Selo exp caps are too low

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by theonepercent, Sep 7, 2020.

1. theonepercent Augur

Selo is supposed to have bonus exp but it has the same exp caps as a normal live server which means in many situations the bonus exp just gets thrown away. Please raise the exp caps on Selo to FV levels.
    yodo and That0neguy like this.
  2. theonepercent Augur

Since the exp on Selo was confirmed to be working as intended in that other thread this is surely a bug. No reason we should have the same exp rate as FV while only having standard live exp caps.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Player EXP cap and AA cap are different.

Player EXP only hits the cap in the first 10 to 20 player levels (depending on multipliers) and those go fast. The player in the bug thread made a test with a level 1 player, where the cap is hit VERY easily. After level 20, there is very little chance of hitting the exp per kill cap.
    In new Selo content, you will not even get anywhere NEAR the cap if you are of the level to consume the content. The cap is a percentage of player level... not a flat number... you aren't getting anywhere near the percentage to matter in current Selo content.

The AA cap is a different animal. I'm not sure about adjusting that, or if we even have a method to adjust it's cap. (either cap) That will take some research.
    Nennius, theonepercent and Duder like this.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Isn't AA hitting the ~2m integer limit which equals about 5AA, don't remember if that had been able to be converted to use an extended integer in order to use more memory space. Before a fix had gone in people had been hitting the max int and it was overflowing, don't remember what it was doing overflowed but maybe it was only giving a fraction of exp per kill. After the fix it was set to cap at max int to handle overflow.
  5. German Augur

Ngreth,
    I really don't think we need to adjust the AA cap per kill, and I have some alts I grind AAs on the old fashioned way with plenty more to go on them. The guild hall ornaments farming AAs via collections and task adds to missions already have easy street paved.
  6. Pikollo Augur

Guessing you are on Xegony and we are discussing Selo? There is a big difference between a server who's supposed to be moving at lightning speed and one that is not. If Selo gets choked on aa's because our server bonus is hitting a low cap then we miss out on a lot. We don't have 12 months to do content we have one. We signed up for a fast moving server so choke holds go against what the server was made for.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

If its the ~2 million 32-bit signed integer limit (or 4m unsigned), its not a trivial matter to re-architect it to go any higher. The game is so old we are more and more hitting the limits of 32-bit programming. It's not on purpose as a design decision, the game cannot grant any more exp. It was first discovered in RoS, the golems in OT were giving minuscule exp because the value wasn't prevented from overflowing. 5 AA is equal to the max amount of exp that can be granted at this point.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So the eventual & necessary move to a 64-bit client should eventually allow the devs to resolve this?
  9. That0neguy Augur

2,147,483,647 is 2b not 2m
  10. Nniki Augur

Architecture and data type sizes are two different matters. They're already using 64-bit integers for experience and health. They made the changes after the RoS expansion launched. They just have caps in place, which would need re-evaluated and/or checked to see how feasible it is to modify them as Ngreth said.
  11. German Augur

Because it would affect live as well, so its very relevant to us. Pretty soon Selo's will be live.

12. Pikollo Augur

Doesn't FV have a higher cap? In the original thread the level 1 char got more xp then live/selo. Is that proof it can be changed? Not gonna pretend to understand the technical side of all of this but it seems like FV already has a higher cap and its not affecting other servers. So if this is the case it shouldn't change live if Selo were changed.

Also I really hope the folks at DBG use Selo as a lesson. IMO the ruleset was great. It got me back into the game after 10 years. But there was a huge lack of foresight for this server. Things like the XP caps, raid flagging/loot/keys/spells etc. were either thought of and ignored, or they didn't think the whole ruleset/server through. Either way I hope the cap can be changed otherwise Selo is about to have some even tougher times.
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

FV has a higher regular exp cap, which will be apparent for the first 20 levels. Hes not concerned players will hit the cap above level 20.

