SHD: Grelleth's Skin and Protective Mimic, why don't they mix?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Kurayami, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kurayami Augur

So recently worked out a trade in LoN to get myself a protective mimic for the 1 % melee/spell mitigation. However came to a really lame discovery, whenever my Grelleth's Skin Procs, it ERASES my familiar? I can understand the SKIN proc taking over on what mitigation is used, but is removing my familiar buff really necessary? Would it be possible for this to work more like haste/slow work together, where the slow takes precedence, but the haste is in effect once the slow is back?

As a related question, what on earth is the difference between the different skins we been getting since Prophecy of Ro (oh how I HATED those bolvirks). I notice we get more potential procs per cast over the levels, but is there an increase in the amount of mitigation the proc itself does? Is there an outline somewhere of the differences? If the difference is potential procs only, I am totally using umbral rk 3 at all times from now on. I have found that I can use umbral skin together with protective mimic just fine.
  2. Kurayami Augur

So did more research, apparently have to look in the raw data to really see what is going on with the different levels of Skin procs, found this for the Rk . 3 Variety

base 2_6:

Grelleth's Skin 4333
    Sholothian Skin 3275
    Gorgon Skin 1320
    Malarian Skin 660

base 2_2:

Umbral Skin 573
    Decrepit Skin 295

So seems there is quite a difference between them besides just a few more chances to proc. Also notice the higher level ones for some reason are listed under base 2_6 in raw data while the olders are listed under base 2_2.

So guess to revise my question, would it be possible to move the new procs(Grelleth, Sholothian, Gorgon, and Malarian) over to base 2_2 where they don't interfere with the Protective Mimic or anything else for that matter?
  3. Brudal Augur

Slot 2 would interfere with Aura of the Pious which is a 3% melee mitigation with no absorb cap listed. Grats on the new toy, but you do realize the mimic only reduces a melee hit by up to 10 damage and spell by up to 20 damage right?
  4. Kurayami Augur

Does better than that, actually.
  5. Brudal Augur

Can you elaborate on this? You did the research to show the exact maximum amount absorbed from the various skin effects so you can clearly see that grelleth's skin will absorb more damage in a hit than say Sholoth.

The effect of Protective mimic is very similar to skin effect and has values populated in base 2_6 ( or the 2nd value for the slot 6 line item) to determine max amount absorbed.

6: Mitigate Melee Damage by 1%, 0 total
    base6
    1%
    base 2_6
    10 damage absorbed per hit

If it was a flat 1% reduction, base 2_6 or base 2_4 for the spell damage mitigation should show "0" as it does with shining armor or aura of the pious indicating no limit.
    Kurayami likes this.
  6. Kurayami Augur

Hrrmmm, is possible you are correct, I was going off the values from Alla showing:

Description
    1: Summon Familiar: FamiliarProtectiveMimic
    4: Mitigate Spell Damage by 1%, 0 total
    6: Mitigate Melee Damage by 1%, 0 total

I do see that base2_6 is listed as 10 and base2_4 is listed as 20 in the raw data.

Is possible the description is off, I admittedly am not sure what variables mean what w/ the raw data. If that is true, it seems I just got my silly rog alt an exceptionally expensive new toy. Oh well, thanks for pointing out my error if this is the case Brudal.
    Brudal likes this.
  7. Kurayami Augur

*shrugs and eats a little humble pie*

Would it be possible for a dev to confirm that I am in fact incorrect here, that Protective Mimic is only 10 reduction to melee max and 20 reduction to spells max, not ! % of whatever the damage might be? Thanks!
  8. Riou EQResource

There is that limit, you can probably find the quote by Ngreth on the old forums when people were going nuts about it first parsing as unlimited 1% :p
  9. Kurayami Augur

So did a little testing, it is confirmed, Protective Mimic is a worthless piece of garbage. Saves against 1 %, up to 10 damage max, so it became pretty useless shortly after mobs started hitting for over 1k. I recommend that NO ONE bother getting this, you are better off using it to trade for items that actually work.