Rod of Dark Rites

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Iila, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Iila Augur

The PoShadows bonus loot item, Rod of Dark Rites allows you to cast your next two spells by spending 10x the mana cost worth of HP. The actual effect works fine for the first spell you cast, but if you have any triggered spells (procs), they will eat the other change. So if you're like me and have a shawl and a mana return proc weapon, the effect has 1 charge 80% of the time.

I PM'd Chandrok about this after I noticed both charges being used up on one cast. He figured out it was the procs and said that they would try to get it working right. And that the standard focus effect restrictions wouldn't work. The one time I WANT a min 10 mana requirement on something, it won't help. :(

This item is still useful for doing SOMETHING after getting res'd back into a raid. And for various mana saving applications while grouping or soloing. But between only having 1 effective charge, and the 3.0s cast time, it's a lot less useful than I expected. Every raid I die in seems to have some sort of knockback that makes the 3s cast before casting group heal a HUGE pain. The 30 minute reuse keeps it from being an easy to use mini-harvest, I save it for deaths so that I know it will be up when I need it the most.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The usual way they do this is to have the effect only go off if the spell uses mana, which excludes procs (there are other effects that I believe use 1 mana, so it can be set to only go off if the spell uses >10 mana or a similar number). But I'm guessing if Chandrok thinks there is a problem then I guess they can't use the usual way.
  3. Tobynn Augur

Its a toy item. Its usefulness being highly situational does not surprise me a bit. That said, if its broken, then it needs a fix. However, even once fixed it will still be a borderline useless clicky toy. It likely warrants bottom barrel status on the to-fix list.