Should game developrs be rotated out of projects.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Umm, that happens all the time. New people are brought on to the Darkpaw EQ team with limited experience.

Strawberry's idea is interesting and worth considering but our glorious forum elites don't seem to like it which makes me naturally want to like it.

I agree with yiou, no studio should be hiring a developer that has no knowledge of the game they are applying to work on. If I am applying to work on EverQuest, I should have a thorough knowledge of EverQuest and be an avid player. That's a given, but unfortunately not the case in an industry that is currently fixated on hiring for virtue signaling reasons.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I disagree.The idea of term limits is refreshing. Unless your a distinguised superstar developer like John Romero, Peter Molyeneux, or Sid Meir, you should be broadening your horizons by making different games.

Working on the same thing for too long can be soul crushing. People need to be challenged to grow. It's not good for your brain or your imagination to be working on the same game or releasing the same expansions every year.
  3. jeskola pheerie

Did you really just invoke the name of John Romero in a serious manner?

Ask Beimeith... Apparently EQ would be dead without the mighty Absor.

All jokes aside, would you want your job "term-limited"? Devs are not elected officials serving taxpayers.

I can think of several TV, movie, and book franchises where most of the fanbase has the exact opposite viewpoint.
    Barton and Nennius like this.
  4. Brontus EQ Player Activist

First off, you are making a strawman argument. I never said developers are like elected officials.

I've made ample arguments to explain why developers need to work on different video games. Instead of cherrypicking my reply, go back, read them and add some observations that are useful.

Fanbases of TV and movies are very different than developers working for 16 years. Of course people would get upset if J.K. Rowling started hiring ghost writers to create more Harry Potter content. At least we know J.K. Rowling actively cares about the Potter legendarium because she is outspoken about her passion for the world she has created.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Maybe it doesn't work that way at tiny studio like Darkpaw but it's normal for game developers to rotate to new projects at other studios.

Regarding the question of working on an old engine, development of World of Warcraft started in 1999. Their engine has been updated a few times along the way. Why did SOE and Daybreak not update the EQ engine like Blizzard did with WoW? Asking for a friend.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That's what I, and others, have been saying since the beginning of this ridiculous thread. Ranting about virtue signaling hiring practices and straw man arguments. Likely because you either failed to read or ignored the discussion so you had an excuse to rant about it. Awesome! :confused:
    jeskola likes this.
  7. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Let me get this straight: when you post something, it's reasonable dicussion. When I say something somehow it's a rant. I think you should take your own advice and read the entire thread.

I'm not sure why you are worked up over this idea and why you are focusing your ire on me. I know this might be a shock to you but these are discussion forums. People discuss things. Some people disagree, some people agree. Deal with it.

By the way, nobody needs to worry. Given Darkpaw's track record of incorporating forum suggestions, it's highly doubtful that Darkpaw will bring in a term limit system. Big studios do this all the time, but to be a big studio, you have to think big, hire big talent, and then you can make big games. Feel free to draw obvious conclusions from this statement.

You conveniently ignored my point about the age of the Blizzard WoW engine compared to the age of the EQ engine.
  8. jeskola pheerie

I never said JK Rowling didn't care about Harry Potter,.you are making a strawman argument. I never said you didn't already post the merits of this system. See what I did there? Don't throw around "strawman" so much. Its an overused and misused word. I'm only interested in the "term limits" aspect of this discussion and you already said yourself it's for big studios, which is the opposite of Darkpaw. Also I googled it and show no evidence this happens intentionally at larger studios.
  9. Burdi Augur

I don’t know i don’t feel that our business tbh.
    Nennius and Sissruukk like this.
  10. Barton The Mischievous

Darkpaw has problems keeping the newer people they hire, I'm not sure trying to get rid of the people that have been there for years is a good idea.
    Nennius likes this.