RNG Psychosis or Abnormal Drop Patterns?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by minimind, Aug 2, 2022.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

So the wife wants her berserker brought as close to my berserker's power as possible without having to raid. I took a look at her gear and found her Type 5s to be lacking, so I began camping Morwenna Undertow in Cobalt Scar (CoV) to upgrade her Type 5s with a bunch of Seaglass Curios.

In my many, many kills of Morwenna, though, I'm beginning to wonder if she has a weird drop pattern. For example, before the last patch, I was getting one drop every 10-20 kills. Just before the patch I had ~30 consecutive kills with no Seaglass Curio dropping. After the patch, I had a great streak of 6 drops in 10 kills. Now, going back a number of days after being away from EQ and I got zero drops out of >10 kills.

I know the RNG is streak-y and is known to drive people mad with conspiracy... but what if there's actually a conspiracy?

Am I losing it or has anyone else noticed a pattern?
    Wdor and Yinla like this.
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

EQ has dynamic anti-camper code. It detects time in zone and proximity to a named and alters the loot table on the fly. 1% drop rates become .1% and 10% chance of named spawning becomes 1%.

Welcome to The Vision.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have had similar experiences with Ol' Grinnin' Finley, Morwenna, and Blasphemous Steel in era.

You can get a 6 streak of Type 5s and then nothing for a week or more (broken up over short sessions).

Interestingly, I found this streaky drop behavior more prominent in CoV than ToL.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think the non-lore augs have a reduced drop rate. Better if you can run missions and buy them.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Um, I dont think thats been used for years and years, or was removed years ago.
    Svann2 likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You want weird streaky RNG? Start tradeskills on a new char! ;)
    Wdor likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

In my experience...

EQ knows when your about to leave a camp and are just waiting for it to respawn, so it spawns the named on the last PH spot, just so you have to clear the whole camp again!

Named also can see your guild chat and EQ boards and know when you are complaing about it and spawns just to make you look stupid!
    minimind, Wdor, Vrinda and 1 other person like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I can confirm all of the above. Moreover, the "next spawn cycle" script can be triggered when someone in your regular group says in voice, "Alright guys, I really have to go. I'll just stay for repops just in case the named pops."
    Wdor, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

And the corollary to that: Within two spawns after you leave, the named will spawn.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

It was a joke to explain the "camped mobs never spawn" thing
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

I would agree, its just streaky. I have gotten five in a row on type 5's, then zero for a week camping for alts. They do spawn a lot it seems like though.
    minimind likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It was never a thing, except in people's heads.