lot* of fear-kiting, but it can be done. But it's generally more efficient to chain kill low blues. And remember, utilize your lifetaps on grey/green cons to minimize downtime by quickly healing up.

2 - not every class can solo efficiently, despite the statement above. Warriors and Rogues cannot. *Especially* back in classic EQ without mercs, efficient potions, or heck, even a nice ratio weapon.

On the plus side, SKs aren't bad. And you do have a few things in your favour on the progression server. DoTs will be slightly beefed up; pets are stronger; and a few out-of-era items are available (blackened alloy longsword and broadsword being the prime examples).
  7. Brohg Augur

Hey now, I recall totally soloing light blues / greens on warrior in kunark/velious! ... then spent five minutes or so chain clicking Cobalt BP to fill up hp and do another one. "Efficiency" would approximately double just thanks to OOC regen :(
  8. Zarzac Augur

I remember fear kiting.

It wasn't easy and the xp was HORRID, but it was kinda fun.

The words " easy, effective and safe" never came into my mind during the process.