Setting up on Mac

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oakenn Tigerspirit, May 10, 2015.

1. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

So with the progression server coming up have a few friends ready to jump on and give it a whirl but one of them has a mac.

I found some older posts discussing how to set it up but was hoping someone who has done it recently could give me any tips/tricks to getting it set up as painlessly as possible. I've hardly ever touched a mac and am going to hate every minute of the setup.
  2. nerdvsgeek New Member

The easiest would probably be to play under Boot Camp, but this requires a valid copy of Windows to setup and then your friend would need to reboot into Windows to play. If they do not have a copy of Windows already, Microsoft has the Windows 10 Technical Preview that is free (it is a beta!) until October. PCWorld has a write up for using Windows 10 under Boot Camp, here <http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824...e-windows-10-technical-preview-on-a-mac.html>

Otherwise, you can use Wineskin or PlayOnMac to run Everquest under WINE directly on Mac OS X. This one is harder and it may not work 100% - I believe you will have to disable VertexShaders in the eqclient.ini file to see the character models. This one will require a lot of trial and error and searching on Google. (I don't have a Mac any more, so really can't help further here.)

Good luck!
  3. Vuzzigrogg New Member

My wife has an Apple.... the best way to play is to go with Bootcamp. She is able to play with no problems, lag, or graphics issues. Just so you know... she runs max settings with no problems at all under Bootcamp. We looked at the other ways... and they were more complicated than it was worth.
  4. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

Ty for the info on the pitfalls of Wine. Will just go with boot camp since you both highly recommend it. I'm sure I can come up with a copy of windows somewhere

This ancient post is the only one I've found to have pretty detailed instructions.. Does this look right to you?

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...ing-everquest-for-windows-on-a-mac-pro.27405/

My kneejerk is to set my gfs mac on fire and get her a pc with win 7 but sadly she wouldn't be very happy if I did that.
  5. Ferry-Tunare Augur

They don't really want us playing on a mac and some methods will actually get you banned. I use Bootcamp. It's a pain and isn't perfect but is the best method I've found so far.
  6. Vuzzigrogg New Member

That looks right, Oakenn. I of course would go with Windows 7, especially since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. All that crap about Runfirst and transferring stuff over the network is not needed. Set up Bootcamp and tell it you want to make a Windows partition. I made my wife's partition on her Mac 500gig. Then simply load your version of windows onto the Bootcamp partition. Once Windows is installed, then install EQ, update, play...
    Hobitses likes this.
  7. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

Thanks sounds good. Now to get a legit copy of windows without paying a arm and a leg lol
  8. Xackery New Member