Reversing the power level

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

I stated this idea in another thread but I think it is worth a look by others.

Think of this as an alternate solution to what heroic characters were meant to solve.

New concept: XP as a tradable currency
    Goal: Increase the replay value of EQ
    The problems: Low population in lower level zones, grinding xp for high level characters must be done by those characters
    The solution: Seasonal characters

The implementation of seasonal characters for this purpose could be done in different ways. I offer one way.

Short seasons of two weeks. During those weeks,1 or 2 races are “in season” at a time. When a character of a seasonal race is created during the season, it earns double xp except the extra xp is in the form of a currency. This currency is tradable to characters on the same account on the condition that the recipient is equal or higher level. It must never be tradable downward or between accounts or that will exasperate the current problem with level based mmos.

Once a seasonal character is created it always earns xp currency until it trades it for the first time. It can trade it to multiple eligible characters but once it trades some xp currency, the seasonal quality of the character expires and it earns xp normally.

This creates a system that encourages playing alternate characters as an alternate way to earn and grind xp. It populates lower level zones with competent and knowledgeable players. It gives high level players an opportunity to see areas of Norrath that they might not have previously seen while looking forward to eventually cashing in a large xp reward for another character.

Downsides?
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Veto i hate the lower levels part of the game its not 2000 anymore.

Andarriel
  3. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

i can see the possibility of this...
    downsides could be a new player would be unable to find anything to kill, due to seasoned players boxing and steamrolling everything in these zones with max twinkage characters..

could be interesting if these characters were locked from loot trading...

and i love starting out... so it would definitely be a reason for me to figure things out and try to optimize the leveling...
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

We need more people peddling PL'ing in General chat.
    Shindius, Ozon and Filter like this.
  5. zleski Augur

No way. Eve Online has this and it's miserable.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Dislike.

My solution: Add "squire" system where sub-level 110 (or 115 come next week) characters in a group with a high level char can boost to 110 (115 next week...) and contribute some damage/healing while not being a liability
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Skuz like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think you just described the shroud system, with the only change being that the xp goes to a different char.

I think they should improve the shroud system instead. I want to shroud down to younger version of myself and do hero's journey, while still getting the same xp/hour as I would in the current expansion.

It would be a nice change from the eternal xp-grind once you have completed the newest content.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

The system sounds overly complicated and the restrictions are insane.
    Shindius likes this.
  9. Micker Augur

Just get rid of the level restrictions on items, so you can twink characters properly again and get fast exp. That was always the most fun long ago, when you could really twink a character and go god mode on mobs lol.
    Vizier, ForumBoss and Tucoh like this.
  10. Gorg00 Augur

Make heroics start out 5 levels below cap, maybe boosted during each non level cap expansion. Trying to force people to play decades or even years old content when there is practically speaking nobody to play with in that content means you're just forced to box, beg for a PL/carry, or pay for a PL.
  11. code-zero Augur

This sounds terrible
  12. The real Sandaormo Augur

Give people a choice for Heroic Character starts:

Level 85 w/ 20000 AA Geared with solid level 85 gear
    or
    Level 105 with 10000 AA and mid range gear
    or
    Level 115 with 5000 AA and lower level gear
    or
    Level 120 with 0 AA and Naked

Numbers on the different levels could be worked out but the idea would be interesting.
    You pick which way of catching up would work best for your situation.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Autogrant exists and this idea is awful.
    Fian, Waring_McMarrin and Skuz like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I do not like the OP suggestion one bit.

And I really dislike Sandaormo's idea.

Tucoh's idea, which he has touted a few times before I do like.

My own suggestion was very similar though I modelled mine after City of Heroes' "side-kick" / "lackey" system.
    code-zero and Tucoh like this.
  15. The real Sandaormo Augur

Looking for your great ideas, not finding them.
  16. Mossaa Augur

My super idea just for you. Keep it as it is.
  17. Angahran Augur

I'd like to see the option to purchase both the XP and AA glyphs, say for 100AA each, and have them heirloom.

Not everyone wants to start new characters when they are max exp, max aa.
  18. Alnitak Augur

The option already exists, it's called Felowship Vitality, essentially an experience sharing at about 50% rate on average. And 50% from a group of 115's mass-killing mobs in ToV/CoV is ALOT for a newly created lvl 85 heroic charcater.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yeah, fellowship is great for box crews not so much random returning player.

Really? Because I’ve posted a lot about modifying the returning player experience and design.

TLDR:
    Level 110 Heroic
    Just sacrifice one zone in the next expansion and build it like DSH. Large zone, leveling pockets, simple kill and reward tasks, 70-110. Filter all your returning players into one zone and maybe they can make friends.
    Hero’s Journey sucks, raid mobs, tradeskills, etc
    HA’s are broken on scaling and TBM gear is tedious to swap around.
    Finding gear from level 60-105 is awful, everyone destroys defiant gear. Defiant gear is trash at level 80. Just make the new gear required level 1 and recommend 115 or create some tradeskill recipes to craft lowbie armor.
    Buffing is annoying, you have to memorize the level ranges for spells. Just go back to level 1 can get any buff, it makes everything easier.

-
  20. Windance Augur

I don't think anyone is going to bite on the XP as a tradable currency because of the potential for abusing it.

Your goal is to increase the replay value of EQ.

What makes you want to replay something you've already done?
    - Its fun ! ... but after the 10th time or 50th time its not really 'fun'
    - There is profit ! ... either plat, gaining XP/AA, other?

Take a look at the group coin used to buy type 5 augs. It takes ~10x HA missions to buy one aug. There are ~15x+ slots so thats 150x missions.

Another example was the gribbles HA's for XP. For a long time it was the best XP / unit time. Folks did it hundreds of times a day... not fun ...

--------------------------

The true problem is rate at which "new" stuff gets added and how "copy/paste" it feels.

We've been playing the same game for 20+ years and there are only so many "new" things to do.

Getting one expansion with a hand full of zones/quests just isn't enough "new" stuff to tide folks over.

So what are the options?

- Increase the amount of new "stuff" being added each year
    - Stagger the release of the expansion like they did with RoF, or adding GMM mid year.
    - Making the "grind" slower so it takes us longer to complete:
    >> which is universally hated level 111-115 grind and likely 116-120
    >> or crazy "raid level" chase items - with requirements like: 350 TS items and/or the crazy TBL achievements.