selos/mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sethiroth, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Sethiroth Augur

Yes, it’s another thread discussing possibilities for the new TLP servers. If you had anything better to do you wouldn’t be trolling the Everquest forum =p

it seems to me the best way to keep most people happy would be something like this:

change the lockout timer on selos to three months.

change mangler lockout to one month. still start at classic, everything else is the same as selos

add FV loot to both

the good bits:

Nearly* everyone likes fast exp, so that's covered.
    hardcore players have their race server.
    casuals have their longer lockout server.
    if you want to play on luclin, you're either gonna start there, or be there within a few months
    as for FV loot, it seems a lot of players either want it or aren't bothered, there's not much dissent over that, so adding it is liable to make most people happy, with minimal risk of a backfire. if they can do it, they should.

the bad bits:

casuals that want to start in classic, cant. these are likely the biggest group of disappointed people.
    people who want true box removing are gonna be disappointed (personally I think truebox absolutely has to stay)
    *Hardcore players who want a truer to original eq experience will be dissapointed. From the forum response, these people are in the minority. Most people who seek this are likely already playing project 99 or similar.
    Some hardcore players who wanted the Luclin start (or want to avoid the trilogy) will be dissapointed, but given that the server will be there with in a few months, I feel this would be an acceptable trade off.

There’s no way to please everyone, so this is an exercise in damage mitigation, and I feel something like this will salve the most wounds.
  2. Xylonite Journeyman

+1 to this really. Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

How would you address the Krono dilemma?
  4. Evade Augur

How can you say this would keep most people happy when most casuals prefer to start in classic while hardcores prefer Luclin start?

Leave Selo as is as that pleases most hardcore players.
    Turn Mangled into a casual server with the same xp and rare spawns as Selo but start in classic with 3-6 months per expansion
    Tyrs, Vinlail, Haeldar and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Great Pink Ogre Elder

What Krono dilemma? Such a thing does not exist.
  6. Sethiroth Augur

From all the feed back I’ve seen on this forum, I haven’t seen that many people saying this, though I believe (like I stated in the OP) that this would likely be the biggest dissatisfied group, but as a whole, (casuals and hardcore and everything in between) this would be the most damage mitigated imo.
  7. Sethiroth Augur

Play a different game?
  8. Balderdash Lorekeeper

I would not play on either server that you described. Classic start is a must, the luclin zones are horrendous and that’s where all the leveling will be as those zones have the highest exp modifiers. It doesn’t matter what you’re play style is like, to get in a group you have to go where the grouping is.
  9. Balderdash Lorekeeper

On a TLP there is no reason to buy anything with Krono. Gear gets obsolete so fast. Just save up your DKP for the expansions that have the right gear for your class and you’ll do well till Underfoot.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  10. Brunlin Augur

I would like to see a xp increase on Mangler but nor faster than Agnaar, however I have decided to play on this server, even if it doesn't get tweaked. I can concentrate on buy bags for 2 accounts where on Selos i would have to buy bags and mounts. Not to mention I have join a good group of people that will play on this server, AOW.

Meanwhile on Selos, unlocks are way to fast, numerous hardcore raiding guild are recruiting on this server, Im sure there will be a couple casual guilds but it does seem to be unbalance to hard core raiding. xp is way to fast even for a casual.

I would rather just take my time and enjoy the group that I am in and make new friends which is the heart of the game than to be rushing to get to the next area and looking for the next group.
  11. Sethiroth Augur

As things are it’s damage limitation. What I suggested is what I believe to be one of the better solutions to cover as many bases as possible. The fact is, there’s no way to cater for everyone.
  12. Mescar Lorekeeper

Easy way to address your krono problem, don't buy it. Plain and simple, you no one is buying the item for kronos, then the price will either drop, or the farmers will move on to something else to farm. It is not DBG that should police your krono issue, its the players. Just tell the farmers no krono.
  13. Polekn Augur

Why is there no "dislike" button on these forums?
    Haeldar and Renshu like this.
  14. Xhieron Elder

I think that's the most classic EQ thing I've read since Lord of the Flies week started. Just like old times, huh? Wild West out here. I mean, it's not like that kind of laissez-faire attitude turned past TLP raid scenes into hatemongering clown shows or anything.
    So Happy likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So why not just leave Selo as it is and change Mangler?

Mangler is already starting in classic and has a 3 month lockout they just need to change the other stuff to be the same as Selo.
    Haeldar and yerm like this.
  16. So Happy Augur

Or Daybreak could simply put a 1 time trade limit on krono.
  17. Sethiroth Augur

The clue is in there if you read the whole post tbf, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and explain my reasoning here in a bit more depth.

Firstly, and on a personal note. I like the idea of starting in Luclin, and I don’t much enjoy Kunark, so for me that’s two birds with one stone.

Second, there are a fairly large group of vocal players who have done lots of TLPs, both hardcore and casual, who are tired of running through the trilogy and want to play further on in the expansions list. By starting the hardcore server at classic, you give those hardcore players who do like playing through classic that aspect, while at the same time, only having one month of each which may be more palatable to those hardcore players who are tired of classic. (And if they really don’t want to play through that, they only have three months to wait and then they can skip that content.

Whereas, you make the casual server start at classic, and the people who don’t like classic just won’t play (or they have to wait 9+ months)
  18. Evade2019 Lorekeeper

You must have missed the compilation thread I made.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...mpilation-of-what-casual-players-want.254674/

It’s pretty clear what casuals want.
    Start in classic
    3+ month expan unlocks
    Fast xp
    increased rare spawns
    Truebox
    Chatoyan and Bracken like this.
  19. Sethiroth Augur

No. Pretty sure I posted in it. I’ve used a lot of what was said there as part of what I’ve put here, but I’ve also taken into account lots of Posts from other threads and from other forums etc, and tried to weigh everything up to balance it all out so that minimal people are dissapointed. this is literally my opinion from my perspective of everything I’ve read about this subject since daybreak made their first announcement. It’s not perfect, but I believe it covers most of the bases that have been discussed.
  20. yerm Augur

The ability to trade krono as a currency increases its inherent value and allows for krono to hit the markets in excess of the literal amount needed to sustain subscriptions. Your idea would cause it to ne only a commodity and plat to remain to sole staple currency, similar to wow+gold. Since this causes krono to effectively serve as only a substitute for subscriptions, daybreak is making only a minimal margin here. This method is far more useful as a way of redistributing plat hoardes.

What could cut down somewhat on the worst excesses is to just limit to xserver portability of krono. Purchased krono could be taken to any server while acquired krono could not be hoarded and carried along either to subsequent tlps or by live players just looking to make bank off a launch rush before returning in time for betas and the next expansion. Note that does not eliminate the issue nor prevent someone from paying to win, just a mitigation of the worst abuse is all.

You seem to misunderstand the point here.

- The people who want a classic start server are almost entirely also people who want slow unlocks.
    - The people who want fast (1 month or as soon as expansion completed) are mostly people who want a post-classic start.

Your classic + 1 month server misses almost everybody. Your luclin + 3 month server appeals to only a minority. The vast bulk of people will want the timers swapped.
    Chatoyan and Yinla like this.