Royal Visits? More like Royal PITA

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Metanis Bad Company

We zone extremely slowly because we aren't sitting in the building with the fiber optic connection to the server. Whoever designed this mission should be required to spend the next 30 days using nothing but dial-up access to the Internet.

This seriously makes me wonder why I pay for the pleasure of being abused in this fashion.
  2. Ceffener Augur

Don’t have fiber optics and currently load lightning fast outside of first load into the game.

Even when I played on 28.8k, your RAM/hard drive effected zone time more than connection did. Look at your internet connection, it’s not sending much data while zoning.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

My Internet connection is what it is. I live in a very rural area and poor DSL is the best I can get. My post isn't about that, it's about a mission that requires almost a dozen zone actions for no good reason that I can see. Who makes an instance just so you have to zone in and hail a mob and then have the instance depop right away?
  4. Lianeb Augur

Aristo
  5. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

6. Vdidar Augur

I remember when I first started playing eq I had such a terrible pc that it would literally take 5 minutes or more to zone. I got really good at not dying.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Me, too. But, as @lagkills says, it has very little to do with the data rate of your connection. I had the same experience when I started EQ, and then the next year, went over to DSL. My download speeds went up exponentially, but my zone time in EQ was pretty much unchanged.

There was, at one time, a command you could use to "unpack" (for lack of a better word) EQ files on your HD, and doing that at the time really did help speed up my zone times. Then, later, I got a new PC, and suddenly, zoning was very fast ;)
    Vdidar likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Had a member in the group LD while zoning, such a pain in the butt to fix if you miss a hail in the instance, wish you had a bit longer.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

I've wiresharked (generic packet sniffer) my Internet connection while zoning. Zoning is very "chatty". Tons of tiny packets each of which require an ACK packet from my client. Yes, I've optimized my TCP/IP stack and ensured my MTU is appropriate!

My ISP in this area is saturated. My nominal DSL connection is 15Mbps down but only 0.875Mbps up. Most evenings the DSLAM is so overloaded that we only see 1.5Mbps down. I think this results in many of our ACK packets being dropped which then require retransmission from the server.

During peak raid times it can take us almost 10 minutes to zone into the Grand Guild Hall. GGH can be the worst due to the raw number of items which need to be enumerated.

We have fast computers with 16GB of RAM and SSDs and 4GB discrete video cards.

Our cellular data coverage is just as bad so it's not an option. Otherwise our only other choice would be satellite which would have terrible latency and cost 3x the amount per month.

Of course we could move into the city. But the wife informs me that I'd be moving alone.

Which brings me back to the original sentiments of my post. Whoever designs a quest that requires so many worthless zoning steps should be required to experience their creation with a poor Internet connection.
    Barton likes this.
  10. NeverPayForLag Augur

I am completely with you. I have 100MBit, cable and I am sure that even I upgrade to 500MBit, that will not do any much difference. My systems are fast, I would never work with HDs anymore. SSDs are the slowest, M.2 is the future standard. Graka Nivdia upper class. Ram is 18GB min. but CPUs are only 4/8-core of older class - so the hardware is not really an issue even I could upgrade the CPUs. But still I am waiting for packets from the server. This may has to do with hardware if the hardware is slow - mine is not and zoning still sucks. This got worse since correction of all the disconnection bugs. So it seems the servers have serious issues and are very slow in handling/communication of the data.

Zoning is an outdated technique. But EQ is old. If that is the case then zoning should be avoided as good as possible. Especially if it needs ages and 30s-1min for zoning is also too much for my taste if I have to do it more often. The Explorer Achievement is a pita! Get used to look some hours at a loading screen.... But this is even better than having constant disconnections because the server cannot handle the data load. Another way would be to spend more money into fast servers and connections but I assume that economic decisions for maximizing profit is more important nowadays...
  11. Moege Augur

After a server patch zoning is effortless then it starts degrading till it finally is randomly slow/fast/just normal. Then pet and mounts start appearing in world without masters this the time you know the server is buggered.

EQ has a server memory bug somewhere that is causing this (bug is relative new pets/mounts started showing +- 4 patches ago). Currently on FV there is about 8 pets in the guild lobby, 5 or so mounts. In a space of 30 minutes I have experienced 5 minute zone times or 20 seconds.

That the server simply does not crash is a miracle all by itself.

32GB Ram, m.2 sata, ryzen processor, 100Mbit down/50Mbit up its not my hardware/connection.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Honestly, getting mad at a task design because YOUR ISP sucks is kinda lame. They can't possibly design all of the tasks around everyones ISP.

As for NeverPayForLag's comment... you can have a 256kbit/sec connection vs. my 1.5gbit/sec connection and it won't make any difference whatsoever as long as latency to EQ's servers are equal. EQ barely exceeds dialup bandwidth to this day.
  13. mark Augur

metanis while you play eq can you use your mobile as a hot spot when i lived in the country here i would use my phone for internet,just patch with your internet connection then switch to mobile if possible eq dosent use that much data compared to modern games.just an idea.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

He already addressed that in his post
  15. Dewey Augur

This post proves that people will complain about everything. I liked the mission.

It honestly appears that your complaining about your computer /internet deficiencies to a dev, and believe that they need to dumb the game down to fit your software.

Instead post what you have in the p players support forum. All for tips and tricks there. Your issue is a tech support and your own wallet problem.

If you had better hardware, maybe you'd like the mission as well.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

A - It's not his hardware

B - Dumb it down? Wow, didn't know "git gud" meant "zone more". Who knew?

Did you even read his post? Rural connection issues. There is no "fix". All he's asking is, can we not have silly zoning design (zone to an instance, do one thing, zone back). Is that REALLY such a big ask?
    Metanis likes this.