Root parking and mercs

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Endless, May 10, 2015.

1. Endless Augur

I started root parking adds using my shaman. My warrior (I box three; warrior92, shaman90 enchanter85, with healer merc and two melee DPS merc) is set as tank, main assist and puller. I pull two or three, root park one and AoE taunt with my warrior. Enchanter is too low level to mez.

I was thinking the DPS mercs would assist on the one mob my warrior is on, kill that quickly, then when warrior switches, they switch, but many times they are all over the place. Hell, many times they run to the mob my shaman rooted and refuse to leave till I set them to passive. But by then, my healer merc is on the mobs hate list and gets summoned over and over to the point she can't heal my warrior and everything goes to .

I guess I am expecting too much when the DPS "rogue" mercs can't even stop melee and generating hate when they take over the roll of tank. They just keep plodding away doing less DPS and killing the healer mercs mana bar when they could have evaded or simply stop meleeing for a sec to drop agro. I mean, I could deal with that, but them engaging mobs my warrior, the main assist hasn't even targeted yet makes things a lot more difficult.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it broke and waiting to be fixed?
  2. EonBlue Apocalypse Journeyman

not sure but having your tank as assist and puller might be a conflict in a way. At least enough to disrupt.
    I usually just set my tank as MA and MT. I set puller to the one that doesnt need a merc hanging around like my shaman or ranger, or whatever else I'm using. Try it out and let me know. My merc issue is more of a "they just stand there sometimes" kinda thing.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  3. Endless Augur

I run three accounts, each with a merc. When I set puller to one of the other two and run out with my warrior to pull, his merc and sometimes even the other two mercs follow him, probably thinking the group is moving. I've seen that everytime I actually move camp and run one account to the spot at a time. Merc's ping pong back and fourth following which ever two accounts is not set as puller.

I tried just not having a "main assist" and that seems to be working. At least for the three times I've had to root park after the change. Think maybe when main assist has anything on agro list, the mercs just go after what's next on the list. Whether the tank has engaged or not. Might try just turning their auto-assist off and make hotkey for them to engage if this didn't actually fix the problem. Thanks for the help.
  4. EonBlue Apocalypse Journeyman

that would be the next step I'd think, although mildly tedious. I run a 3 box/ 3 merc as well. there are times Ive had to swap to the disobediant merc employer and toggle auto assist and that seems to work, like you said, otherwise i toggle passive and burn. Both have been viable options. But i think the passive/burn has a higher % of working from what I've seen. Most of the time though I dont have this issue. Do you run two dps melee mercs and a healer? or one of each? like a melee and a caster combo? you may try that avenue as well just to stir it up a bit, unless that hasnt been successful. Depending on my line up I usually go with this route unless I dont have a caster slot available.
  5. Ferry-Tunare Augur

We genuinely need to be able to set the tank merc to be the main assist. He's going to royally %@$# up target selection but once he's on a target, it's a royal PIA to change, might as well just make him MA and roll with it.
  6. strongbus Augur

as a necro who boxes with a wizard merc. I find it easy to just set my necro as puller and the box as ma. this way if i punt something long as i don't target it with box 95% of the time wizard merc don't do anything to it.
  7. Endless Augur

I currently run a healer merc on my warrior and the other two accounts both run DPS melee mercs since they are easier for me to manage. Working on getting spell casting subtlety for the mercs or better agro for warrior before trying caster mercs again.

I went ahead and started controlling the DPS mercs like pets. Lot easier now. They still run off and start meleeing mobs on my agro list that are root parked far away and other than changing their stance to get them back to camp, not sure there is much else I can do.

I went back to setting my warrior as tank, main assist and puller as I like to use the shaman and enchanter to slow and debuff rooted adds while my warrior and DPS mercs kill the one in camp. After I started controlling the mercs like a pet and making the hotkeys for it, it's not too bad.