Simple Research with no Research skills

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Drewie, May 8, 2021.

1. Drewie Augur

As a level 68 rogue, I was able to get the Simple Ink for Crescent Reach tradeskill quest from Researcher Akila in Crescent Reach. She gave me 1 Simple Quill Cutting Tool and 20 Plain Flight Feathers, which I put in my Tome Binding Kit, but then I couldn't hit the Combine button, it was greyed.

As a matter of fact, I didn't have the Research skill yet. I had to go back to a Rogue guildmaster to put 1 point in it (which by the way took me to a 68 skill instantly, making the quest useless), then I could combine in the kit.

Not exactly a bug, but I feel that the Research tradeskill NPCs could tell you in the first place that you don't have the Research skill yet, instead of giving you the material and letting you wondering what's wrong, since this looks like a bug to the player. One can start doing combines at a 0 skill with other TS, but not with Research, you have to train it first.
  2. Rhyagelle New Member

Is this a very old character? IIRC, this should not be an issue with characters created after non-casters were given research, as you get one point in research when you hit the level at which you can use it. Characters who had achieved that level prior would have to train, and would get what you did, skill equal to their level. (I believe this used to be the case with all level locked skills, you had to train once before you could use them, and you would get your level in skill.)

Seems like it's not so much a bug, as a relic of an ancient character. ...Assuming I'm remembering all of this correctly.
    Rondor likes this.
  3. Drewie Augur

Well that particular character was created in 2004, I didn't know more recent characters would automatically get the Research skill at some point.