Rogue Intimidation

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Scurvy, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Scurvy New Member

Please can something be done with this skill...

From what I understand, this skill can only raise if the mob you try it on is a high dark blue or above. Even then it will only raise on a successful proc, which is pretty much never. I have managed to raise it by 2 after several days of trying. Even worse, as I'm not 73, most mobs are invunerable to it as well, which for all I know means it's impossible to raise higher now.

Can't something be done to make this skill effective again? Either that or replace it with something worthwhile.

On a slightly different note. When I was a young player some 10 years ago, I remember being told that having low or negative charisma helped intimidation. I don't know if this was true or not, but I remember several items with negative charisma, and I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence. It's impossible to get that kind of charisma now, and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the lack of procs from this skill?

Keen to know more.
  2. Bareldi New Member

I have never played a rogue, so it may be different for you, but I suspect it works the same for you as for my bard.

I did eventually max the skill. It doesn't matter what level the target is. I did it mostly on red and yellow mobs, but got several skillups on lower level trivial mobs. You do not have to actually intimidate/fear the mob. In fact you don't have to be near it. You do have to spend a LONG time at it. Figure about 2 hours of constant button mashing per skillup.

The problem is that the skillups have TWO cascaded checks, with on the order of a 1 in 30 chance of passing each one, so about a 1 in 900 chance of a skillup per button-press. ouch.

The first check is to see if you will actually try to do an intimidate. Most times you will fail that check, and get a message that you are not scaring anyone, without trying to cast anything.

The 1 out of 30 times that you pass the first check, you will get a casting-related message, such as "your target is too far away" or a resist message or even (for a low-level target) you may actually have it run away from you.

Then, about 1 out of 30 times that you pass the first check and actually try to intimidate the target, you will get a skillup. I can't say for sure, but this seemed to happen at about the same rate whether you succeeded or not or whether you were in range or not. And it did not seem to get better (or worse) as your skill improved. No matter what, it took a couple of hours per skillup.

Broken. Even at max skill it almost never works even on mobs that are trivial to you. Worthless. Don't bother unless you are OCD about finishing those achievements and having all the numbers maxed.

I'm told that some people have managed to max the skill at each level just in the ordinary course of play, tying the skill to some button they press routinely. They must play a LOT. :)

Good luck.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Just tying it to a button that you mash regularly in combat will work fine, since it is almost impossible to have it work against mobs which are near your level or even light blue, you don't have to worry too much about a train being started.
  4. Ahnanna New Member

It would be nice to have it actually work on group mobs again like it used to 13+ expansions ago. The only reason I bother to train the skill now is due to a compulsive nature to max my skills.
  5. Nedrom Augur

Last year Elidroth posted that the skill was broken and it was on the list of things to fix. I never saw it in a patch message so most likely the fix is still in the works.

Also, this is not just a Rogue issue.
  6. Caudyr Augur

This. It's not just a rogue issue.

I also noticed that the NPC I usually used to skill up Intimidation on (a guard at the top of the tower to SK in NK) didn't give me a single skillup in many hours of intimidating. I went to another zone with a mob that at least would've given me exp and I got a skillup almost immediately, heh.

It's possible that it could've been a fluke and really bad luck, but I think the more likely case is that it's just not gonna skill up on mobs that don't give exp anymore.
  7. Scurvy New Member

Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread, but it beats me just starting a new one. But SONY, isn't it really long over-due to address this or give us something to replace it?

It would be nice to get a response at least.
  8. Cheapfx New Member

Intimidation was fixed with the April 17th patch. You should see skill ups now. Still slowly but not absolutely broken as it was for years.