Shield of Brilliance

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Valtam, May 29, 2018.

1. Valtam Journeyman

OK, yet another dumb question. I have never really bothered trying to use the AA Shield of Brilliance, but while I was farming giants for the oversized greatsword I thought I would give it a try. It says:
    Cast: Shield of Brilliance XI
    This ability, when activated, grants you a 100% chance to reflect incoming spells at their caster for 75% of the spell's base power for 18 seconds.
    Target: Self
    Duration: 12s (2 ticks)
    1: Increase Chance to Reflect Spell by 100% with up to 75% Damage

So I cast shield of brilliance, immediately cast a crush, the giant casts Boulder Throw, I take damage, and the giant takes none. This happened for over 25 giants with no change in results.
    So the question is, does a reflect mean that you still get whole spell effect, but also bounce it back to the caster, or that you're not supposed to get affected and bounce it back? Are some spells/casts/mobs immune from the reflect, and if so, is there any way to know without experimenting for each one/caster?
  2. Jaylin Augur

The spell has to be reflectable. Most spells are not reflectable in the game. Pretty much unless its a spell that players also cast to and the mob is just casting it, the chances of it being reflectable are pretty low.

[49974] Boulder Throw
    Target: Single
    Range: 50' to 720'
    Resist: Lowest -1000
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 76923
  3. Valtam Journeyman

Ah, OK. I'll just relegate it to the back of the useful list then. Thank you for the response.
  4. Maedhros High King

File it someplace just ahead of Act of Valor.
  5. shiftie Augur

Not everything in eq is useful 100% of the time, I always try things out and see what sticks. I just used this aa the other day on cool down against wizard mobs in old sebilis for extra Dps.

I never file anything in the useless pile. I do wish it had more usefulness but oh well. I remember when I used it on the anniversary raid and ripped the tofs mini a new arsehole that was lulzy
  6. josh Augur

There was a charm being cast in plane of health and you could get your very own charmed pet with it. was only like an 18 second charm but still fun. I think they removed it though

However, i do feel that people think that paladins have good spell tanking options because of our things that supposedly work against spells, when they don't. sanctification and shield of brilliance are both rarely useful, at the moment, warriors are far and away the best spell tanks in the game, and i think a lot of people aren't aware of this.

Except for a couple of rune abilities, knights have very little spell damage mitigation.

Warriors have mark of the mage hunter, dichotomic shield, pain doesn't hurt, the rune proc on their fort discs, not to mention an absurd amount of hit points.
  7. Vaeeldar Augur

I wouldn't cut out SK there between the epic and a few other items. I find my sk holds up quite a bit better overall then the pal box team unfortunately.

I wouldn't argue isn't the best but I don't think the SK is far behind.
  8. Denial_Sinfae Augur

That's not "spell mitigation".
  9. p8aa Elder

Paladins have some very powerful self healing ability to compensate for having less spell mitigation damage. I lol at the "absurd amount of HP". Being able to refill an HP bar at will is more powerful in most cases than having 15 k more HP.
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That seems a little disingenuous to me. Their truly meaningful hp advantages are mostly tied to short duration abilities with pretty long reuses, no? Obviously not a warrior, but them having a brief advantage in that arena doesn’t really seem all that absurd.

Is that you, old friend? ^ . ^
  11. Warpeace Augur

I guess someone had to make a new account to keep trying to instigate things? I'm just assuming that because there are some very similar sentence structure like "I lol at"

Oh well...

Having a larger HP pool to start helps.
    Having the ability to self refill the HP pool helps.

Feels more like Paladin Shield of Brilliance was half heartedly thought out. Daybreak wants to give you spell mitigation but when pushed live it has such limited use because almost everything is flagged non reflectable.

Having shield of brilliance be more useful would be appreciated.
  12. Brohg Augur

Spell reflection was hot stuff when the ability was introduced. Lots more NPCs used reflectable (pc) spells. The scrykin familiar, for instance, which is a suuuper version of Shield of Brilliance (but with full uptime), used to get a ton of mileage in PoFear. LDoN NPCs used PC spells, too, so things like reflection and cast time slowing (throat punch) and omg-stuns were hot stuff in that era, too
  13. josh Augur

Perhaps saying it was absurd was a bad choice of words. I don't think the abilities are overpowered, but with warlord's tenacity, imperator's command, and dichotomic shield, the amount of hp a warrior can get to is very high, and that is relevant when talking about spell damage survival. dichotomic shield is a 25% increase and warlord's tenacity is 45k, then imperator's command is 14k.

Like you said, they are all fairly short duration, long reuse, and it would obvioulsy be better to stagger their use than use them all at once. But that's fine for spell damage, because its predictable. Take the reaper in korsha 1 for instance, He is difficult to tank for knights because every once in a while, the ae's in the zone line up and you take a ton of spell damage all at once. A warrior can anticipate this coming with timers and click stuff to mitigate it, or endure it. knights have literally nothing for that. We can still mitigate the melee damage that will come at the same time and tank it fine, but a warrior is clearly the better choice for this.

And to be clear, i am not saying this is a bad thing, everybody should have unique purposes, all I'm saying, is that warriors are actually the best spell tanks.
  14. shiftie Augur

When I requested the aa, there were a lot more spells being used by npcs that we could bounce. Unfortunately that has diminished. You never know when it might pop up though.
  15. p2aa Augur

16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Right. “Absurd” just seemed a bit much to me but I get what you’re saying, broheim.

I’m just so relieved Lenny’s ok.
    [IMG]
    yepmetoo likes this.