14. Drampire New Member

I think everyone is just too stuck on being able to hit cap in 1-3 weeks, or have the raids completed in the current month. Personally I think the xp rate is fine the way it is. Even on a 10k aa xpac like tBM, it's still obtainable from only a few hours a day of solid game play which imo would still be quicker than some of the 70s xpacs were to stay current with. While I would agree there was a lack of foresight, and even more lack of aftersight, some tweaking could be done but there are much more important things to fix such as cross server chat channels.

I do agree with some changes to flagging, keys, spells, and other drop rates for fast unlock servers. Hopefully on future TLPs they will do away from the 3 month drag servers and maybe meet in the middle with 2 month 130% xp mod. Or even better, a different time per each expac based on how much content they are packing. But they've pretty much already gave us the answer on that.

There is some merit to this conversation though, and it should probably be moved to the TLP thread so more players will see it and give input. While there may be some bug, It's definitely not A bug.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Do you play on Selo?
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This isn't about exp it us about AA and effects more than just selos.

Bonus exp for live players working on AAs is becoming worthless due to the AA cap.
    Skuz and theonepercent like this.
  17. Pikollo Augur

Sorry but I chose to come back to EQ to play on Selo specifically so I did not have to work a second job to get aa. "A few hours a day of solid gameplay" is what live servers have to do. I played that game and it burned me out 10 years ago. I'm on Selo so I can casually do all of this. Not play 7 days a week to get 100 aa.

Sorry to say if you think fixing cross server chat channels is more important than addressing an experience issue then I think you got your priorities wrong. A handful of people may use cross server chats where an XP choke effects basically everyone.

I am curious though. Level xp slowed down a lot on Selo around the SoD era. It was still somewhat faster then what I remember of live. But I do wonder if we have been hitting a level xp cap as well making these 5 level gains longer.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Ngreth Thergn Developer

What we are more reluctant to do, is change the rules after we've already laid them out for the server. To calm the bait and switch claims "You told me it would be this then you change it, that's not what I signed up for" *AND* to not have to constantly re-do work. *AND* it's MUCH more difficult to explain what the expansion unlock cycle is if it isn't following simple rules. I'm not saying this last is a big thing, we could make a list. But, it *IS* a thing.

*IF* we came up with a plan with more varied expansion unlock cycles while we are setting up a server, and devise a good way to pass that information to players, perhaps just an entry in the FAQ on top of the in-game calendar, It is not a huge deal. It's only an "Issue" once the schedule is already created and entered.

You will not be hitting the per kill exp cap in SoD, unless you character is less than level 20 (probably less)
    Boze and Drampire like this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Live has Auto Grant AA. Not sure anyone puts many hours into AA'ing any more there. And if your going to pay you can pay there and get that. A lot has changed in 10 years on live.
  20. Pikollo Augur

We have autogrant too. This has nothing to do with current expansion aa gain though. Autogrant is 3 or 4? expansions behind. So no real bearing on Selo unless you are new (we don't get new people) or leveling an alt. Currently we are on a 2k aa expansion (TDS) that also had 5 levels attached. TBM is less then 1k. Then BOOM in 5 weeks we got EoK and almost 11k aa. You have to bear in mind that live, in era, everyone had 365 days to aa, gear, etc. to prep for the next expansion. Selo gets 30 days. So if we are being choked on the upper end of aa gain then we have a huge disadvantage.

So far we've had flag chokes in raids, gear chokes in raids, and now an aa cap that will choke our aa gain. The raid part (IMO) there's no great excuse why this was never thought of (Except UF which was a shining example of how Selo raiding should have been). But this aa part I can understand why it never came to mind. The question now is will/can anything be done. Or will our aa gain with bonuses basically be the same as live thereby slowing Selo down.

@Ngreth thank you for the clarification on level xp. And if I'm reading the other part right. I agree somewhat. Obviously once rules are made its extremely hard to change them without someone complaining. You can't please everyone. But EQ and the servers evolve over time. I think its important to keep up with player base per server to always try to improve their game play (See Selo truebox thread). But thats easier said then done I know.
    Skuz likes this.