SK Mindless Removal

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Sashnia, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Sashnia Elder

We have had a few adjustments lately in the downward direction in my opinion, but I would love to understand why this was removed.

It was a short reuse fixate ability with a good range which I used frequently as a "get over here.." ability while I was tanking other stuff, it was extremely useful to me and my play style. I mean do they expect us to use some other aggro ability to fill the gap, if so I cant quite see which.

• Mindless Hatred - Range Aggro Fixate (not a taunt), (30s cooldown?) - Now Removed.
    • Ageless Enmity - Range Aggro Taunt (3min cooldown)
    • Hates Attraction - Range Aggro (fixed hate amount), (45s cooldown) You could argue this is the replacement whereby you then pull it to you and use normal taunt, but HA has problems in tight areas where the mob will hit terrain/geometry.
    • Unyielding Acrimony - Melee Range Taunt (5min cooldown with max hastened AA)
    Do we have a class rep that can perhaps explain this one? We have just lost a SK tool for no gain?
  2. p2aa Augur

They just wanted to remove some hate lock abilities.
    They did the same with the warrior one by removing the hate lock component, making the ability nearly completly useless.
  3. Maedhros High King

I'd just like to point out that Paladins never had any version of Mindless Hatred, and any time we brought it up we were told to bugger off and use our plentiful (laughs) other agro abilities.
    Welcome to a closer concept of parity.
  4. Brohg Augur

I'd just like to point out that you're leaning pretty hard on forum rules to protect you from appropriate responses here, Maedhros.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

What about the guy’s post had anything to do with Paladins? Or were you simply looking for an excuse to gloat over another class losing something that yours happened to not have?

While we’re on the subject, what will be the next ability targeted in the Make Paladins FQ campaign? My money is on Reaver’s Bargain. It’s disgustingly strong, isn’t it? And I’d just like to point out that Paladins have never had any version of it.
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

The clear answer is the Skin line (Tylix, Vizat's, etc), which provides a PDH-like ability to a class that really does not need it. This ability goes a long way towards trivializing group content. It fits for Warriors because they don't have the self-healing that an SK does. Having what is essentially an (almost) 100% uptime PDH makes tanking large piles of mobs a breeze.*

Tylix's Skin Effect III

Not a player spell: Clicky, NPC spell, Proc, etc.

Slot 6: Absorb Melee Damage: 100%, Max Per Hit: 7117

Pain Doesn't Hurt Effect III

Not a player spell: Clicky, NPC spell, Proc, etc.

Slot 6: Absorb Melee Damage: 100%, Max Per Hit: 4708, Total: 2071500
    Slot 8: Absorb Spell Damage: 100%, Max Per Hit: 4708, Total: 2071500

*I am not a Paladin main. I don't actually care that SK's have this and Paladins don't. Do not take this as a "Paladin opinion" and instead take it as a "Person who plays Everquest" opinion. This ability has a minimal impact on raids and is largely used to trivialize tanking in group content. Please feel free to use my post as hate-fuel to facilitate constructive discussion. Make tanking group content ?

This forum has rules?
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Nah. SK Skin line is their counterpart to Pal's Ward of Tunare (now Preservation) line that made tank swarming a thing at level 70 oh so many years ago. I believe the Warrior equivalence you're looking for here is Brace for Impact, not PDH, based on spell mechanics.

I also believe that SK and Warriors get powerful SPA 451 abilities exclusively because paladin healing is in the balance.
  8. Maedhros High King

I am currently pretty happy about the Tank class balance after Mindless and Warlords grasp died, paladins no longer suffer from a massive lack in that area. Thought Leech nerf puts it into a much more agreeable situation, even though its still the biggest single mana return ability in the game I accept it. I would prefer to see Valiant Defense boosted to heal significantly more since the SK version is AE and all that, but I can live with it. Most of the idea's in the paladin future needs thread are pretty freakin out there, and I have attempted to reign the other paladins in quite a bit and focus on serious needs instead of silly frivolous stuff. You guys might want to re-read my posts there if you're unsure of my motives ;)
  9. Drogba Augur

They decreased the re-use timer on unyielding acrimony as compensation. I doubt any sk see that as adequate compensation, It's a straight up nerf.

a terror/spear cast combined with hates attraction/explosion of hatred should be pretty good still to pickup a fresh spawn, though obviously less powerful than mindless hatred.
    Maedhros likes this.
  10. gotwar Gotcharms

Hmm, no, I definitely meant the Skin line. I copy/pasted the effects in my post. They literally do the exact same thing on the same SPA; the difference being that Skin is a defensive proc with charges whereas PDH runs until it has absorbed a certain number of hits or damage.

Preservation is nothing like the SK Skin line; they do completely different and unrelated things. Paladins don't have a counterpart for PDH or Skin.
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Isn’t the proc rate on skin pretty drastically different than PDH? Not sure you can accurately compare them like that yo.
  12. gotwar Gotcharms

I mean, it is, but when you're standing in front of 3+ mobs it's pretty much always firing. It also isn't really barred by a cooldown like PDH is, unless you're tanking an enormous pile. They're pretty comparable to each other from a mechanical standpoint, and from a design standpoint they bring the same thing to the table.

I wasn't trying to start a tank war or anything, though re-reading my post it probably seems that way. But I do think SKs getting a PDH-like ability probably makes balancing group content against tanks a pretty difficult exercise.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Well, we’ve had that line since Omens and No Time to Dickbleed was introduced in...CotF? The more direct comparison might be armor of runes line? But that line was mia for a long time before being revived later I want to say?

So it’s not so much us “getting” it as we’ve “had something similar for 30 levels longer”?

None of this really has anything to do with MH changes, though....
    gotwar likes this.
  14. Brohg Augur

You post multiple times right here in this thread this week for the explicit, exclusive purpose of celebrating nerfs to classes you don't play, and suggest we should do some sort of form dive to divine your motivations? How stupid must you think we all are?
  15. Maedhros High King

Celebrating nerfs is different than celebrating better balance. I suppose subtlety is not one of your strong points. You have made it a goal to respond to both of my posts on this thread that had nothing to do with you, nor the classes that you play outside of a very slight passing remark about Warlords grasp. So to answer your final question, I guess you might forum dive my old threads as you have already exhibited obsessive behavior towards my other posts.
  16. Brohg Augur

The hypocrisy is astounding, it really is.
  17. Drogba Augur

I don't see how these comments bear much relevance on what the original poster asked.
  18. Brohg Augur

There's not much to say about the OP. Shadowknights were nerfed, warriors were nerfed. That's not transactional, there's no negotiation going on.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  19. p2aa Augur

There is no class rep since a while too.