Rogue - Throwing weapons

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Legionarius - Xegony, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Legionarius - Xegony Elder

I'm lvl 100 and looking for some way to get throwing weapons. Is there an AA that gets em? Perhaps a new item that's easier to get than a Mysterious Belt of Daggers? Please respond.
  2. Modef Lorekeeper

3. Aziuno Augur

4. AB_H'Sishi Augur

5. Belexes ForumQuester

Here is what I use on my rogue. Summons a stack of 100 knives that are not temporary. Recast takes a while, but you can eventually get a sizable amount in your inventory for when you need to range dps. I carry a few thousand on me at all times.

Knifemaster's Vest

MAGIC ITEM PRESTIGE ATTUNABLE
    Slot: CHEST
    Charges: Unlimited
    AC: 218
    Skill Add DMG: Kick +9
    STR: +32+13 DEX: +32+13 STA: +29+12 CHA: +27+11 WIS: +25+10 INT: +24 AGI: +29+12 HP: +2552 MANA: +2489 ENDUR: +2540
    SV FIRE: +45 SV DISEASE: +45 SV COLD: +45 SV MAGIC: +45 SV POISON: +45
    Attack: +34 HP Regen +4 Mana Regeneration: +3 Clairvoyance: +40 Spell Damage: +29 Heal Amount: +29
    Required level of 100.
    Effect: Conjure Knives (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: Instant)
    Recast Delay: 10800 seconds, Recast Type: 43
    WT: 1.0 Size: LARGE
    Class: DRU MNK ROG BST BER
    Race: ALL
    Slot 1, Type 7 (General: Group)
    Slot 2, Type 13 (Energeiac: Group)
    Slot 3, Type 21 (Special Ornamentation)

This is the knife that you get when you right click it. Vest must be worn.

MAGIC ITEM PLACEABLE
    Slot: RANGE AMMO
    Skill: Throwingv1 Atk Delay: 18
    DMG: 79
    This item is placeable in yards, guild yards, houses and guild halls.
    Required level of 100.
    WT: 0.1 Range: 220 Size: SMALL
    Class: ALL
    Race: ALL
  6. Sigpa0s Journeyman

Additional options:

Stoneroot Starfish - very rare, zone-wide random drop in Stoneroot Falls.
    17 damage / 15 delay / 225 range
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=45045

Many-Pocketed Pouch - 'a Red Gold Golem' drop or "The Search for Saunk" mission reward in The Foundation
    47damage / 15delay / 250 range
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=86735

and, for me, the easiest/fastest, option:

The Guardian's Pouch - 'Jotik the Guardian' drop in Valdeholm
    27 damage / 15 delay / 250 range
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=53360
  7. Pokeit New Member

I asked Ngreth the other day about getting a new throwing item and he said it was on his list although not very high on it. So keep our fingers crossed he can make it happen!
  8. Bahdah Augur

I don't understand this.
  9. Modef Lorekeeper

My comment on stats was in regards to Dex and Hdex. When switching to a Vest Throwing Knife in Range, one loses all Dex and HDex stats from that slot, which I thought added to ranged accuracy, damage, crits and procs.
    Un-Roguish as it both sounds and is, my solution to retaining all Dex added abilities while throwing, is to have an inherently high Hdex shield that I added Hdex augs to, in the 2ndry slot of my Range bando.

":I asked Ngreth the other day about getting a new throwing item and he said it was on his list although not very high on it. So keep our fingers crossed he can make it happen!"....Pokeit

Our ranged throwing DPS is pretty minimal. We have wanted a boost for a long time.

Ngreth, I realize all the devs are extremely busy, but, when time permits, can a suggestion I made some time ago be reviewed? I have no idea of the difficulties involved with coding this item but:

Augged Throwing Knife (Lore Group).....once a knife is augged, it becomes Lore grouped and NoDrop.
    With this item in Range slot, it's effects are transferred to the actual projectile (such as a Bow to an arrow, now).
    With a 4/8 slot, it could be augged with a dmg/bs aug or a DD proc aug.

This might effectively increase Rogue ranged DPS provided of course, it isn't too OP, time consuming to implement, or rank with coding issues.
  10. segap Augur

The 30ish hDex you're losing from your range item will barely impact your ranged dps. What you are losing though is HP which might matter a little bit if it's a ranged only raid event with AEs and stuff going off. I do like the idea though of making a throwing knife for the ranged slot that works like a bow and fires whatever throwing item is in the ammo slot. That's a qol thing versus a need though.

As for overall dps, we're not a ranged class. EoK did give us some AA to boost our ranged damage. I've not bothered testing to see if it made any real difference. Our ranged dps is basically a one handed auto-attack with a low damage/delay weapon that we don't have a slew of AA and discs to improve like we do with non-range weapons. We do have one throwing disc on a long timer that can occasionally be used. There are also gloves from the revamped NTOV that give a modifier (once again losing a heap of HP). If you're stuck throwing because of a boss mechanic, try to stay behind so you can maximize thrown backstabs. Just be prepared to suck on the parse unless it's a blue humanoid and you get heaps of assasinates. Ranged is not our niche and should not be.
    Belexes likes this.
  11. Belexes ForumQuester

Segap is right, we are not meant to be a range dps class. If you are ranging when you could have been behind the mob doing rogue stuff, then you are not roguing properly. :)

Very few instances where I would do range dps on my rogue. One I have found is when I was doing some headshooting with my ranger and ranger had a bunch of mobs vinelashed and was mowing them down. Time to get the lazy rogue to throw a few knives from the other side. :D

Other than that, maybe some circumstances in a raid where you might need to range. Pretty rare when I would do that.

Overall, we shouldn't be doing the same kind of dps with range and we ain't rangers. :)