SK or Paladin for the following raid tank group situation

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Baradorn, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Baradorn Lorekeeper

In tank group in raid with 3 tanks, 2 of them being Warriors, in the case of this group being assigned to tank the raid boss with the 2 warriors in the Boss TL, which knight will help the most the warriors MT regarding mitigation ?

From what I know,

SK brings epic up for 2 minutes every 5 minutes

Paladin brings Group Armor of the Inquisitor / Blessed Aura.

There are probably other things to take into account

Which choice would be better ? How you would justify this choice ?

Thanks.
  2. Krazzi Elder

In a raid, which knight helps mitigate more damage? Well no point to ever have an SK in a raid imo, they dont help mitigate anything, cant buff, cant cant cure, and like you said sk epic helps heal 2 out of 5 minutes. Paladin can heal the whole time, buff, rez, splash, proc slays for over 2million on undead, and tank instead of your warrior. At this point, specially with the huge bump to paladin agro, you'd be better off with 3 paladins and skip the warrior.
  3. Maedhros High King

This aged well.

Also, your post in this thread was hilarious. I grant you no points and may Innoruuk have mercy on your soul.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

observing that the paladin class is intrinsically powerful, and

observing that paladin players tend to exaggerating their weakness

are not mutually exclusive.
    Xeladom, Metanis and code-zero like this.
  5. Cadira Augur

I always thought warriors and paladins paired better for the reasons you mentioned.

Sk's seem to excel with other sk's where they can rotate their epics and combine their inherently better dps to self heal more and rely on clerics less.

Between all the spare healers and their group's clerics supporting a good warrior, I doubt the warrior having an sk epic or two will really notice a difference in survivability where as a paladin to back them up and give them their aura will help a bit. I'd just hate to be that particular paladin! "Sure let me spend my life being a squire to this all-powerful warrior and pretend I'm a healer in this group!"
  6. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Just throw TWO knights in there (a SK and a pally) with two clerics and the two warriors.... boom. You have all the bennies!
    Ozon and Maedhros like this.
  7. Warpeace Augur

Solid MT group here.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  8. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

There is absolutely no need for a Paladin to be in the same group to "heal the whole time, buff, rez, splash, proc slays for over 2million on undead, and tank instead of your warrior". As far as the bump to Paladin aggro, what does it matter to an SK or Warrior if it's going to be easier for a Paladin to hold aggro? For years, we've heard it doesn't matter as long as you can stay ahead of the DPS classes on aggro. So seriously, why do you even care when nothing at all happened to reduce what you can do regarding aggro in relation to DPS classes but Paladins AE aggro abilities were bumped?

For the OP, I think Group Armor of the Inquisitor is probably better in a main tank group than the Lich Sting effect from the SK epic, but how much overhealing is there and how much do you value that bump in healing? With GAoTI, you're looking at a bump of 65% to direct heals and 165pts of AC for roughly 4.5mins out of every 20mins vs what was already mentioned via the SK epic (2 out of every 5 mins or 8 out of every 20 mins if comparing it over the same timeframe as GAoTI). All of the overhealing going towards the MT in a raid probably makes the 5% bump to heals from the Paladin aura inconsequential in deciding whether you "need" a Paladin vs. SK in the MT group. I would focus on getting your best players in the roles that need them most before worrying about which is the better class. In this situation, I would lean towards a Paladin though instead of an SK.

Cadira is correct though, it does suck at times to be viewed as the back up tank in both the MT groups where Warriors are preferred as well as in the add groups where SKs are preferred for their better aggro tools. I still believe that once you have enough Paladins rostered to cover any splash curing needs in a raid, you're better off replacing the "extra" Paladins with some combination of Clerics, SKs and Warriors.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

If we're adding our thoughts here. I always thought Paladins and Clerics can't coexist in the same game. There's too much overlap and you can't expand their abilities without infringing on the other.
    Xeladom, Szilent and Cadira like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

EQ would be better if tomorrow they deleted wizards/clerics/berserkers and gave any account with a high level one a free max level char with CoV raid gear and whatever chase gear / flags / achievements they already had as a replacement. And a webpage redirect to allakhazam's entry for epic quest.

Warriors can stay because I play one.
    Skrab likes this.
  11. jhaimes Lorekeeper

Hey Tucoh....I think I read you were thinking of adding a Pally to your group? What is your view on the Pally these days as a whole? I know the darling of EQ tanks has been SK forever now so I was curious on your take of the Pally
  12. Tucoh Augur

The paladin is doing great.

Before i was switching between a cleric and berserker in that account. The paladin is basically being used as a compromise between the two. He provides reliable DPS and healing, with impressive sustained burns on undead. Group armor of the inquisitor is unmatched in group healing buffs, and the paladins near instant heals are in some ways superior to my cleric / shamans big heal spells. He's just about got the AAs and gear to offtank but I haven't bothered to get him set up to do it. Im sure there will be some mickey mouse club house achievement in ToL that forces me to have him offtank.

Blessing of the faithful is both a uhh, blessing and a curse. I have a strategy to keep it up by having everyone but the paladin switch targets before a mob dies, but after twenty years of DPG promoting grouping I'm surprised BotF exists. I have to imagine it's super frustrating for paladins who have a gona trigger set up when they get a killshot on a mob to see it not proc for multiple mobs in a row. Would love to see DPG delete all the killshot proc AAs and put a neutered version onto yaulp or something to compensate.
    Loviticus likes this.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

There was a time we were fielding 8 bards a raid back when we were doing AoW regularly. I would often request one of those bards be placed in the MT group to play AC and mitigation songs. Alas, those heady days are over now! /sadface

Regarding the OP's post, Pally's die way too easily to be in an MT group. Your healers don't deserve that.
  14. Livvy_CT Elder

That’s interesting comment, I hear the opposite, that paladins are easier to heal, guess depends on the healer/ paladin.
  15. Parmalice Journeyman

I grouped with another SK when ToL shipped and we did the entire progression and missions together, dinging 120 at the same time that first Saturday morning. I did accelerate quite a few Overseer quests in that time as well to close the gap left by the progression achievements falling short of actually hitting 120. Two SKs are simply awesome if they can work well together. If either or both is a prima donna and needs the spotlight on him at all times it probably won't work out that well.

Most of the 50+ ToL missions I've done so far I also did with this same SK. I think that setup is ideal for pretty much every one of the missions in this expack. It's outrageously good.

Paladins in our guild will end up in the MT group for all of these reasons, and the SKs don't give a crap. We're manning the off-tank lines dealing with the adds, which in our guild seems to be a nearly entirely SK responsibility. Since most raids feature lots of adds that hit hard and will easily wipe a raid force if not managed, the SKs play an important and satisfying role that is very well suited to our capabilities.
    Ozon likes this.