Server thinks one machine is logged on twice.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Herf, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Herf Augur

I have 3 accounts, call them A, B, and C. Today I'm playing A on machine, #1, and B on machine #2. Character on A dies so I switch accounts on machine #1 from A to C (need to login cleric on 3rd account). While logging in, but before login is complete, I realize I'm re-logging in on account A so I kill the EQ game by clicking on the 'x' Windows button.
    While doing this I've booted up machine #3. And logged in account A on machine #3.

NOW: when I try to login on machine #1, account C, client gives me a warning saying that I'm only allowed to have one account at a time logged in on one machine at a time (this is on Agnarr). I check, and there's only one EQ process running. Thinking the client is bugged I reboot the machine, but have the same problem. Finally, I logout both other machines; machine #2 running account B, and machine #3 running account A. *NOW* I can login account C on machine #2.

It seems evident that the server was bugged, not the client, because the problem on machine #1 went away only when I logged off the account that was originally running on machine #1, and now running on machine #3. (I wish I'd thought to logout only machine #3 to confirm that machine #2 was not involved.)

I suspect that when I aborted login by killing the window, the server side data structure for the connection was left in an indeterminate state; perhaps it was waiting for a game protocol handshake to complete which couldn't (because the client was dead). I can't be certain if logging out machine #3 was the fix, or, if the server socket to the dead client finally timed out coincident with my shut down of machine #3. It seems clear though that for some period of time the server had two connections to machine #1; the one that was dead but the server didn't know it, and the one that I was currently trying to login using a different account on machine #1
    niente likes this.
  2. Herf Augur

Bump. This happened to another person in my guild this morning. Again, the solution was to log out all machines that had EQ running on them.