Server not responding after character select

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Asra, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Asra New Member

So... I sent this to support and they couldn't figure it out and told me to go to the forums...

I recently was gathering materials on my bard in Jaggedpine Forest and traveled to the Ruins of Takish Hiz to go into the Elddar Forest at which point my client had a long spike of not responding attempting to zone in to Elddar Forest. I killed the application from the task manager and started up the client again and was informed that I had a character logged in, to which I kicked the character off.

Attempting to log in to the same character gives me a black screen saying "The server is not responding" followed by "You have been disconnected" and being kicked back to the server select login.
    After repeated attempts to log into my character, I figured the zone had crashed and attempted to log into another character on the same account... Only to get the same results. I attempted to log into my characters on the same account. Doing so resulted in the same response "The server is not responding" followed by "You have been disconnected". This however only affected one (1) account on my PC.

Tech support gave me a laundry list of things to back up and delete:

defaults.ini
    eqclient.ini
    eqgame.exe
    EQGfx_Dx8.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    eqlsClient.ini
    eqmain.dll
    Also, back up the character configuration files by following these instructions:
    <CharacterName><ServerName>.ini (example jack_bristlebane.ini)
    UI<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini (example ui_jack_bristlebane.ini)

After doing so I was able to log in perfectly fine. Yay! Or so I thought....

The following week... similar situation... Originally the issue was only affecting one account. (I run three different accounts from one system) But Sunday 2/6/22 I was completing some foraging on a character from my Main account and walked back to the Knowledge book to travel to the Plane of Knowledge and I once again had a long delay resulting in my client Not responding. After crashing my client, logging in again, ejecting my still active character and getting back to character select; upon clicking Enter World I am ejected to a black screen stating "The Server is not responding" followed by "You have been disconnected".

After backing up and deleting these files I let the Launcher verify files to repopulate those missing files and attempted to log in again. My results were the same, "The server is not responding" followed by "You have been disconnected" Only now this is not only affecting a single account as it was previously but ALL of my accounts on the same PC.

After several repeated attempts at backing up and deleting and restoring those files I totally uninstalled and reinstalled Everquest. I believe i'm at my 5th uninstall/reinstall. This did not fix the issue.

I know for certain it is not a connectivity issue on my end because I have already reset my internet connections and security software. I have also performed a clean boot to my system and have attempted to go through this without 3rd party start up programs. This also did not fix anything.

Can anyone help solve this issue?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Try making sure that you add the entire EQ directory to your Anti-virus & Firewall exceptions list.
    Especially if you use Windows Defender as that is a common culprit in connection issues for EQ.
    Clear out all your old log files (or move them to a backup drive).
  3. Asra New Member

I with a little further experimentation I have found I can create and play characters on other servers. I recently created a couple level 1 characters on Povar on two of my accounts and played around with them for a bit before attempting to go back to Tunare where the majority of my characters are housed.

I can play around on another server perfectly fine, however I keep getting the same response for my characters on Tunare... "The server is not responding" and "You have been disconnected". So something is leading me to believe it is some sort of corrupt file server side or something similar to a stuck characters.
  4. Hirbow Augur

I had that issue, it was a corrupt file with my default UI.. I had to delete it and start from scratch to put it the way I liked it; if I copy /pasted it , I would get the same error.

Upon further testing, I noticed ''I think'' its my tell windows. Do you use a Tell box where all your tells go there, or you use separate tell windows chat for each conversation? I think that's what did it for me..