Returning Wizard

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Saphfyre, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Saphfyre Elder

Greetings! I recently returned to EverQuest and started a wizard on Vox server. Made level 23 really fast in Crescent Reach and having a great time.

I have a few questions. I have looted several pieces of Defiant gear, I know it is the best gear for low level characters. I only have 2 cloth pieces and went to the Bazaar, it was so expensive. I only have like 75pp, is that normal for a starting character? Or is there a good place to farm some platinum?

Are augmentations worth it for low levels? I keep getting augmentation drops and never really use them.

Some armor has stats like Int: +8 +5, why the double modifiers? Does that mean the armor scales with level?

Thanks for your time
  2. Borek-VS Augur

I'm not quite sure where you are seeing double stat modifiers: although yes, some armor does scale with level - perhaps you missed out some brackets? Armor generally now has a required level, and below that level you won't get any stats from the gear; and a recommended level, at which you will be getting max stats from it.

If you did the tutorial, you should have a full set of Defiant equivalent armour; and if you do the Hero's Journey quests, you will get regular updates as you complete quests. Buying low level gear from the Bazaar is most an exercise for twinking, and you should probably ignore it for now, until you know that you are missing an important item - and, for a wizard, your most important items are your spells (and the Staff of Temporal/Elemental Flux, look it up on ZAM).

Low level augs don't have much of an impact, if you have Defiant gear you should be ignoring them until you are closer to max level - where they will be a lot more important.
    Bamp, Felicite, Quatr and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bamp Augur

I have also been playing on Vox for the past threeish weeks. I have a wizzie too and found that getting to 50 was even faster than with most other classes I have been leveling (I have don'tknowwhatclassIwanttoplay syndrome). The merc tank + wiz nukes = fast dead things at least at lower lvls I found. Try Tower of Frozen Shadows once you get to later 20s maybe. It's nice for wizzie since you can port to Iceclad. The exp is at least as good as a hotzone from what I could tell. Keep in mind that it's pretty much impossible to get past the fourth floor without a group or a higher level help due to the named mummy (if it's up) and Cara Omica, though. The exp up to there is very good regardless. You can get past that level with one other player and mercs.

Anyways, as far as defiant gear goes. I suggest using cloth defiant that you find, but unless it has mana regen on it (for wizard) then upgrading from something like Simple defiant to Rough, Ornate, or Flawed defiant isn't really necessary in my opinion. I used the low rank defiant stuff up until I got to 48, then upgraded to the Intricate defiant gear. The Intricate type has some necessary focus upgrades and more mana regen, etc. You can make thousands of plat selling defiant gear that you don't use in bazaar. The mana regen and haste items especially sell well.

Do the hotzone quests from Franklin Teek (who stands outside the Guild Lobby entrance in PoK). The exp boost from the quest is huge, plus the items from the quests are good, and you can sell the ones you don't need to use.

As far as augs go it's just up to you if you want to use them or not at lower levels. For me I just sell them ones that aren't no trade to vendor for a platinum piece or so, but I guess they could be put on bazaar if someone wanted to do that.

For the stats thing that you asked about like the Int: +8 +5, I guess that must be the heroic stat on the second number. This is something on higher level gear that will allow your stats to raise higher than they normally would be able to with just normal stats.

By the way I suggest doing the Staff of Temperate Flux and Staff of Elemental Flux quests when you can. So nice to have a right click pulling item that you can use while moving, and the debuff lowers the targets ice and fire resists. Wizzie staple :)
    Saphfyre likes this.
  4. Bamp Augur

Oh, btw. That link in Boreks sig is worth checking out! I especially found the "Easy Bags" part to be very useful for a returning player myself.

Thanks for that Borek :)
    Pirlo, Quatr, Felicite and 2 others like this.
  5. So Sorry Journeyman

Check to see if you have any loyality points! If you have those, you can get some bags of pp from the loyality vendor. I don't know if the contents of the bag is set based on level or is a static amount. But at lvl 51, I got 14k pp in mine.
    The bag of pp was less than 500 pts, but there's also a giant 100% 18 slot weight redux bag there too.

When it comes to armor, you'll just want to stay a while in a single zone, I would suggest sticking to either Warslick Woods or even Frontier Mountians. Both are hot zones and both have giant forts in them. The XP is awesome, it my experience the armor dropped pretty quick, plus the pp was above fair in both zones. AND, best of all, when I was in Frontier Mountians, I was the only one. Just make sure you have plenty of room.

The tunics and the lore axes sell for good pp to a vendor. You'll want to bind yourself in FM, then port to PoK so that when you get them, you can unload and return in a hurry.
    Saphfyre likes this.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

Saphfyre likes this.
  7. Saphfyre Elder

Quick update:

I went from 23 to 35 really fast (maybe too fast?). But I went broke when buying all my spells up to level 35. Then I remembered that the Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains always dropped good coin.

I leveled from 35 to 40 from just killing Giants and made 4k pp. Good thing too because I had to spend 500 pp on spells for those levels. Also those Giants dropped a ton of Ornate defiant gear, no cloth for me though. I took those non-cloth ornate defiant gears and offered a trade for cloth ornate and got several pieces I needed.

I checked my loyalty points and had enough to buy a 18 slot bag with 100% weight reduction (which helped when holding all those weapons the Giants dropped).

Right now working on the Hot Zone quest, which is Jaggedpine Forest for level 40. Then off to get my Staff of Temperate Flux.

Thanks all!
  8. KC13 Augur

Same for me, I almost never get a drop for the char I'm playing. It must be bad Karma, lol

After you finish that, get the Staff of Elemental Flux.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3233